Anyone else use a tourer for commuting?

jimmypippa
jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
edited April 2010 in Commuting chat
Just wondering, as I have just got a Dawes Horizon on CTW.

I decided that I'd need mudguards and a pannier rack, and decided on the tourer over a cyclocross, due to the slight price advantage, and the steel frame (which is great).

I can't remember seeing anyone else mentioning that they used tourers.

Comments

• Eau Rouge
    Eau Rouge Posts: 1,118
    A lot of the people I work with do. They seem a good option, especially if you have heavy-ish panniers.
    They are a relatively quiet end of the market these days. Most manufactures (at least amongst the obvious candidates) have taken the idea and tweaked it ever-so-slightly and called it a CX bike, which in tuen is what gets recommended.
    Maybe it's just me but there is an air of beard-n-wool-n-camping about a touring bike.
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    You should ask that question over on the CTC forum. 8)
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    Eau Rouge wrote:
    A lot of the people I work with do. They seem a good option, especially if you have heavy-ish panniers.
    They are a relatively quiet end of the market these days. Most manufactures (at least amongst the obvious candidates) have taken the idea and tweaked it ever-so-slightly and called it a CX bike, which in tuen is what gets recommended.
    Maybe it's just me but there is an air of beard-n-wool-n-camping about a touring bike.

I do have heavish panniers. And did tell my wife that I'd have to start wearing jesus-creepy sandals.

Oh yes, I thought that as it was a bit unfashionable, it would be less attractive to scrotes, which would mean that a decent bike lock would have a chance in deterring opportunistic attacks, and those that know might go for something else.
  • HamishD
    HamishD Posts: 538
    Anyone know the difference between a tourer and a winter bike with full mudguards and panniers?

Half the time I ride the latter loaded up and pootle, the other half on the "proper" roadie.
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    I've been thinking of getting a touring bike for commuting, as a replacement to my old RockHopper. Mainly for the weight difference and drop bars. Either that, or it'll be a CX bike with a rear rack and full mudguards on it.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Yes I do, a Condor Heritage. It is heavier than my audax bike or my carbon road bike, but once up to speed it is nearly as fast, its just the acceleration that is slower, but it can carry two heavy panniers with ease.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Couple of people at work do - one has a Horizon the other is an old Raleigh with 531 tubing - the guy on the Horizon does about 20 miles a day
  • gert_lush
    gert_lush Posts: 634
    Yup I do, I have a Dawes supergalaxy and use it for touring, commuting and as a winter bike and I love it.
    Mudguards - great
    Rack - great
    steel frame - great
    bar bag - great

whats not to love!

The main reason I like it is Its pretty happy pounding around the lanes as it is filling up the panniers at sainsburies and riding home with the weekly shop :D
    FCN 8 mainly
    FCN 4 sometimes
  • Hi, I use a Dawes supergalaxy (1995 model) for commuting too. Its faster than my mtb and the panniers are a definate advantage but go with what your comfortable with.
  • owenlars
    owenlars Posts: 719
    1995 Dawes Galaxy when the weather is bad or if it is going to be left somewhere vulnerable. (It did all the snow with ease) otherwise it is a fixie or an Audax Mk3 depending on how the mood takes me.
  • beverick
    beverick Posts: 3,461
    I have a tourer as my main road and summer commuting bike. I'd say it's a pretty ideal compromise between a load lugger and a fast road bike.

Bob