Summer and flies.

Keiron Curtis
Keiron Curtis Posts: 126
edited April 2010 in Commuting chat
Well spring has sprung, and already on my commute I'm cycling through flies alongside the hedgerows etc.. How does everyone cope ? Last year it became offputting, having to cycle through them, on top of that bites on the legs-OUCH! Then the subsequent itching. I tried insect repellent, but that had little effect. Glasses kept them out of my eyes, I don't want to go out completely covered up. Any advice please.
k.curtis

Comments

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I see them as good carbs and protein.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,200
    Well spring has sprung, and already on my commute I'm cycling through flies alongside the hedgerows etc.. How does everyone cope ? Last year it became offputting, having to cycle through them, on top of that bites on the legs-OUCH! Then the subsequent itching. I tried insect repellent, but that had little effect. Glasses kept them out of my eyes, I don't want to go out completely covered up. Any advice please.
    Cycle faster and keep your gob shut !
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    armour4.jpg

might affect your FCN a little though
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • R_T_A
    R_T_A Posts: 488
    There's nothing really, apart from glasses (which you do).

It's one of the joys of summer cycling, like having your nose running :wink:
    Giant Escape R1
    FCN 8
    "Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
    - Terry Pratchett.
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Cycle faster and keep your gob shut !

I snorted one up my nose the other day! Visions of maggots crawling about in my brain still haunts me!
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    kelsen wrote:
    I snorted one up my nose the other day! Visions of maggots crawling about in my brain still haunts me!

Don't worry about that - it won't be long before the maggots will have eaten the parts of your brain that give you visions.......
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Kieran_Burns
    Rolf F wrote:
    kelsen wrote:

Don't worry about that - it won't be long before the maggots will have eaten the parts of your brain that give you visions.......

You'll be safe, people forget that maggots only eat dead flesh.

Oh, wait :shock:

:wink:
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • I have a Trek Mates Choob which works really well and doesn't cause me to overheat. Plus sunglasses.
  • Thanks roundthebend, seems like a solution to the insects gaining access to inside my shirt at least. The rest of you seem to have given up on the problem, and are more than happy to chew flies, but I'll keep trying to make my ride more comfortable.
    k.curtis
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    I've heard that high levels of vitamin B can put biting insects off for some people, try taking a high dose vitamin B complex supplement. Vitamin B is water soluble so any excess will just go into you urine rather than poison you. Otherwise, mozzies hate smoking, you could spark up a Marlboro or 2 and attach them to you bars so they waft smoke, like incense sticks, all over you as you ride!
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Thanks roundthebend, seems like a solution to the insects gaining access to inside my shirt at least. The rest of you seem to have given up on the problem, and are more than happy to chew flies, but I'll keep trying to make my ride more comfortable.

The Choob is quite stretchy so you can pull it up over your mouth and nose without a massive loss of breathing capability. Probably not ideal if you're doing a long and fast paced commute, but for a gentle ride or shorter distance then it's great. I consumed not a single bug last year.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Got one in my helmet the other day - could feel it crawling about so I had to stop and take my helmet off - felt huge but it was this tiny little fly
  • I smear dog crap on a buddy and all the flies are attracted to him :twisted:

£1.25 for sign up http://www.quidco.com/user/491172/42301

Cashback on wiggle,CRC,evans follow the link
    http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/MTBkarl
  • Hi , Avon Skin so Soft dry body oil is a fantastic repellant and smells quite nice too.
  • Kieran_Burns
    silentman wrote:
    Hi , Avon Skin so Soft dry body oil is a fantastic repellant and smells quite nice too.

Glad you reminded me of that! My Mum is an area rep - must ask her to get some.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    silentman wrote:
    Hi , Avon Skin so Soft dry body oil is a fantastic repellant and smells quite nice too.

...and before anyone starts calling you a big girls blouse, the SAS use this stuff, and they're known to be well 'ard!
  • Satu
    Satu Posts: 51
    kelsen wrote:
    ...and before anyone starts calling you a big girls blouse, the SAS use this stuff, and they're known to be well 'ard!

Except for their skin, I guess!
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    I commute in London. All the exhaust fumes kill all the flies :thumbsup:
    FCN = 4
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    No way. The fumes just send the flies to Balham/Clapham/Stockwell.......... in fact the flies are on my commute :evil:
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    kelsen wrote:
    silentman wrote:

It does work, I was at a wedding in Scotland in full kilt etc and believe me I was glad I had it on with the midges, I do seemt o remember it's only one fragrance thats got the "thing" in the insects hate though.
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Flies? A mere bagatelle. Seeds from plane trees, now that is the annoyance for London cyclists.