These brakes any good?

andy83
andy83 Posts: 1,558
edited April 2010 in Commuting chat
Need some new brakes, basically the winter has killed my bike and brake calipers hardly move anymore (yes ive changed cables and cleaned them)

My bearings have gone on my back wheel so replacing that with an easton ea50 wheel and might aswell do the brakes at the same time. Can only afford to do the back until pay day though so will have a bit of an odd looking bike

Anyway dont want to spend the earth on brakes but are these any good. I have spare pads for this type so dont want to get different style

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Shima ... 360020772/

theyre to replace the standard ones on my trek 1.2

anyone any better cheaper options im happy to listen :)

Thanks in advance

Comments

• roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    105 seems to be workhorse level ie good strong and light with out eye watering prices. don't be afraid to look at other companies though.
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    If you are going to spend that amount of money, get the Ultegra SL ones from Planet X

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/BCSHU10S-FR-GRY
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    Fancy that!, I've just fitted some of these today :)

I only have one on the front at the mo, but I've replaced an old Sora with the 105. I'll most likely replace the rear in a few weeks too.

- A lot smoother than my previous Sora (mostly because the Sora was quite old!)
    - Quick release works better - this didn't work at all on my old brake!
    - Stopping power is a bit better, but not massively. This is probably down to setup/pads anyway. The 105's do actually come with pads which I didn't know (I've got some koolstop pads to try out later as I've heard good things about them).
    - Looks sexy in black!

One problem I did find with the 105s is that the adjuster for the shoe clearance has a slot, into which the outer casing of the brake cable should fit (I think anyway!). The slots actually too small for the brake cable to fit. I could file down the casing I suppose, but instead I found that old Sora adjuster fits, so I'm using that instead.

I would say they aren't bad value for money, but I don't know much about road bike components so just went off the reviews.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    105s with koolstops on is an excellent combination.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • trtimothy
    trtimothy Posts: 117
    good choice of calipers but would have to recommend swissstop pads. Have used ultegra, duraace, koolstop etc but swissstop are simply excellent brakes (have used the clincher and tubular versions and both are great)
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    Just fitted some, they're good. Managed to get a barely used pair with new pads in the classifieds on here for a very fair price.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Yup good brakes but them most are these days, its the pads that make the real difference, koolstops or swissstops are amazing, I can really tell the difference when I'm using my ribble with has plan old standard campag pads, stopping distances are considerably longer.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    A couple of guys at work have the 105s, one other the Ultegras. Both look pretty well made imo. I'd be happy to have 105s on my bike if they fit :)
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,714
    gabriel959 wrote:
    If you are going to spend that amount of money, get the Ultegra SL ones from Planet X

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/BCSHU10S-FR-GRY
    That's a stunning deal. Buy them.
  • andy83
    thanks for replies

hmmm tempted with the ultegra, but im a fussy sod and am in the middle of upgraded most components on bike, just think if I change the mech's levers etc to ultegra will end up costing me a lot more than if I got the 105 stuff. Straight away its £10 more for the brake calipers f & r. Yes I know I may be tight but hopefully getting a second bike soon so cant spend loads.

I have spare koolstops which I currently use and will prob change over when put new brakes on. Have just looked at some second hand ones on ebay etc but I get put off with the term "plenty of life left in them" my current ones have plenty of life if i change the spring and put up with rubbish movement in the caliper

Think im going to purchase the rear for now, just wanted to get peoples opinions on the calipers so thanks
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    the only reason I would get the Ultegras is because they are more adjustable than the 105s.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • andy83
    ah I see

that is a problem ive had with current ones, not much adjustment

hm im tempted, may wait til payday and get the both at the same time.

Thanks
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Planet-X is free P&P, so no point waiting!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • beverick
    beverick Posts: 3,461
    I've got 2003 version 105's on my road bike (with bog standard clarkes pads pressing on Rigida DPX rims). They're ok but, and I appreciate that it could be the pads, they're not that grippy. You do sometimes wonder if you're actually going to stop.

I'm going to try either swiss or kool stop pads next time.

Bob
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    In an attempt to reduce re-use, recycle posts...

I have 4785.jpg

Now... When do I go with replacing the pads - is it when I'm down to the bottom of the groove and there is a solid wedge of brake pad - or when I look down and go - brakes look a bit worn, perhaps I should replace...

ta
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • holybinch
    holybinch Posts: 417
    In an attempt to reduce re-use, recycle posts...

I have 4785.jpg

Now... When do I go with replacing the pads - is it when I'm down to the bottom of the groove and there is a solid wedge of brake pad - or when I look down and go - brakes look a bit worn, perhaps I should replace...

ta

If the groves are not there anymore, it's probably time to replace.
    FCN 4(?) (Commuter - Genesis Croix de Fer)
    FCN 3 (Roadie - Viner Perfecta)

-- Please sponsor me on my London to Paris ride --
    http://www.diabeteschallenge.org.uk/cha ... n_to_paris
  • andrewc3142
    andrewc3142 Posts: 906
    As above, 105s with salmon koolstops work well, dry or wet.

In my experience, with the standard pads in the rain is much the same as brakeless.
  • andy83
    Cheers,

Got the brakes and made me realise how knackered mine are just by seeing how they sprong back, mine done at all, I put them on the weekend, may just put the koolstops on as I know they are good