Signs that it could be summer..

RealMan
RealMan Posts: 2,166
edited April 2010 in MTB general
Have had two night rides this week, and the bike hasn't been muddy enough to warrant a proper cleaning. And I live near the coast (where its usually quite wet).

Also I have ingested a gratuitous amount of flies and dust.

Had a bat almost fly into my face tonight. Don't know if bats only come out in the summer, never see many in the winter - does that count as a sign?

Oh and I wore shorts the other day and didn't regret it (and if I get any replies saying "I wore shorts all winter, mtfu" - I like my knees..).

And I rode with someone at the weekend who smelt suspiciously like sun tan lotion.

Its all downhill from here.. :D

Comments

• bike-a-swan
    bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
    signs of summer this week:

- out in shorts and summer jersey 'til 8 without lights
    - guy at my club is out on his FS. HT is for the winter
    - there's a bit on the north downs that is nearly always muddy. if there's at least one dry route across it's nearly summer
    - i've done a good five hours of riding so far this week to no hours cleaning

less beneficially

-plants are coming back so you can't see walkers down the trail as far when at speed
    Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.
  • coolboarder
    coolboarder Posts: 149
    Yep, summers on its way. No lights, the shorts and im commuting in sunnies now:-) BUT, as mentioned in a recent thread of mine, those pesky nasty geese are on the prowl again!
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    Was 20 degrees and sunny here today. Trail was almost dry apart from one large patch of snow at about 4000 feet.

Excellent riding conditions.
  • I can commute to work without having to have my lights fittes and i can get rid of my leggings and waterproof jacket!
  • - Lights and mudguards have come off the bike
    - Proper shorts instead of the winter 3/4s
    - Thin layer of dust instead of coating of mud
    - I actually see other people when I'm out for a ride
  • nwmlarge
    nwmlarge Posts: 778
    i went out for 2 hours last night which was brilliant

DSC00752.jpg
  • Sorry to go off topic but -

nwmlarge

Is your photo in Essex? If so, whereabouts?
  • RealMan
    nwmlarge

Could be..
  • Realman

I did see that thanks for the input, I only asked because North Weald is on the borders with Hertfordshire, was trying to find out if it's the same disued rail track I have been told about in Essex but don't think it will be.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    the real signs of summer are whether big d goe sout on his bike or not.

big d has been out on his bike therefore summer has started.
  • nwmlarge
    nwmlarge Posts: 778
    it is the north weald to ongar railway just up from the old radio station in north weald.

this link may work i'm not sure but you can see where my ride joins the rail line. i'd advise going the opposite direction though as there are guards at the north weald station.

http://www.mapmyrun.com/run/united-kingdom/-north-weald/269127140837123179

if anyone wants to pop up there at any point let know
  • Itsari
    Itsari Posts: 346
    I like your knees too Signs all seem to be there...Wonder if they will stay put
  • P-Jay
    P-Jay Posts: 1,478
    Base layer's not been out of it's drawer for a few rides...

Finishing rides with an empty Camelbak...

Instead of trying to find 1 other person to go riding with at the weekend, spending time negoiting a location and time EVERYONE is happy with.

Leaning head forward, pressing down on top of Flux to release comedy stream of sweat.
  • V5ade
    V5ade Posts: 192
    I managed to breath in my first dusk gnat of the year yesterday evening (appolgies to anyone that saw me trying to cough up the insect). The best thing about winter is that you can pant without the danger of inhaling those pesky little flying things!

But this is the first week this year that I haven't had to clean my bike after every ride :-)
    Somewhere in the Surrey Hills :-)
  • projectsome
    projectsome Posts: 4,478
    Dunno, haven't changed my tyres yet. will probably change them end of may
    FARKBOOK TWATTER Happiness is my fucking mood!
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    It was definately summer here last night. Probably be snowing tomorrow.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • RealMan
    V5ade wrote:
    The best thing about winter is that you can pant without the danger of inhaling those pesky little flying things!

Get a mouthful of mud instead.. lol
  • furby
    furby Posts: 200
    edited April 2010
    Mud guards have come off, summer tyres and the brakes are in peices and in need of a part so I cant ride, it must be summer.
  • P-Jay
    P-Jay Posts: 1,478
    furby wrote:
    Mud guards have come off, summer tyres and the breaks are in peices and in need of a part so I cant ride, it must be summer.

Good shout! Crudcatchers coming off the moment I get home!!
  • Hercule Q
    Hercule Q Posts: 2,781
    i'm starting to sweat more when i ride :lol:

pinkbike
    Blurring the line between bravery and stupidity since 1986!
  • Porgy
    Porgy Posts: 4,525
    RealMan wrote:
    Had a bat almost fly into my face tonight. Don't know if bats only come out in the summer, never see many in the winter - does that count as a sign?

Bats hibernate from about October until spring - so it is a sign - or a confused bat.
  • coolboarder
    Earlier today over Cannock Chase. I say summers here 8)

4526294691_7dfc2022e9.jpg
  • RealMan
    Big puddles are a sign of summer?

Nice picture though.
  • coolboarder
    RealMan wrote:
    Big puddles are a sign of summer?

he he lol......its a stream crossing :wink:

I was refering to my shorts, rolled up sleeves, sunnies on and the glorious sunshine we had this afternoon :D
  • Aldo001
    Aldo001 Posts: 251
    I got some sunburn on my face arlier when I was ordering kids around a tennis court for cash and I had the shorts on from 9am to 9pm :D