Advice on MTB wheel rebuild or new and problem with freehub

parkdawg
parkdawg Posts: 4
edited July 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hello all,

I had a bit of a mare today when I went off a jump I didnt know and it whipped me into the air before I knew it I was upside down and the bike landed on top of me! when the fun was over I realised that my front wheel was a little on the wonkey side!! too far gone for the wheel to be realigned.

I have been looking at my options and I am considering a new factory complete, however the thought of just buying the rim for half the price and using the spokes/hub I still have. Does anyone know how much it might cost to get a wheel rebuilt?

2! Before I went out I noticed that my freewheel/freehub wasn't as free as it should have been. I used GT85 on it to try and free it up but the problem hasn't gone. When travelling on the bike the cassette keeps pushing forward with the motion and when the pedals are still the chain then becomes loose. Hard to explain please let me know if you need more detail. I'm either looking for tips on what I should do or adivce on replacements. I have sun ringle ryde xmb on my cube ltd race, I'm not sure if there is a replacement freehub body for this hub? will I have to buy a new complete hub?

Thank you for reading my post and thank you in advance if you are able to help me.

Dave

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    and the hub is a?

to re use the spokes you will need exactly the same rim and pay for a wheel un build and then a rebuild.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • parkdawg
    well the spec says sun ringle ryde xmb wheelset and the hub itself doesn't have and clues on it and it doesn't have any information on it in the paper work I got with the bike! I have tried looking for sun ringle ryde xmb on the net but to no avail!

as a quick guide how much would you say this unbuild/rebuild cost? assuming I have all the components. Thnking about it unless I go for a premium factory build it wont really be worth getting the rebuild!
  • parkdawg
    Thanks for that!! I think I'm prob best getting a wheelset..I'll keep my eye out for a good deal!
  • chojin
    chojin Posts: 67
    **Thread ressurection**

I have this problem with my Sunringlé Ryde XMB freehub (no idea what the actual brand is), I went to my LBS and they said it was a known fault with it - they are sending my wheel back to the factory to be repaired where it will stay for a couple of weeks :/
    2010 Cube AMS Pro 125 RX
    2010 On One 456ss, RS Reba, SLX, Juicy 3s
    2008 Giant XTC 3.5 (Sold)

2010 Cube Attention (RIP, stolen in September)
  • jwmlee
    jwmlee Posts: 9
    My Cube Reaction GTC has developed the same problem. Freehub is knackered after less than a year.
  • zedarex
    zedarex Posts: 6
    Got exactly the same problem with my 8 month old Cube LTD. Crap quality freehub letting down an otherwise excellent bike.