Forum home Mountain biking forum MTB workshop & tech

Bottom Bracket stuck!

Craig321Craig321 Posts: 169
edited April 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi

I'm too lazy to get a picture right now, so I'll just explain. Will get pics tomorrow if I haven't sorted this out.

This bike is over 5 years old and the BB has never been taken out. I got the chainset off quite easily, however the bottom bracket spline thing is refusing to budge.

I have the correct tools and am turning it clockwise on the drive side (have also tried anti-clockwise on the non drive side).

Also the spline tool just sits in there, it doesn't clip/slide or anything - is this how they are, or have I missed something?

Thanks
Craig.

Posts

  • BignigeBignige Posts: 223
    Bottom Bracket...........haven't you just built your own bike ??? :?
    Ride it like you stole it.........Yeah Baby!!!

    2008 Spesh Enduro SL Expert
    2010 Fuji Roubaix 1.0 Ltd Edition
  • this probibally isnt that helpful, but if you do manage to get one side off, get some wd40 or gt85, and down the inside spray down the frame to the tread of the otherside, then leave it for a couple of mines (say 10 mins maybe) and this should help out a little bit. if you cant get either side out, are you repalcing it? or just checking it over, cause u could cut it out if not :)
  • Craig321Craig321 Posts: 169
    this probibally isnt that helpful, but if you do manage to get one side off, get some wd40 or gt85, and down the inside spray down the frame to the tread of the otherside, then leave it for a couple of mines (say 10 mins maybe) and this should help out a little bit. if you cant get either side out, are you repalcing it? or just checking it over, cause u could cut it out if not :)

    Just maintenance really. Also, there's a nasty bit of metal that's been screwed on behind the spline screw thing that once held one of those plastic things that stop the chain from coming off that I want to get off.

    WD40 hasn't been much help really, I did put some on earlier today when trying, but no luck.
  • Bignige wrote:
    Bottom Bracket...........haven't you just built your own bike ??? :?

    what type off bb?! :roll:
  • ilovedirtilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Take it your LBS, they'll probably have some sort of really long extension for the tool... unless you have some sort of length of pipe or something you can slip over the spanner or whatever it is you're using to get some extra leverage? BB's do tend to seize in there over time if not maintained properly as so much dirt and water and censored gets in there.
    Production Privee Shan

    B'Twin Triban 5
  • unless you have some sort of length of pipe or something you can slip over the spanner or whatever it is you're using to get some extra leverage?

    thats bang on, the more leverage you can get on it the better chance youll have of getting it off. if the tool is coming off use the nut/bolt thingy with a big washer on it and it will hold the tool in place :)
  • ilovedirtilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Craig321 wrote:
    Just maintenance really. Also, there's a nasty bit of metal that's been screwed on behind the spline screw thing that once held one of those plastic things that stop the chain from coming off that I want to get off.
    I would keep that there if i were you if you're not replacing the bb, because if you remove it, you will need to fit a spacer, otherwise the bb won't fit properly.
    Production Privee Shan

    B'Twin Triban 5
  • Craig321Craig321 Posts: 169
    ilovedirt wrote:
    Craig321 wrote:
    Just maintenance really. Also, there's a nasty bit of metal that's been screwed on behind the spline screw thing that once held one of those plastic things that stop the chain from coming off that I want to get off.
    I would keep that there if i were you if you're not replacing the bb, because if you remove it, you will need to fit a spacer, otherwise the bb won't fit properly.

    Good point, it never occurred to me that it might be replacing a spacer.

    However, I still want to get it apart, it needs some cleaning desperately.

    Craig.
  • so what bb is it?
  • nicklousenicklouse Posts: 50,675 Lives Here
    Craig321 wrote:
    Hi

    I'm too lazy to get a picture right now, so I'll just explain. Will get pics tomorrow if I haven't sorted this out.

    This bike is over 5 years old and the BB has never been taken out. I got the chainset off quite easily, however the bottom bracket spline thing is refusing to budge.

    I have the correct tools and am turning it clockwise on the drive side (have also tried anti-clockwise on the non drive side).

    Also the spline tool just sits in there, it doesn't clip/slide or anything - is this how they are, or have I missed something?

    Thanks
    Craig.

    too lazy and you dont answer question.

    so i will ask again.

    What BB is it?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Craig321Craig321 Posts: 169
    Calm down. I don't know, I didn't build and have never taken the bike apart and was never given a spec sheet/list.

    I'll get pictures later.
  • supersonicsupersonic Posts: 82,708 Lives Here
    post some pics - without knowing the BB and interface, we can't help.
  • Craig321Craig321 Posts: 169
    P1000194.JPG

    P1000205.JPG
  • nicklousenicklouse Posts: 50,675 Lives Here
    ok and when you use the tool the BB rotates but stays there.

    does the other end rotate at the same time?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Craig321Craig321 Posts: 169
    nicklouse wrote:
    ok and when you use the tool the BB rotates but stays there.

    does the other end rotate at the same time?

    ?

    I'm trying to get the splined bit off. I'm not just turning the BB freely if that's what you mean :roll:
  • nicklousenicklouse Posts: 50,675 Lives Here
    yes.

    so it is just stuck?

    and that is the only problem?

    try undoing the non drive side first.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Craig321Craig321 Posts: 169
    nicklouse wrote:
    yes.

    so it is just stuck?

    and that is the only problem?

    try undoing the non drive side first.

    I've tried the non drive side, both just as difficult :?
  • redveeredvee Posts: 11,922
    Craig321 wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:
    yes.

    so it is just stuck?

    and that is the only problem?

    try undoing the non drive side first.

    I've tried the non drive side, both just as difficult :?

    You did turn it the opposite way?
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • SalsaSalsa Posts: 753
    Get a big spanner & lock the bb remover in with a large washer & the bolt that came out of the bb (so it won't slip), put all your weight on the big (1 1/4" iirc) spanner & it will undo.

    Alternatively get a socket & breaker bar & again put all your weight on it.

    Remember BB's undo towards the front of the bike which ever side your taking out.

    If you can't shift it take it to a shop, a big spanner will shift it.
  • ilovedirtilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Salsa wrote:
    Remember BB's undo towards the front of the bike which ever side your taking out.
    Cheers for that, i can never remember which way they undo!!
    Production Privee Shan

    B'Twin Triban 5
  • Craig321Craig321 Posts: 169
    Thanks for all the comments guys. I'll look into getting it off some time soon, I have put it back together for now as I think (as mentioned earlier in the thread) the horrible chunk of metal is acting as a spacer, so I'll either sort out a new BB or get a spacer some time.

    Ordered my new bike now anyway, so that's kinda going to be pushed aside :D
  • abducteeabductee Posts: 189
    I've just had this problem and it wouldn't budge until I poured a kettle of boiling water over the frame in the area of the (sqare taper) BB then it came undone.
Sign In or Register to comment.