Does your office cater for cyclists?

2»

Comments

• Sailorchick
    Sailorchick Posts: 202
    I work for a University so the cycle facilities are really good. Lots of bike stands all over campus, secure bike sheds (£10 gets you a years access) for staff and students, showers in most buildings and the on site gym if you are a member is another option. Also runs the cycle2work scheme.

I have the added bonus of the local server room being attached to my office (no I don't work in IT) which is a lovely warm room for drying all my kit.
  • Medders
    Medders Posts: 152
    my office is blessed with great facilties. Secure underground racks for about 100 bikes, track pump, C2W scheme, dedicated entry points to the building for bikes, large changing rooms with full size lockers multiple showers and hanging area for clothes.

About 300 staff of which about 20 cycle regularly :o

Pity I am on secondment to another organisation in a building many times the size with no bike parking, 1 shower and no lockers. So still go to my old place then walk over here. Adds 30 mins a day to my journey but worth it and only another 6 weeks to go!

Riding:
    Canyon Nerve AL9.9 2014
    Honda CBR600f 2013
    Condor Fratello 2010
    Cervelo RS 2009
    Specialized Rockhopper Pro 2008
  • londonbairn
    londonbairn Posts: 316
    Everywhere I have been has been great, showers, proper parking etc. Then again, I have been working for large investment banks :lol:
  • amnezia
    amnezia Posts: 590
    We have a secure underground car park with cycle racks. Showers and changing rooms with lockers to store gear. They couldn't do much more for us really, its one of the reasons i've been here for quite a while.
  • BR 1979
    BR 1979 Posts: 296
    Freestanding "bike shed" with parking for ~50 bikes. Overspill outside it (concreted in sheffield type stands).

CCTV with people actually watching it.

Cloakroom downstairs to keep a week's shirts, suits, towel, washbag etc.

4 showers with beautiful power and heat, sink, a nice little stool to stick your bag etc.

I'm thinking of getting a trackpump for the "shed" and getting anyone interested to chuck a pound in the pot.

Yeah, I'm pretty happy.
  • t0pc4t
    t0pc4t Posts: 947
    office of about 60 people in the middle of the Berkshire countryside

we got a nice strong rack to lock to and 2 disabled toilets with shower cubicles also a wardrobe to hang stuff although I don't hang my minding kit in there

We also get a cycle to work scheme and they don't mind us blatantly rinsing it (hybrid for commuting last year and a Giant Anthem X4 this year)

I think they'd do more but due to the remoteness of the office few people cycle.
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I guess we're not bad here...

2 showers - the old one on the first floor, and the new wet room on the ground floor (shame they haven't fixed the drain yet. i almost flooded the place when I christened it!)

Covered stands outside with CCTV and completely out of the public eye.

There are new wardorbes for hanging clothes in (again I'm the only one using ours)

There are only a 1/2 dozen regular cyclists here, mainly hack bikes but we seem to be reasonably catered for.

I am kind of freaking people out here though... the wet room is where the old break out room was, and for some reason the people in my team don't like to hear how I'm lathered up and naked downstairs where they used to sit and have a coffee..... :twisted:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Hundreds of Sheffield stands, both underground in an area fenced and security barriered from the rest of the car park, and hundreds more above ground (spaced for 570 bikes I've just read).

There are lockers in the underground sections.

2 showers per floor in my building, presume is the same situation in the other two, and the gym. Not enough really, if you dont want to wait then you've got to be in for 8.30 at the latest.

Only downside is the lack of a drying room; there are no radiators and we aren't allowed to leave kit lying around the place, it's either got to be in your locker.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • BR 1979
    ^

BBC?
  • asprilla
    BR 1979 wrote:
    ^

BBC?

BBCW, in the Media Centre. You?
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • BR 1979
    No, just sounds like it would be BBC given the lavish facilites MY HARD EARNED LICENCE FEE IS BEING SPENT ON!!!.

(;))
  • Oh, and we all got matching custom road jerseys this autumn too. 8)

We added up all the available advertising space, and marketing just couldn't refuse. :oops:
  • asprilla
    BR 1979 wrote:
    No, just sounds like it would be BBC given the lavish facilites MY HARD EARNED LICENCE FEE IS BEING SPENT ON!!!.

