Whistle Stop Trip to UK - Any Route Suggestions?

Yorkshire Dave
Yorkshire Dave Posts: 4
edited April 2010 in Routes
Hi guys,

I'm new to the forum and just seeking some recommendations for some 'must do' rides/routes in the UK. I'm from the UK, but now living in NZ and I've really got into MTB'ing while I've been out here. I'll be back in the UK for a few weeks over Christmas/New Years and I'm debating whether to bring my bike back with me. I'll be in Leeds for most of the time, but I'd be willing to travel a bit to get in a couple of days of really good stuff.

I'm more into downhill and single track (basically anything fast!) but I'm not really into big jumps, etc. (don't always land it and don't want to spend my holidays back home on crutches!). I'm quite partial to a bit of cross country every now and again, but will be bringing back my Merida One-Five-O, which isn't really suited to that.

Any suggestions are welcome as I've no idea of where to start as I didn't really ride when I was back in the UK. That said, I've heard menton of Innerleithen, which looks worth a look.

Any hints or tips greatly apprciated!
Cheers,
Dave :D
New bike - bust knee within a month - 9 months no riding - getting fat....

Comments

• spodomodo
    spodomodo Posts: 48
    Generally I prefer natural trails to the forestry centres - so this suggestion is a bit biased.

Lots of great riding near Leeds - I'd head for the Dales. One of my favorites is the tour of Nidderdale - but lots of good rides in the southern and western Dales starting at places like Skipton and Settle. There's fantastic routes in and around the three peaks - Ingleborough, Pen y Ghent, Whernside and around Malham Tarn, Mastiles Lane etc. The Vertebrate Graphics guide books - one for the Northern Dales and one for the Southern (the routes above are in this one) are excellent.

Good luck.

S