Fuertoventura

alannoir@talktalk.net
edited April 2010 in Routes
I am heading to Fuertoventura for a family holiday in August. The intention is to spend time with the family and do some windsurfing but I hear that there is some decent mountain biking in the Canary Islands.

Has anybody been and done any riding there?

What is it like?

Where should I go?

Are there any particularly good MTB tour companies/guides?

The airline want £80 to transport my bike there and back which is a lot cheaper than hiring but is it worth lugging my bike over or should I just resign myself to the fact that I am not going to get any decent biking and surf all day instead?

Comments

• Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    Yes, did stay at F/tura few years ago, in Coralleco, if that's the right spelling!

Found a great track/trail thro a quarry, up into an old volcano with a viewing point.
    After the dirt, jeep road climb, there are blocks of pumice joined up which is ok with a hardtail. Sandy sections will have you off if yer not careful...

This then dropped down to a small isolated village. Ride was about 2 hrs, but windy/warm, with excellect views to Lanzarote.
    There were other trails, but I didn't venture too far. Electrical storm on the last day!!!

Most hire bikes I've seen are VERY BASIC, and well used.
    Ridden in Lanzarote x 2, Gran Canaria as well. Both very good places, GC a bit better.
    Zakinthos/Zante in Greece very good too.
  • Thanks for the feedback
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    Splottboy wrote:
    Yes, did stay at F/tura few years ago, in Coralleco, if that's the right spelling!
    Corralejo :wink:

But yeah if you can put up with the heat and dust there's riding to be had.we saw loads of bikers when we were there,and when i was walking up the volcano? there were loads of bikers flying down.