Commute distance

rob_59
rob_59 Posts: 8
edited April 2010 in Commuting chat

Just wondered what sort of distances people commute.
From picking up comments from the forum, it seems the average might be around about 5 - 10 miles.......there's nothing scientific in that estimation.....just a 'guesstimate' on my part!
So are there any real long distance commuters out there??

Comments

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    You mean actual commute or the detours that some people take on the way?

I do 17 miles each way, used to be 25 until Feb.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • rob_59
    You use to do 25 miles.........that sounds a fair distance .....did do that 5 days a week??

17 must seem like a breeze now!
  • rob_59
    ooh forgot to answer your question.....yes I meant actual commute, not extras!
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Through the winter it was really hard, especially as I was pretty new to it. I'd run quite a bit, it's different muscles. I'd frequently to in one day and home the next. 17 mile on a day like today is a is night and day in comparison.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Mickey Eye
    Mickey Eye Posts: 590
    7 miles as standard in about 35 minutes. Increase is based on time rather than distance, I try to do 2 hours a couple of times a week on the way home.
  • jthef
    jthef Posts: 226
    I do a 12.5 mile comute each way with several roughts on the way home similar length but 400 feet of more climbing on some.
  • don't know miles, but do 26km home from work in the winter and a slightly shorter route of 21km in the summer, but do both there and back in the summer.

rubbish roads though :(
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    13.5 miles ea way; stepped it up to 13.5 and 18 in the evening now, with extended treks at the weekend; 70 planned for Sunday, although this does involve a Sunday lunch at one of my favourite pubs in Oxford half way through..... could be a slow ride baxk.
  • rob_59
    I commute just over 18 miles each way.......I only do it twice a week and I am pretty new to it.
    I consider myself relatively fit for somebody well into middle age(50), I go to a circuit training class 2 or 3 times a week as well as the cycling, and a couple of months ago scored 11.2 in the 'bleep' test, whilst not a startling score, I think is okay for me at my age (just google 'bleep test' for those of you not familiar with it) but when I read that people cycle at 'a comfortable 17 - 20mph', I'm wondering where I'm going wrong.......I only normally mange 14 - 15mph, and I am trying.......I don't just lazily turn the wheels over.

I realise there are all ages and all levels of cyclist out there, but would like to hear what sort of speed others manage?
  • Lancslad
    Lancslad Posts: 307
    17 miles each way thats with no detours, I do it twice a week at the moment as I'm new to cycling and although fit from running like a previous poster said its different muscles. I will look to doing it 3 maybe four times a week it requires me to get up at 4am though...........
    Novice runner & novice cyclist
    Specialized Tricross
    Orbea (Enol I think)
  • Over the last 12 months I have ridden 9 miles each way on my commute but during the summer months I also rode my daughter to school and back on a tandem which added another 16 miles a day.

So it varies between 18 miles and 32 miles a day for commuting.

I then like to have 1 or 2 rides a week of between 20-30 miles just to enjoy the countryside (most of my commuting is in the dark).

I am 54 and overweight but I have lost 15 kilos in the last year.

If Dory (from Finding Nemo) could ride a bike she would say "Just keep riding, riding riding...."
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    15 miles each way.

@night_porter - very impressive weight loss!
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • mkirby
    mkirby Posts: 365
    25 miles each way
  • t0pc4t
    t0pc4t Posts: 947
    man you guys are hardcore. I do about 12 miles each way. I started last year but wussed out over winter when the clocks changed. I am nervous of riding then as I ride on unlit country lanes with lots of blind bends and people drive like idiots.
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    12 each way when i manage to start (out of my hands)
  • rob_59
    hey Lancslad........you sure are dedicated.........I thought I was getting up at 6:00am twice a week.......but 4:00am........I didn't even know there was a 4:00amjavascript:emoticon(':shock:')
  • russmcp
    russmcp Posts: 28
    I was out of my door at 4:50 AM this morning, forgot my gloves so had to turn back....It was bloody cold, feet nearly feel off too even with two pairs of socks.

I can do two routes, one 21 miles fairly flat, and today 19 miles with awful hills.

I'm new to it, and will only do one ride a week at the mo, I'm hoping it will get easier.