(;))

BBC Worldwide mate, we sell programmes to foreigners, thus reducing your licence fee.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,416
    Oh, and we all got matching custom road jerseys this autumn too. 8)

We added up all the available advertising space, and marketing just couldn't refuse. :oops:

I've thought of pitching this idea to my boss. I read somewhere that a large firm of surveyors did this and got lots of interest and some work through people seeing the jerseys at sportives and the like, so I think it works as advertising. Our corporate colours are white, grey and fluorescent pink, so it would be hi-viz as well.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Kieran_Burns
    rjsterry wrote:
    Oh, and we all got matching custom road jerseys this autumn too. 8)

I've thought of pitching this idea to my boss. I read somewhere that a large firm of surveyors did this and got lots of interest and some work through people seeing the jerseys at sportives and the like, so I think it works as advertising. Our corporate colours are white, grey and fluorescent pink, so it would be hi-viz as well.

I genuinely could not bring myself to do this... plus the ribbing I would get in the office.... :?
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • t0pc4t
    ah yeah I also got company team kit but I paid half of the cost

but then it's well nice voler stuff and was £40 all in for 2 jerseys and a set of really nice bib shorts

plus it looks good
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • Kieran_Burns
    Our company colour is White

Just white

With the company name in mid blue (one word, sounds similar to UPPER Case without the L)

Not sure this would work....
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • t0pc4t
    ours is blue and the kit is blue and white, I was heartily grateful that the bib shorts had a nice black panel just where it matters

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • Kieran_Burns
    I just jokingly sent an email to HR about this idea (as in for God's sake DON'T) and they've come back with "thanks for the suggestion Kieran"

Arsearsearsearse..... :shock:
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • Ah, well, you see the thing is that our company already sponsors a Moto GP team, and has a variety testosterone fuelled product names. We look hardcore. 8)
  • Kieran_Burns
    Ah, well, you see the thing is that our company already sponsors a Moto GP team, and has a variety testosterone fuelled product names. We look hardcore. 8)

and I'd have Captain Ahab trying to shove a harpoon up my pasty white arse.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • Mickey Eye
    Mickey Eye Posts: 590
    Annnd the company just got bought by Cisco. Does this mean I'll get new kit do you think?
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    very good. A 32 floor office with however many people that holds (10,000??)

As well as R2W scheme we have:

- underground, secure, access pass controlled 24-hour manned + CCTV parking for about 1,000 bikes. I dont even bother locking the bike, just put it in the stand and walk off
    - locker near the bikes for kitbag with suit and shower stuff
    - 'free' cyclist changing rooms with 8 showers and room for about 15 blokes (separate female one too)
    - Subsidised gym with 16 showers for those who are interested in paying subs
    - A freshly laundered towel every day if you want (50p)
    - oh and the best bit? A big set of fans/vents next to where i park my bike. I hang my sweaty kit over the frame in the morning and it's nice and dry come home time.

(it doesnt sound like a lot of showers for that many staff/cyclists but i've never had to wait for a shower in over a year of cycle commuting)
    FCN = 4
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,416
    Thanks again for all your responses. All generally very positive, with only a couple of rubbish employers who can't be bothered. I'm impressed. Thought of a related poll I could add: What proportion of the people in your office cycle?

EDIT: Err, anyone know how to do that?

BTW, the boss knocked the company kit on the head. Apparently every company he's known who spent money on branded t-shirts and the like went bust shortly after, and he's a bit superstitious.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • asprilla
    It's not a massive percentage who cycle here, though I only came onboard in February, so it might change now the sun is out.

Weirdly, most of the overground stands have been fairly busy in the crap weather whilst the secure cycling underworld has been quite quiet.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • Porgy
    Porgy Posts: 4,525
    rjsterry wrote:
    Thanks again for all your responses. All generally very positive, with only a couple of rubbish employers who can't be bothered. I'm impressed. Thought of a related poll I could add: What proportion of the people in your office cycle?

BTW, the boss knocked the company kit on the head. Apparently every company he's known who spent money on branded t-shirts and the like went bust shortly after, and he's a bit superstitious.

My company Metronet issued branded t shirts, sweat shirts and woolly hats to all staff shortly before they went bankrupt. :lol:
  • rjsterry wrote:

I think it's only fair to mention that in the six months since ours were delivered, our company's share price has gone up some 88%.

I think that says it all.