commuter road rage

jnr_h
jnr_h Posts: 18
edited April 2010 in Commuting chat
Why is it that the slowest ppl are the ones who repass you while waiting at lights and then stop and stand in front of you in the intersection? Is there something I am missing? It seems to always be the case, but has anyone else then been abused afterwards too?

Yesterday some a55hat on a single speed comes and rides round me tries to do a track stand in front of me, then puts his foot down. We pull off, I am waiting for an appropriate time to pass him and carry on at my pace, and he turns and starts swearing and flooking at me about riding too close, then hooks the back brake and locks the back wheel in front of mel. I rode up next to him and pointed out (somewhat angrily) that he had just ridden around me and parked in front of me. Then he started ranting about having been ridden into previously by people.
I siad "Whatever", and then dropped him. I got home and felt like I should've just shoved him into a bus shelter or parked car. Or that I should ride with a 'front wheel stick' ready for future encounters.

Typical farken commuting champion on his trendy single speed; sees a mtn bike with knobblies and suddenly thinks that his name is Fabian.

Comments

• BR 1979
    BR 1979 Posts: 296
    Most people in the world are c*nts, in my opinion.

Don't worry about it.

I try and avoid any sort of road rage incident, but on being called a "dick" by a Roman featured, Italian plated scooter boy, I did have to point out that he "had a nose that looked like it wants breaking". Hated myself for it afterwards of course. :lol:

Best thing to do is avoid and ignore. Sounds like you did the right thing. :)
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    It's almost the weekend. Breathe deeply and let it go (assuming your working week ends today, that is).

I'm slow and know it so I stay at the back, unless I'm the first one. It always amuses me when situs similiar to you yours happen. So pointless.
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    jnr_h wrote:
    Why is it that the slowest ppl are the ones who repass you while waiting at lights and then stop and stand in front of you in the intersection? Is there something I am missing? .....

~Isn't that what motorists say about cyclists who move to front of queue ahead of the cars?
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I like them getting in front of me, it gives me a rare opportunity to overtake and feel like a cycling god. :)
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    spen666 wrote:
    jnr_h wrote:
    Why is it that the slowest ppl are the ones who repass you while waiting at lights and then stop and stand in front of you in the intersection? Is there something I am missing? .....

~Isn't that what motorists say about cyclists who move to front of queue ahead of the cars?

Not in London, they are the slow ones :wink:

OP, just smile and accept the fact he was a tool and that you dropped him with ease.
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    The existence of nobheads in the world is a way for you to set yourself apart from them.

Just point and laugh at them and then move on.

And welcome to the forum!
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    I'd had a bit of bike rage this am with a cock on a Genesis who spat over his shoulder without looking. His effluent travelled a fair old way thanks to the nasty headwind, and quite a bit of it hit me. I had a polite (and I do mean genuinely polite) word at the lights and he aggressively accused me of drafting - I was a good 5 metres behind him and we were both slowing for a red light - which he then jumped after our chat. Proceeded to jump every ride light for the next 3 miles... I think he was annoyed that I kept passing him. Utter c*unt. It'd be nice if fellow cyclists could be civil to each other, spitting without having the decency to check is a serious breach of etiquette in my book, esp when it's windy.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    I'd had a bit of bike rage this am with a fool on a Genesis who spat over his shoulder without looking. His effluent travelled a fair old way thanks to the nasty headwind, and quite a bit of it hit me. I had a polite (and I do mean genuinely polite) word at the lights and he aggressively accused me of drafting - I was a good 5 metres behind him and we were both slowing for a red light - which he then jumped after our chat. Proceeded to jump every ride light for the next 3 miles... I think he was annoyed that I kept passing him. Utter c*unt. It'd be nice if fellow cyclists could be civil to each other, spitting without having the decency to check is a serious breach of etiquette in my book, esp when it's windy.
    +bazillion. Check before you spit or snot-rocket. How fecking hard is it? FFS
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I had a guy snot rocket in front of me as I was catching him... fortunately he aimed DOWN. A little too enthusiastically as it turned out.. :?

