Locks: Chain & Paddlock or D-Lock

TheWildHaggis
TheWildHaggis Posts: 143
edited April 2010 in Commuting chat
Folks,

I understand that most ocks can be broken using power tools, and that more expensive locks will just slow down the determined theif.

At the moment, my bike is currently in a secured bike shed, locked with two cable locks in my works car park. However I have been told that for the next few weeks I will be in a different office with no such facilitys.

I understand cable locks are cr@p and easy to break, so what would be best to use? A D-Lock or a chain and paddlock. I can get a decent 18mm anchor chain and a padlock for about £40, the same price as a decent D-Lock.

What do you think?
BeOne Frame, RockShox Recon, Mavic 719 XT Hubs, Elixr R brakes, floating rotor, SLX Drivetrain.
Webdesign project http://www.nfpc.org.uk

Comments

• Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    All 3

Leave them where you are going to be locking the bike up, so you don't have to carry them

I use a cable lock and D-Lock for my bike - and they are left permanently at work
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Zachariah
    Zachariah Posts: 782
    It is sadly true that pretty much any security device you can employ can be defeated by a determined thief. All you can do is lower the probability of having your bike stolen or damaged.
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    Folks,

I understand that most ocks can be broken using power tools, and that more expensive locks will just slow down the determined theif.

At the moment, my bike is currently in a secured bike shed, locked with two cable locks in my works car park. However I have been told that for the next few weeks I will be in a different office with no such facilitys.

I understand cable locks are cr@p and easy to break, so what would be best to use? A D-Lock or a chain and paddlock. I can get a decent 18mm anchor chain and a padlock for about £40, the same price as a decent D-Lock.

What do you think?

no chance of hiding it under the stairs inside?

if you don't know the place it may be a good idea to scope it out and get something appropriate, I have one D lock thats very good but way too thin for the sturdy lampposts at work.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The anchor chain and padlock is a good idea - as that diameter is usually too much for most bolt croppers.