panracer - ribmo

mcowan77
mcowan77 Posts: 560
edited June 2010 in Commuting chat
anyone have these tyres???...any good???

getting them fitted onto my new road bike for communting

Comments

• andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    I've just put the size 32's on our touring bikes, not tried them yet but they come up narrower and taller than I was expecting, so may be an issue with mudguards.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    Used them on the hybrid up until the weekend just gone.

Found them to roll reasonably well, but did find them a bit twitchy in the wet; went off on one occassion as I was leaning into a corner in the wet.

Swapped the front tyre out in February (after 2000 miles) as I went over something, which caused the front to blow quite dramatically and put a 2" gash in the tyre. The back tyre is still in good condition after approx 3000 miles.
  • mcowan77
    getting 700 x 23's put on my road bike......

how do they compare agaisnt gatorskins or marathon plus????
  • gbsahne001
    ironically swapped them for gatorskins and the gs do roll better but then I'd expect that, as I went from 700 x 35 to 700 x 28; the bike does feel more stable though.
  • mcowan77
    cheers mate

did u have many punctures with them?
  • gbsahne001
    edited April 2010
    other than the major blowout of the front;; none for 3000 miles on the back.

Of course now that I've written that, I'm sure to get a visitation from she who cannot be named
  • mcowan77
    u had gatorskins on before?
  • gbsahne001
    no, got them on now
  • mcowan77
    decisions!!!!!

if you were to choose again, wot would it be???
  • gbsahne001
    probably the gatorskins, although I'm using GP4000 on the CX, which are nice but am not sure whether they will be as tough as either the RibMo or the Gatorskins
  • Snudge
    Snudge Posts: 40
    Have had RibMo on the front for nearly a year - no issues but expensive - they did squeal when turning tightly which made me a bit more careful. 2 years for New Marathon on rear - few issues. Gatorskins - tried them after recommendations - disappointed as sidewalls split after only a few hundred miles.
  • gbsahne001
    hmmm, doesn't sound good for the gators.... time will tell
  • peach1
    peach1 Posts: 4
    before fitting I'd expect a puncture (I don't fear this word anymore) every few weeks. 15 months and 5,000 miles later without any. Found them a swine to fit so probably just as well. wouldn't use anything else and I've tried a few.
  • mcowan77
    cheers folks

ill give the ribmos a shot!!
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    gbsahne wrote:

Found them to roll reasonably well, but did find them a bit twitchy in the wet; went off on one occassion as I was leaning into a corner in the wet.

I've only got one on the back but I found the same (although I haven't come off because of it). Still, when I needed a new front tyre I went for something else.

I've had it about 9 months and only 1 flat, and it looks to be wearing pretty well.
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne wrote:
    hmmm, doesn't sound good for the gators.... time will tell

1000 miles in on them and like someone else mentioned above "cut to pieces", first visit today and I suspect wont be the last.

Might steal the Marathon+ of the wifes bike