I'm knackered tonight, and very saddle sore!
    This fitness lark is getting addictive
  • gb155
    gb155 Posts: 2,048
    I averaged 22 miles this week
    On a Mission to lose 20 stone..Get My Life Back

December 2007 - 39 Stone 05 Lbs

July 2011 - 13 Stone 12 Lbs - Cycled 17851 Miles

http://39stonecyclist.com
    Now the hard work starts.
  • dubnut71
    dubnut71 Posts: 123
    I am managing 17.5 miles each way, 3 times a week. Finding it hard going sometimes on the way in because I skip breakfast and the way home is usually easier and faster!

Stick at it! It must get easier!!!!!
    Planet X Superlight with Fulcrum 3's
    Merlin Malt 1
    Specialied Langster Flat Bar Fixed/Fixed
    Giant Seek 3 (full XT group)
  • gb155
    gb155 Posts: 2,048
    dubnut71 wrote:
    I am managing 17.5 miles each way, 3 times a week. Finding it hard going sometimes on the way in because I skip breakfast and the way home is usually easier and faster!

Stick at it! It must get easier!!!!!

Here Here
    On a Mission to lose 20 stone..Get My Life Back

December 2007 - 39 Stone 05 Lbs

July 2011 - 13 Stone 12 Lbs - Cycled 17851 Miles

http://39stonecyclist.com
    Now the hard work starts.
  • chuckcork
    chuckcork Posts: 1,471
    About 35.5 miles a day (round trip) 4-5 days a week.Some days I'm pushing as hard as I can to go as fast as I can, other days I'm as a result just knackered and spinning low gears and it takes 10 minutes longer to get in.

But yes it does get easier but that is only because you get used to it. Harder is doing it in winter though, when its freezing cold, dark and frequently enough raining. Not at all pleasant, particularly given I ride for the most part on A Roads.

Only way to tackle it is I think to invest in quality gear, "develop character", and tell yourself that however bad it is it could be worse...
    'Twas Mulga Bill, from Eaglehawk, that caught the cycling craze....
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    This is a perennial commuting forum question but the raw distance doesn't tell you much

If you live on flatlands, where is the prevailing wind?
    If you live in hilly areas, do you have a massive climb there and back?
    If you live in an urban area, is there so much traffic light/roundabout BS that you can't get any speed up?

All these factors and plenty more I'm sure you can think of will alter the commute time and so the distance that is possible to do
  • DevUK
    DevUK Posts: 299
    I've just started commuting 20.5 miles a day. My legs are feeling it! So far I've done it twice a week on consecutive days, but I've also been going out and doing 10 or 20 miles over the weekend and on days off.

I'm trying to do the commute at least 4 times this week. Think I'll give it a rest tomorrow as I haven't had a "rest" day since Thursday and my thighs are really feeling it. Still, lost almost half a stone in the last few weeks!
    FCN Daily commute = 11
    FCN Fixie commute = 5
  • dresbo
    dresbo Posts: 129
    rob_59 wrote:
    I commute just over 18 miles each way.......I only do it twice a week and I am pretty new to it.
    I consider myself relatively fit for somebody well into middle age(50), I go to a circuit training class 2 or 3 times a week as well as the cycling, and a couple of months ago scored 11.2 in the 'bleep' test, whilst not a startling score, I think is okay for me at my age (just google 'bleep test' for those of you not familiar with it) but when I read that people cycle at 'a comfortable 17 - 20mph', I'm wondering where I'm going wrong.......I only normally mange 14 - 15mph, and I am trying.......I don't just lazily turn the wheels over.

I realise there are all ages and all levels of cyclist out there, but would like to hear what sort of speed others manage?

I go full out at all times and would be doing 20-25mph on the flats. You'll only get to this speed without serious effort if you have thin, well pumped up tyres, a light well fitted road bike and minimal head wind. On my mtb I'd be lucky to get up to 15 on the flats. A nice road bike feels like flying in comparison.
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    dubnut71 wrote:
    I am managing 17.5 miles each way, 3 times a week

You need to update your ticker then (or did you only start it last week?)

I do 18 miles each way. 3 times a week last year but cranked it up to 4 times a week this year.
    FCN = 4