it was confusing before!

joshtp
joshtp Posts: 3,966
edited April 2010 in MTB general
http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/news/artic ... neup-25772

ok, so what is the point of the sid now, or alternately, the reba?

from what i can work out:

Sid is top end XC/ v.light trail, then the reba is middle price, recon race/team etc is next then tora sl/team/race is the budget

Revelation is top end light long travel,(AM)Then the Sector is like a longer Reba, sitting above the recons but below the rev's, its also a testing platform for the QR15. but then the numbred (318...) recons sit below, and the numbred tora's below that.

The pike is like a rev but heavyer and stronger and stiffer (only a bit though) which puts it more definitvely in the AM area.
the Argyle is like a short Pike for DJ/4X

The Domain is a budget Totem, and the lyric is like a cross between a totem and a REV, kind of long travel AM, short travel freeridde. the new Domain thripple is like a budget Boxxer, which is that all out race fork, but its more for freeride.

the Dart is just Crap

There are probaly more, i just dont know them

then all these are split up into numbers, and names EG race, team, 318,335...
then they all have options, like solo air, dual air, coil, uturn, MC, BBMC.

how confusing is the RS range!!?!?!?
its lke a joke!
I like bikes and stuff

Comments

• handful
    handful Posts: 920

I'm confused after reading that :lol:
    Vaaru Titanium Sram Red eTap
    Moda Chord with drop bars and Rival shifters - winter/do it all bike
    Orbea Rise
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    I think they're going to drop a fair few forks pretty soon.

I'd guess the pike and reba will probably along with a few more.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Pike definately needs some love. There isn't an air rev any more is there? So maybe a 150mm springy blackbox Pike or something. But as it is, it's pretty antique. Reba's starting to look pretty pointles though maybe they could call that a hardcore short travel fork or something, the reba maxle still works really well in a 120mm bike.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • bike-a-swan
    bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
    Clear as mud! Although I reckon they should keep the SID as a racers fork only. Then the Reba (or equivalent) for the short trail, Rev as the long trail, Lyrik and so on up the progression to downhill. The other forks fulfil the various budget ranges. With the sektor covering the trail market I think something will come in for the short travel lot, and a few of the existing ones at the lower level will be dropped.
    Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.
  • KitsuneAndy
    KitsuneAndy Posts: 164
    Northwind wrote:
    Pike definitely needs some love. There isn't an air rev any more is there? So maybe a 150mm springy blackbox Pike or something. But as it is, it's pretty antique. Reba's starting to look pretty pointles though maybe they could call that a hardcore short travel fork or something, the reba maxle still works really well in a 120mm bike.

I thought all of the revs were air now? I've got the 2010 Rev Race and they're dual air
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The RS website shows all current forks and describes the options well.
  • Northwind
    I thought all of the revs were air now? I've got the 2010 Rev Race and they're dual air

Apart from the bit where I said "isn't" instead of "is only" I was spot on though :oops:

Seems to me that Pikes are mainly for people who should be buying Revs but are deluded into thinking they're too hardcore for "trail forks" :wink: So that's a genuine niche.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • RealMan
    RealMan Posts: 2,166
    I bought revs cause I couldn't see the point in pikes. They're just revs that have been made heavier, it seems.
  • supersonic
    And stiffer, stronger - less likely to break.
  • RealMan
    Never seen a pair of broken revs. They're not exactly made of cardboard either.

This whole stronger forks are better thing, what's with that. I don't think I've ever seen a broken pair of suspension forks. I can accept the stiffer argument, but does the weight warrant it?
  • supersonic
    I've seen dozens of broken pairs of forks. Pikes will take more abuse, simple as that.

Revs don't break when used for the intended terrain.
  • RealMan
    supersonic wrote:
    I've seen dozens of broken pairs of forks. Pikes will take more abuse, simple as that.

Of suspension forks? And not ones off £50 halfords bikes that have been left out in the rain for months?

I just searched on google and could only turn up one result of a broken fork http://media.nscdn.com/uploads/member/p ... n_fork.JPG

Pretty nasty. But I really doubt many people out there are using their pikes in a way that a rev wouldn't be able to handle.
  • Northwind
    Yup, but these days more and more the bigger forks are coming down in price and the lengths are creeping up so a hardcore fork that's "only" 140mm is kind of falling between. Never had a set in my hands but according to the bikeradar review Lyrik 2steps are only 2.46lbs so barely more than a Pike, frinstance. And the pricing isn't great either. What I'm saying basically is that it's been left behind and a lot of people buy them for the wrong reasons when they'd be fine with a revelation. Which is a shame because there's no doubt they could make a better Pike if they bothered.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • supersonic
    Boxxers, Pikes, SIDS... pretty much them all.
  • RealMan
    You've seen a broken boxxer? Surely it must be a complete clown of a rider doing something ridiculously stupid to break those.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    All I know is I have reba race, and would love some sid teams with poploc, or if they do it, hydraulic lockout switch thing