2 or 3 Day Ride/Holiday Suggestions

Duggan13
Duggan13 Posts: 75
edited April 2010 in Routes
Unluckily for me I have my inlaws stopping over over in my tiny 2-bed flat for 3 weeks :roll:

In order to get the F**k out of there I am thinking I could book some time off work and get out on my bike for maybe 2-3 days one of the weeks.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I could go or what I could do?

I'm a relative begginer and so far have been only really doing 11-14 mile MTB routes around Mellor/Rowarth/New Mills in the North West. I'm of average fitness but no Iron-man, if I'm honest.

Also I have no car currently so it would have to be somewhere accessable by train at first. I have a pretty open mind though so whether it's a touring route or even just 'Go to Afan for 3 days and book a B&B' I'm all ears!

My bike is a Cube Attention hardtail, if that makes any difference.

All and any ideas welcomed!

Oh yeah, edit to say I'm Manchester based and budget wise the cheaper the better really.

Comments

• bobs bikes
    bobs bikes Posts: 589
    why not take the tent and go on the trans pennine trail? it passes through manchester and goes from southport to hornsea (on the east coast)
    its an easy ride and in two days, you could get to hull and get a train back to manchester. last time i got the train across it cost me £16 one way.
  • drewcole81
    drewcole81 Posts: 528
    I'd say head to Afan for a couple of days and stay here: http://www.brynteghouse.com/mtb.html

I stayed in the cottage last year for the Kona mash up and it was fantastic, really close to all of the trails, they are very friendly towards the mountain biker, if on your own I'd stay in the B&B and get some bacon in the morning!
    ....DaZeD aNd CoNfUsEd....
  • Duggan13
    Yeah I'll be on my tod.

Cheers for the suggestions guys, both those seem pretty good ideas and feasible for me too.
  • drewcole81
    Have you been to Afan before?
  • Duggan13
    No, not been before- will I end up hospitalising myself?
  • drewcole81
    Nope it is fine, I took a couple of first timers with me and they did quite well really :)

The B&B was really nice and you could be on the trails and out for the day within 10 - 15mins from setting out.

If you haven't been then I would REALLY suggest it mate, you'll love it.

There are some hard climbs, but the downhill on the way back is awesome!
  • Duggan13
    Cool, cheers for that- this is looking like a strong contender then 8)
  • tsenior
    tsenior Posts: 664
    its 4 hrs from manchester to barmouth on the train. from there you can ride up the mawddach trail (old railway) to dolgellau and up into coed y brennin, loads of great riding including a trail centre.

plenty of campsites and B&Bs...there is also a bothy just off one of the trails which is free; might be a bit blair witch out in the woods by yourself though