Hose Length for Front Disc Brakes, too long? Advise Please.

abarth_1200
abarth_1200 Posts: 370
edited April 2010 in MTB general
Hi everyone regarding my new spesh I picked up a few days ago from my lbs.

The front brake hose was attached to the fork (Rockshox Dart 3) with a cable tie going around the outside, with 2 slight kinks in it. Looking at it now its seems as though it has been routed wrong and not cut to length. I cut off the cable tie and put the mpart cable router and it works better but still doesnt look right

I though the hose was meant to be cable tied to the curved bar (which has 2 lips at the back to position the cable tie) just above the wheel then around the inside of the fork between the tyre. When I try to route the hose this way there is way too much hose to make it curve right and tidy.

Pics of hose below

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn67 ... C00333.jpg

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn67 ... C00334.jpg

What should I do, should I bother and fix it or just leave it be.

What do I need if I were to cut the cable, I know I would need to bleed the system.

How about this

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... delID=8376

would this work with my Tektro Comps. Would I need the Tektro hose kit below

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=34879

And would regular hose cutters cut the braided hose OK.

I have a few more weeks until I can take it back to my lbs for a free service, should I leave it alone and ask them to sort it

Comments

• -liam-
    -liam- Posts: 1,831
    edited April 2010
    You should take it back to the shop and ask them to shorten the hose. They should have no issues doing it foc. That could catch allsorts when out, and it looks a mes....no offence,;)
  • bobpzero
    bobpzero Posts: 1,431
    i would get the lbs to do it, if your not familiar with doing it yourself.
  • abarth_1200
    Damn I could have taken it back today but they are shut now.

About the braided hose I would very much like to do this myself. I have read through a lot of posts on this forum and I am fairly confident, just like to make sure I buy the correct parts before I start and end up bikeless until the right parts are ordered.

Thanks for the quick replies and yes it is a mess compared to what I have seen around here
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    ask then to route it correctly and it will be fine.

it should be mounted on the front of the arch like this.

img0335p.jpg
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • bikaholic
    bikaholic Posts: 350
    nicklouse wrote:

img0335p.jpg

Route like that if you mount the front brake lever on the left; and you want the hose to wear a deep groove in the lowers (check ebay for second hand forks if you don't believe this).

Routing the hose around the back is the correct way. If the hose is carefully cut to length then it will not touch any other part of the frame or fork when in use.

Also, the front hose will not be damaged, or rarely gets damaged when the bars spin around during a crash.
  • bikaholic

rabbish ^

use heli tape and its fine.

as nick said, route the cable properly, doesnt look too long to me... maybe a tad, but nothing to worry about if its properly routed.
  • nicklouse
    bikaholic
    not worn a grove yet an any bike that i have set up.

but each to their own.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • bobpzero
    bobpzero Posts: 1,431
    edited April 2010
    done by crc. to get an idea of what you hope to see once finished
    1 & 2
  • see... I don't want to pass the cable between the fork + wheel, i'd rather go the route that nick shows ^
  • nicklouse
    bobpzero wrote:
    done by crc. to get an idea of what you hope to get
    1 & 2
    different fork casting. the OP has the older version that should be used with a hose carrier/guide as shown in my image.

and i would say that hose is a tad on the short side.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    nicklouse wrote:

img0335p.jpg
    Yep spot on. Spesh provide the hose clip - some bike shops forget to use it however. Halfords forgot to put mine in place and just ziptied the host to the arch. Soon sorted it the same manner as your pic.

Despite what others say, the routing shown causes zero frame rub. The hose does not touch the fork at any point.

OP - this is certainly all you need to do to solve your apparently long looking cable. Trust me, it is not too long.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • abarth_1200
    OK I did it both inside and I tried outside like Nick but decided to go with inside.

My brake lever is on the right hand side and the cable kinda does a llop back on itself.

Pics are self explanatory

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn67 ... C00337.jpg

Im still not quite happy with it, I think Ill get some new hose and proper hose holders and start from scratch routing it around the outside.

About the braided hose on CRC can I use it with Tektro Comps, it doesnt included them in the compatabiltiy list on CRC website, could I just re-use the original fittings with the new braided hose
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Just try a hose clip first - rather than waste money and time on a hose you don't need.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.