2010 Rockrider 8.1

symmetree
symmetree Posts: 23
edited July 2010 in Your mountain bikes
Here's my new Rockrider 8.1 I'm very happy with it! it's all the bike I need. Smooth and fast on the road, and more than capable off road. It's 23" XL frame fits my 6'7" body perfectly. The Michelin tyres are great, the SRAM x7 gears are silky smooth after a little tweaking of the cables. The Avid Juicy hydraulic discs stop on a dime and the Tora forks with remote lockout are excellent, and stiff enough for my weight. My only gripe would be the saddle. It's ok for short rides, but for longer distances i find myself shifting my weight to one side, I might eventually invest in a Charge Spoon saddle for comfort.

Rockrider1.jpgRockrider2.jpgRockrider3.jpgRockrider4.jpgRockrider5.jpgRockrider6.jpgRockrider7.jpg
Rockrider8.jpg

I was looking at a Carrera Fury, which I liked but the 20" L frame was just a tad too small to be comfortable, would've needed risers. The XL Spesh Hardrock Pro fit me as perfectly as the Rockrider, and was slightly lighter, but the superior components on the Rockrider won we over.

Comments

• ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Nice one, a friend of mine has one of these, really nice bike, although a bit too racy feeling for me. I was really impressed with the detailing on the frame - gussets, seatstays etc.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Bill-87
    Bill-87 Posts: 155
    Cracking looking bike. Good positioning of the pictures too, teasing you with little bits of the bike then hitting you with the full thing.

Billy
  • mrfmilo
    mrfmilo Posts: 2,250
    Looks good 8) That Fizik saddle is the best saddle ever made IMO :lol: :?
  • JamesBrckmn
    JamesBrckmn Posts: 1,360
    i have the version below that, the 5 XC, and it's a great bike, but the saddle was terrible, so i have now replaced the saddle, grips, tyres, pedals, forks, handlebars and stem. i got a charge spoon too, and you won't be dissapointed :D
  • Bred2shred
    Bred2shred Posts: 306
    I so very nearly bought me one of those after seeing them in the flesh, it's a cracking looking bike.

I ended up going down a totally different route alltogether and am now the proud owner of a shiney new Kona Hoss.
    Never argue with an idiot, he'll only drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
  • symmetree
    Yeah I'm well pleased with the look as much as the components. The tapered frame is beautiful, I'm a big fan of the red-wine dark-purple paintwork. I'm wondering if I should go back and ask Decathalon to exchange the clipless pedals for regular ones. or at the very least, supply me with the necessary cleats for the SPDs. I got no documentation on the forks or gearing either.
  • JamesBrckmn
    JamesBrckmn Posts: 1,360
    i didn't get any documents with the bike on setting it up and maintenance etc. with my 5 XC
  • symmetree
    I'm going to ring up Decathalon tomorrow to complain about not being supplied cleats. But actually I want them to exchange the clipless pedals for flats.

EDIT: Did you ask for them James?
  • Bred2shred
    Bred2shred Posts: 306
    You should be able to get the manual from the roxshock website, but it's not really the point is it.

The clipless pedals were one thing that i didn't like about the bike and thet really should have supplied the cleats and the manual for those too.

