I don't need it but I think I want it...

iPete
iPete Posts: 6,076
edited April 2010 in Commuting chat
Given the fact that I'm throwing money at my full susser (Kona Coiler 2006) and my 2010 Allez for a massive summer tour, it would be very very illogical for me to pick up a single speed lets alone one that's worth more than both..

BUT this has really caught my eye, not sure its value for money component wise (?) but I just love it...

The Pinarello Lungavita
http://www.pinarello.com/eng/lungavita_420.php

3126-14545-full-lung_black-2.jpg

What other retro single speeds are out there?!

Edit: I'd also be interested in something louder, bright greens etc.

Comments

• FeynmanC
    FeynmanC Posts: 649
    I caught myself looking at single speeds last night :oops:

I want to get a full sus (Giant Trance X4) but i've just found out that C2W in my company is for £500 max :cry:
    us0.png
  • iPete
    FeynmanC wrote:
    I caught myself looking at single speeds last night :oops:

I want to get a full sus (Giant Trance X4) but i've just found out that C2W in my company is for £500 max :cry:

Snap, also want the X4 so it would be very very very naughty to pick up a 3rd type of bike and not replace my super heavy full susser.

I'm guessing you could top up your C2W but that's quite a margin.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    They must have put helium in the tyres: it's floating :shock:
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Nice paint job. The green model also looks cool. £779 is less than I was expecting.

Lungavita means long life apparently. More appealing than Pompino :)
  • iPete
    Gussio wrote:
    Nice paint job. The green model also looks cool. £779 is less than I was expecting.

Lungavita means long life apparently. More appealing than Pompino :)

I'm glad to hear its a 'bargain' :lol:

I saw a fully black SS the other week with hugely deep black aero looking wheels, wish I'd noted the name, wasn't quote as nice as the Lungavita but still very nice.
  • BR 1979
    BR 1979 Posts: 296
    Beautiful. 'Specially in red.

You'd have to be quick though... Like "never ever overtaken ever" quick.

...And then you'd have to factor in the full Rapha gear and some carbon shoes... It all adds up. :lol:
  • Matt.K
    Matt.K Posts: 105
    If you want bright green then the 2009 Genesis Flyer doesn't get much brighter.
    (See profile pic)

I'll happily sell you mine for £779.
    I don't want to part with it, but for that money I would.
    Oh, but you'll have to wait til September when my C2W is paid off.
  • iPete
    Ha, thanks for the offer, was watching a green Flyer on eBay the other day, do look nice.

Yup, I'd deffinately have to adjust my clothing to suit this bike, would it be wrong to fit one sided SPD pedals!?

I'm not sure carbon shoes are the way, something a bit more casual, maybe with tweed included! Do like the stuff swrve sell, could be an expensive bike choice!

And as the self-proclaimed fasted pannier laden cyclist in the city, I'd have a shot at maintaining my pace on a nice SS :lol:
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    iPete wrote:
    Given the fact that I'm throwing money at my full susser (Kona Coiler 2006) and my 2010 Allez for a massive summer tour, it would be very very illogical for me to pick up a single speed lets alone one that's worth more than both..

BUT this has really caught my eye, not sure its value for money component wise (?) but I just love it...

The Pinarello Lungavita
    http://www.pinarello.com/eng/lungavita_420.php

3126-14545-full-lung_black-2.jpg

What other retro single speeds are out there?!

Edit: I'd also be interested in something louder, bright greens etc.

Swoons

WANT!!

I was just saying at the Tweed Run (to anyone that would listen), that I'd like either a retro SS or a retro looking SS... and then you post this and I fall in love...
    although why is it not available in steel?

:shock:
  • iPete
    WANT MORE!

This was sat in a shop that stocks some serious kit like the team Sky tour bike, yet this is the only one in the shop that I now NEED :lol:
  • il_principe
    iPete wrote:
    WANT MORE!

This was sat in a shop that stocks some serious kit like the team Sky tour bike, yet this is the only one in the shop that I now NEED :lol:

And where, pray, is this shop? I see they even do it in my colours...

lungavita_423_minio.jpg

I'm gonna have to sell the Pearson...

:D
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    I take it the head is NOT ruling in this instance Jash? :lol:
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    So, ummm, have you bought it yet?

