Taking it to the next level

Wrath Rob
Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
edited April 2010 in Commuting chat
The company bike2work scheme has finally paid out and I'm the proud owner of a new Sunday Best bike (hmmmmmm, carbon loveliness!) which means that I can turn the Boardman into a more commute focussed machine. The current plan is to get it fully serviced (I can fee the chain slipping a tooth occasionally) and remove the front deraileur. I'm also thinking to go up to 25mm tyres for a slightly softer ride than the current 23's. I'm planning on fitting a frame mounted pump and a bag of some kind to hold my tools so that I don't have to use a rucksack unless I need to carry stuff in/out of work. Finally I want to change the rear cassette as 9 gears is overkill for my flat commute.

The plan for the latter was to replace the cassette with 3 spacers, 5 closer ratio cogs and a final spacer. The logic being that the next time the chain needs replacing I can only replace the 2-3 cogs that I regularly use and are worn, rather than an entire 9 speed cassette. Does this make sense? Obviously I'll have to play around with the limit screws on the rear deraileur to save any embarrassing moments.

Any other suggestions? I'm fortunate enough to have a SS as well, so please don't suggest that!
FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.

Comments

• MrBlond
    MrBlond Posts: 161
    Or just go for a closer ratio cassette?
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Presumably you could make the drive train last longer by using a smaller front chainring and the larger rings at the back (small diameter sprockets wearing disproportionately quickly). My cassette is worn out but it is only the two or three smallest that are visibly worn.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    MrBlond wrote:
    Or just go for a closer ratio cassette?
    , yes, but why go for a more expensive 9 speed cassette when I can sherry pick 5 ratios and then replace the ones that I need as they wear
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273
    15 quid for a nine speed cassette:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=387

How much do you think you are going to save?
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur