Looking for routes in South/South East London

symmetree
symmetree Posts: 23
edited May 2010 in Routes
I'm interested in finding some local routes if anyone knows of some in South and South East London? Lewisham/Bromley area.

Comments

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,480
    It's a bit tricky finding anything of any length around this way without going on a lot of tarmac in between the off-road bits. I usually head out of town down the A21 to Bedgebury Forest or Bewl reservoir: locally the woods in Beckenham Place Park & paths around municipal golf course there are good for a bit of mucking about, although there's not too much of it !
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • symmetree
    Cheers Stevo, I've already taken the new bike to Crystal Palace Park. Beckenham Place Park is also easily within cycling distance. I'll go check it out.
  • Stevo_666
    Beckenham Place Park is much better - you've got some woodland paths and trails (not too challenging mind), with a bit of gradient to keep things interesting and one small drop off near the railway bridge in there - and almost no people to get in the way.

And it has the added advantage for me that it's only about 500 yards from my front door :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • StefanP
    StefanP Posts: 429
    The north downs is not too much of a cycle away. Buy yourself an OS map and you can pretty easily make a 20mile circuit with only a little road cycling on some lanes and mostly on bridleways. New Addington would be a good starting point :)
  • symmetree
    Cheers Stefan, I'll look into that.

Stevo, just found out from my housemate that him and his BMX riding friends helped buidt some trails down there in Beckenham Place Park about 1 or 2 years ago!
  • Stevo_666
    symmetree wrote:
    Stevo, just found out from my housemate that him and his BMX riding friends helped buidt some trails down there in Beckenham Place Park about 1 or 2 years ago!
    Interesting - I've not seen anything that looks built. It all looks like paths & trails that are just there due to people passing through on foot from time to time. Can you ask them exactly where as I wouldn't mind a go? - although maybe not easy to describe as there's no almost no signs.

Cheers,
    Steve.
  • symmetree
    I enjoyed Beckenham Place Park a lot. It's so huge, there's plenty of light short paths in amongst the trees and down off the golf course and those drop offs by the bridge. It's a perfect place to test the bike out for the first time. The forks handled really well, and the brakes are feckin awesome. The BMX trails, my housemate built, I couldn't find, but I didn't know where to look, until I asked him tonight after he came home, they're right in the corner, by Ravensbourne Rail station. If you go out onto the road, and cycle over the other bridge (outside the rail station) and turn left into that bit of woods, they were in there, about a year ago. I dunno what condition they're in now though. :?
  • Stevo_666
    symmetree wrote:
    I enjoyed Beckenham Place Park a lot. It's so huge, there's plenty of light short paths in amongst the trees and down off the golf course and those drop offs by the bridge. It's a perfect place to test the bike out for the first time. The forks handled really well, and the brakes are feckin awesome. The BMX trails, my housemate built, I couldn't find, but I didn't know where to look, until I asked him tonight after he came home, they're right in the corner, by Ravensbourne Rail station. If you go out onto the road, and cycle over the other bridge (outside the rail station) and turn left into that bit of woods, they were in there, about a year ago. I dunno what condition they're in now though. :?
    Nice one mate. There are quite a few smaller trails off the main ones that usually come out somewhere - just watch out for the odd fallen tree!

Doh - those BMX trails are right on one of the two entrances to the woods that I use :oops: Just didn't think of them at the time.... They're still in half decent condition but looking a bit 'natural' now.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    If you don't mind venturing a little SW of London (well, just west of Gatwick), there's the Surrey Hills. Loads of stuff around there. One of the best, if not the best areas in the S/SE of the country in my opinion.

Check out these threads:

London Calling

Surrey Hills - where to start?

Further west by Bracknell there's Swinley Forest but that's probably quite a trek. Kind of a trail centre. Very good, though not much in the way of hills, but still plenty of good stuff.
  • Stevo_666
    deadkenny wrote:
    If you don't mind venturing a little SW of London (well, just west of Gatwick), there's the Surrey Hills. Loads of stuff around there. One of the best, if not the best areas in the S/SE of the country in my opinion.

Been there once for a bit of instruction - top place. On my list for the summer !
  • MP 2484
    MP 2484 Posts: 10
    There is loads of trails round Keston/Hayes common heading out to Biggin Hill, High Elms and Shirley. I ride there all the time.

Regards
    Mike
  • CXXC
    CXXC Posts: 237
    MP 2484 wrote:
    There is loads of trails round Keston/Hayes common heading out to Biggin Hill, High Elms and Shirley. I ride there all the time.

+1

www.redlightjump.co.uk

FCN 3 (FCN 4 if I'm carrying clean pants)
  • bickie
    bickie Posts: 24
    CXXC wrote:
    MP 2484 wrote:

+1

You could try bigfootbike club they have regular rides around Hayes etc.

http://www.bigfootbikeclub.org/
  • MP 2484
    MP 2484 Posts: 10
    Bigfoot are a very friendly club. i'm a member. Should've mentioned that really. Do you have decent lights as we do night rides on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

Mike
  • Stevo_666
    MP 2484 wrote:
    Bigfoot are a very friendly club. i'm a member. Should've mentioned that really. Do you have decent lights as we do night rides on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

Mike
    Heard about this - need to get some lights !
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    Just made this route for you, don't tell anyone though, its awesome :P

http://www.mapmyride.com/route/gb/null/ ... 8099459373

It's around the Keston (bout 25mins bikey ride from Beckenham) area, one of my favourite routes and doesn't take that long.

Got a great fast downhill section through the woods, and the climb up isn't too bad. The road back to the start is also downhill and very very fast - it's good either direction too.
  • Stevo_666
    Thanks for that 8) Your secret is safe with me....
  • twebeast
    twebeast Posts: 10
    Dirt magazine go on about the Bumming Woods, which is meant to be Crystal Palace gay cruising area somewhere. Googling that and SE Raggers, who ride there would give you a start. The vids look quite fun at least.

I've heard there are these mythical water-bourn things called ferries which ship folk across the River for a golden coin. Might make a more pleasant and easier crossing than the tunnels or bridges?