If not, why not? If cash is a problem, I hear kidneys are very sought-after...
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • Zachariah
    Zachariah Posts: 782
    edited April 2010
    I was in Bologna a few weeks ago and saw the Lungavita (white-ish version) in the window. Thankfully the shop was closed or my wife would be wanting to know why our account was suddenly a thousand euros down.

It's an amazingly beautiful bike in the flesh. I don't like the brake levers on the flats, though - yuck.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,416
    Wouldn't kick it out of my bike shed, but...

Clearly they're going for the retro look, with the paint job and chrome kit, so does anyone else find the frame a little chunky? I'd have thought skinny steel tubes would have gone better with the overall look. Hope I've not spoilt it for anyone.

Also, you might have to have your feet shortened if you ever want to go round corners - that is one short wheelbase.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Zachariah
    rjsterry wrote:
    Clearly they're going for the retro look, with the paint job and chrome kit, so does anyone else find the frame a little chunky? I'd have thought skinny steel tubes would have gone better with the overall look. Hope I've not spoilt it for anyone.

What you can't see in the photo is that the downtube is aero-thin, not chunky at all. You kind of have to see it in the flesh to appreciate the prettiness.
  • rjsterry
    edited April 2010
    Zachariah wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

What you can't see in the photo is that the downtube is aero-thin, not chunky at all. You kind of have to see it in the flesh to appreciate the prettiness.

Had a feeling that was it. Either that, or it was child-sized :wink:

EDIT: That, and I'm a blatant steel snob. I really must work on that.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• il_principe
    rjsterry wrote:

Also, you might have to have your feet shortened if you ever want to go round corners - that is one short wheelbase.

It's a fact of like with some of these 'track' but not track bikes - my Decade has a fair bit of overlap but it's never been an issue for me. I agree that steel would be nice and it would certainly be a case of buying 'frame only' and building to spec...
  • Zachariah
    Another thing the photos don't show is the detailing on the chrome parts - the stem, for instance, has a beautiful 'Pinarello' etched on the top. If I'd known about this before getting my Triton...maybe next CTW window...
  • rjsterry
    Zachariah wrote:
    Another thing the photos don't show is the detailing on the chrome parts - the stem, for instance, has a beautiful 'Pinarello' etched on the top. If I'd known about this before getting my Triton...maybe next CTW window...

Nothing that Timpsons couldn't sort out :wink:
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    rjsterry wrote:

Already there :wink:

Wondering if they do this bike in 'shrimp' size
  • iPete
    iPete wrote:
    WANT MORE!

And where, pray, is this shop? I see they even do it in my colours...

lungavita_423_minio.jpg

I'm gonna have to sell the Pearson...

:D

Cycle Surgery of all places, the Victoria branch..

http://www.cyclesurgery.com/Article/134 ... toria.html

Can you sell kidneys on eBay?

I'm going to have to go back to have a dribble...
  • il_principe
    Hmmm I'm due to be in Victoria ce soir....

Must resist.
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    Meh. Sorry, but to me looks like a triumph of style over substance. The whole FG/SS thing has no interest for me whatsoever, admittedly (I have to pedal all the time or I go over the bars? Even downhill? Even a really really fast downhill? **** that!). One of Velocity's favourite customers (he has two Maximas...) is getting a Perfecta single-speed custom made (road frame but track version dropouts etc), and I can't help thinking it's a waste of a good frame.
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • il_principe
    StuAff wrote:
    Meh. Sorry, but to me looks like a triumph of style over substance. The whole FG/SS thing has no interest for me whatsoever, admittedly (I have to pedal all the time or I go over the bars? Even downhill? Even a really really fast downhill? **** that!). One of Velocity's favourite customers (he has two Maximas...) is getting a Perfecta single-speed custom made (road frame but track version dropouts etc), and I can't help thinking it's a waste of a good frame.

Surely then you could just go SS...
  • stuaff
    StuAff wrote:

Surely then you could just go SS...

True.....a somewhat safer option...
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • iPete
    Oh, is this bike fixed geared, was kinda hoping it was just a SS?! :oops:
  • stuaff
    iPete wrote:
    Oh, is this bike fixed geared, was kinda hoping it was just a SS?! :oops:

SS. Though most of the type have a fixed option...
  • iPete
    Few, not a fan of fixed gear! I can carry on drooling :D