Let us know how you get on with trying to swap 'em.
    Never argue with an idiot, he'll only drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
  • symmetree
    I just cycled back to Decathlon. 'Ballage' the beefcake french mofo I spoke to on the phone sorted me out with the cleats that should've come with the clipless pedals. He said they supply the cleats with the exact same pedals on the 8.2 but *to save money* they don't supply them on the 8.1 (unless you kick up a bit of fuss for them). I also purchased a nice grippy pair of aluminium MTB flat pedals and got them fitted right there and then for free. I was hoping to 'buy' them with the bucket-load of points I collected on my loyalty card, but aparently I have to wait until they post me out voucher coupons in exchange for the points :roll: anyways, I'm happy with my new flats, and I have the SPDs with cleats if I want to go back to them in the future. I forgot to ask for user-manuals for the components, d'oh!
  • Wappygixer
    Wappygixer Posts: 1,396
    symmetree wrote:
    I just cycled back to Decathlon. 'Ballage' the beefcake french mofo I spoke to on the phone sorted me out with the cleats that should've come with the clipless pedals. He said they supply the cleats with the exact same pedals on the 8.2 but *to save money* they don't supply them on the 8.1 (unless you kick up a bit of fuss for them). I also purchased a nice grippy pair of aluminium MTB flat pedals and got them fitted right there and then for free. I was hoping to 'buy' them with the bucket-load of points I collected on my loyalty card, but aparently I have to wait until they post me out voucher coupons in exchange for the points :roll: anyways, I'm happy with my new flats, and I have the SPDs with cleats if I want to go back to them in the future. I forgot to ask for user-manuals for the components, d'oh!

the pedals on the 8.1 and 8.2 are different.The 8.1 has welgo and the 8.2 has xpedo.They both take the same cleats too.Both bikes are supplied with cleats.
    Documentation should be given with every bike in the form of a black zip up folder which has drive chain,fork and general bike info.
    I'm guessing you bought the bike from Surrey Quays?I' will email them tomorrow and make sure they correct this procedure.
    I work for Decathlon Stockport and am responsible for training the northern stores.I always relay this info and hope its followed at all times.
    Any issuesdrop me a line from the Decathlon.co.uk website aimed to the Stockport store and I'll see what I can do
  • symmetree
    Wappygixer wrote:
    the pedals on the 8.1 and 8.2 are different.The 8.1 has welgo and the 8.2 has xpedo.They both take the same cleats too.Both bikes are supplied with cleats.
    Documentation should be given with every bike in the form of a black zip up folder which has drive chain,fork and general bike info.
    I'm guessing you bought the bike from Surrey Quays?I' will email them tomorrow and make sure they correct this procedure.
    I work for Decathlon Stockport and am responsible for training the northern stores.I always relay this info and hope its followed at all times.
    Any issuesdrop me a line from the Decathlon.co.uk website aimed to the Stockport store and I'll see what I can do

Hi Wappy, cheers for the reply. I was told over the phone by that French dude that they don't sell the Rockrider 8.1 with cleats. Once I told him how that didn't sound right to me because those clipless pedals should always be sold with their cleats, he eventually conceded and said if I come into the store he'll give me a pair of cleats. (but that means for all the people who haven't specifically kicked up a fuss for the cleats, they've been short changed by the Surrey Quays store). I know you're not in charge of the southern stores, and have said you will email them anyways, but do you mind me asking what your real name is? So I can quote you to the Surrey Quays store when I ring them up again later today looking for my black zip folder of documents?

Thanks a lot for your help,
    Colm Watkins.
  • Wappygixer
    Wappygixer Posts: 1,396
    PM sent
  • PamPen25
    PamPen25 Posts: 111
    :( I want one!
  • hard-rider
    hard-rider Posts: 460
    Yep, you should definitely get the black zip up folder will all documents and user manuals. Here in Portugal the manuals are hanging off the seat post on all the bikes on display in the store. A friend bought a Rockrider (a 5 series not 8 series) a few weeks ago and she got all the relevant documents with her bike. It's something I specifically checked when she bought it.
  • After a lot of looking for a long time and trying out a lot of high speced bikes in May i bought the Rockrider 8.1 XL the paint colour leaves a bit to be desired but under it lies a wolf in sheeps clothing make no mistake this is a very high spec race ready bike. The only change i have made is to ditched the spd's for Halfords GT extra wide pedals to take my extra wide size 12s this proved to be good investment after spending the day at Sherwood Pines putting the bike through its paces it handled like an absolute dream and left me gagging for more. Does this bike do what it says on the tin no it delivers a damm site more and with a Guarantee of 5 years on frame, 2 years on fork, parts this machine is an understated bargin.
    :lol::D
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Yeah it's a good price and some decent kit, although i wouldn't quite say "high spec race ready"...
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5