I distinctly heard a "EURGH!" when he looked at his leg..... :roll:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • t0pc4t
    t0pc4t Posts: 947
    I had a chap who kept trying to pass me by shooting over junctions, in the end I let him waited for a hill then smashed past him in top while smiling, waving and making it obvious that I was expending minimal effort.
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • This all sounds like fair weather cyclists; bad manners at lights, aggressive behaviour toward other cyclists etc.

I find blanking them is better as it reinforces (to them) that they are just visiting this way of life & aren't a proper part of it.
  • t0pc4t
    t0pc4t Posts: 947
    my brother always moans about fair weather cyclists, but then he moans about most things
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • Fair weathers are normally the ones causing trouble though.

Its because they spend most of their time in cars and rides they bikes in the same way.
  • gaz545
    gaz545 Posts: 493
    I would have just waved at him and then BAM POWER!!!!
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    Someone ran into the back of me this morning.

I said, "What that **** are you doing?"

He said, "There are people behind you, you shouldn't stop suddenly."

I said, "I'm at a red light!"

He went through it to the opposite side of a ped crossing.

The light went green. He was too far ahead of it to see.

Is this the right thread?
  • chuckcork
    chuckcork Posts: 1,471
    I'm finding on a stretch in Esher that I'll pass bikes on the downhill past Sandown racecourse where I get up to about 25mph, get to the pub at the bottom and then have to stop at the lights, and then 30s later the bike I've passed is going past me to turn left towards the railway station.

Rather annoying as with the warm dry weather bringing the summer-only types out of hibernation its happening just about every day.

Maybe Surrey police need a push...
    'Twas Mulga Bill, from Eaglehawk, that caught the cycling craze....
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    Someone ran into the back of me this morning.

I said, "What that **** are you doing?"

He said, "There are people behind you, you shouldn't stop suddenly."

I said, "I'm at a red light!"

He went through it to the opposite side of a ped crossing.

The light went green. He was too far ahead of it to see.

Is this the right thread?

I had some goon lock up his back wheel behind me as I stopped for red light at a ped crossing coming into the wharf yesterday.

he then did the same trick coming up to another set of lights (red) then undertook me in too small a gap before RLJing the lights.

He works in the same office (apparently) as me so we then had the joy of thirty seconds later having me silently trackstand behind him with my Zen "you're a dick" face on.... That will have shown him..
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • jnr_h wrote:
    Typical farken commuting champion on his trendy single speed; sees a mtn bike with knobblies and suddenly thinks that his name is Fabian.

:lol::lol::lol:

Don't get stressed about some w***er with a chip on his shoulder. Enjoy the ride.
  • kurako
    kurako Posts: 1,098
    Here's a clueless dude from this morning. I don't mean to sound all elitist but he was on a Carrera hybrid :evil:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPs79jNoCVg
  • russmcp
    russmcp Posts: 28
    chuckcork wrote:
    I'm finding on a stretch in Esher that I'll pass bikes on the downhill past Sandown racecourse where I get up to about 25mph, get to the pub at the bottom and then have to stop at the lights, and then 30s later the bike I've passed is going past me to turn left towards the railway station.

Rather annoying as with the warm dry weather bringing the summer-only types out of hibernation its happening just about every day.

Maybe Surrey police need a push...

I doubt Surrey Police will........
    This fitness lark is getting addictive
  • Skippy2309
    Skippy2309 Posts: 426
    i was discussing this with someone today and yesterday, he used to be a bus driver and was actually quite interested in road biking, after he heard about my accident at the weekend (should be getting or ordering a hand built on sunday), was explaining how drafting works, etc. then I saw the classic plonker pull up in front of someone who was just crusing at 27mph and proceed to pull away wobbling and doing around 10mph blocking a nice long queue of cyclists.

My personal pet hate is the headphones - seriously the people are dangerous as they cant hear anything and stick an arm out without checking behind first :roll:
    FCN: 5/6 Fixed Gear (quite rapid) in normal clothes and clips :D

Cannondale CAAD9 / Mongoose Maurice (heavily modified)