I Beam rack and bag on a roadie?

chopperHarris
chopperHarris Posts: 119
edited April 2010 in Commuting chat
Ok so had my bike fitting last week and the guy in the shop made a couple of adjustments to the bike to try and sort my lower back pain issue, and after 4 days of commuting its slightly better but its still there. He also mentioned at the time that i should try not carrying a rucksack and instead use a rack etc.

So i have a mate who has a Toppeak I beam rack and bag that he will sell me, just wondered if it would be ok on my Allez? would have to replace the QR attachment with a permanent bolt but thats no probs.

If not the i beam then what else could i use? i have no mounts of any sort.

Whats the opinion on these ibeam racks on road bikes do they work ok?

Thanks all
08 Felt Compulsion 2 SE
09 Corratec S-light
10 Giant Defy 2

Comments

• iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    A post I left in the touring forum...

iPete wrote:

Fitting a rack is also tricky on the Allez as the brakes get in the way. My setup below:

IMG_0546copySmall.jpg

Topeak Super Tourist DX Rear Rack, has a lower mounting point for a lower center of gravity and heel clearance.
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Topea ... 360022940/

M:Part Single Bolt Seat Post Clamp With Rack Mount, this solves the fitting issue.
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/MPart ... 300005198/

The bike has lower mounting points so no need for a QR setup, just look for the little plastic bungs.
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    Depends on how much you have to carry on your commute.

I went ultra-lightweight touring for a few days last summer on my Wilier, which has no rack mountings and has carbon seatstays. I used a Topeak RX Beam Rack
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Topeak_QR_Beam_RX_Rear_Rack/5300003208/
    topeak%20beam%20rack%20rx.jpg
    which is designed to take a Topeak clip-on bag, but that had less capacity than my jersey pockets and weighed more than the rack itself so instead I used a dry-bag bungied onto the rack.

Not the prettiest solution, but got me through a trip from Exeter to Lands End with no issues.

LOOK - you can get a Carbon version of the rack now !!!!
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Topeak_Beam_RX_Carbon_Rear_Rack/5360036963/
    Misguided Idealist
  • Not carrying much, General work stuff, Shirt, underwear, maybe a towel or a pair of trousers at the most. Plus the usual commuting kit, pump tube, multi tool and a waterproof top

The carbon one looks nice but im not that fussed on weight really, the ally one is fine for me.
    08 Felt Compulsion 2 SE
    09 Corratec S-light
    10 Giant Defy 2
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    Hmmmm...

I'd doubt that that the bag was your problem - more likely that your back is in spasm and that it's not going to be fixed by a beam - you are still extending and bending it...

Do you have access to a Physio? We have lots of back problem survivors on here - change your title to back pain something and watch them hobble out of their chairs....
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • I did a thread on back pain the other day, i think its more my core strength thats the problem, im working on that, bought a situp bench at the weekend and am doing a few sets every night now, also i am still around a stone or so overweight so dont think that helps either.

Just trying to remove all possible causes so i know if its defo a issue with my back more than my setup.

Also as the weather gets warmer i hate carrying a sweaty bag on my back :D
    08 Felt Compulsion 2 SE
    09 Corratec S-light
    10 Giant Defy 2
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    I did a thread on back pain the other day, i think its more my core strength thats the problem, im working on that, bought a situp bench at the weekend and am doing a few sets every night now, also i am still around a stone or so overweight so dont think that helps either.

Just trying to remove all possible causes so i know if its defo a issue with my back more than my setup.

Situps won't actually help your core that much... Pilates, the Plank etc will. Also make sure you're stretching your hammies post ride.
  • Matt.K
    Matt.K Posts: 105
    As an alternative, have you checked out the Carridce SQR range of bags.

They've got decent capacity and a small mounting bracket so you're not left with an ugly rack sticking out the back of your bike when the bag's not there.

I was looking at the Topeak stuff last year and someone pointed me in the direction of Carradice. I got the SQR tour and it's perfect for what I need.
  • whats the plank??? try and stretch before and after riding.I dont do Gyms, never have done, dont get the time (2 young kids and a busy job) hence why i use the bike for commuting, its the only time i get to exercise (apart from a bit of swimming at the weekends with the kids)

Will check out the carridce sqr stuff - thanks
    08 Felt Compulsion 2 SE
    09 Corratec S-light
    10 Giant Defy 2
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    Agree strengthening your core and back will help - sit ups alone will not do a great deal for you though...

I'd suggest you see someone - or ask for the random opinions of strangers on here!
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    Some rucksacks give my back grief, I thought it was just the position on the bike but switching from a decent karrimor bag with the stiff back panel to let the air circulate to a cheapo crappy animal one has improved things no end for me. I think the panel in the more expensive bag was putting all the weight just above my hips whereas the cheaper bag spreads the weight out more.

Alternatively the SQR bags are the dogs, I did have a rack on until last week but the extra weight was doing my head in.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • AndyManc
    AndyManc Posts: 1,393
    I bought an i-beam , they are OK but nothing can surpass a fixed rear carrier.

My i-beam has been relegated to the bike parts black hole under my stairs, get a lightweight rear carrier, don't waste your money on an i-beam.

Specialized Hardrock Pro/Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid/Specialized Enduro/Specialized Tri-Cross Sport
    URBAN_MANC.png
  • navt
    navt Posts: 374
    So what options are available to a road bike? I was planning to cycle to Paris next month on the Genesis, but seeing as that's been nicked, I am left with the Spesh Roubaix, but I cannot affix pannier rack to it.

Can't carry much in a handle bar bag, and don't really fancy carrying too much on my back either.

FYI - I might have to swap out the CF seat post to affix any sort of post mounted rack.
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    As above....

3904884950_ac14271660_m.jpg

Add a bar bag and you're all set !
    I agree that replacing the carbon seatpost would be wise...when I have to resort to this arrangement again I'll use some insulting tape to protect the seatpost, mine got a little scuffed.
    Misguided Idealist
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    I did a thread on back pain the other day, i think its more my core strength thats the problem, im working on that, bought a situp bench at the weekend and am doing a few sets every night now, also i am still around a stone or so overweight so dont think that helps either.

Situps won't actually help your core that much... Pilates, the Plank etc will. Also make sure you're stretching your hammies post ride.

Yes situps are actually frowned upon for some back problems. Situps don't help your core. Your core muscles are the tiny ones that run up your err, core, round the spine. It's all about low intesity exercises on Swiss balls etc and as mentioned, the plank. I've just been diagnosed with degenerated discs in my lower back. Bit of a b*gger.... No more running. Running is not good for discs apparently. Cycling is good apparently, however I can't have too aggressive a position anymore - no time trialling, hunched over the bars is not good. I think the physio would like me to ride a sit up and beg bike with a basket or - horror - a hybrid. But I can't bring myself to do that...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • tiny_pens
    tiny_pens Posts: 293
    I personally don't like the weight distribution that comes with the racks that clip on the seat posts. I think it feels weird when you get out of the saddle for a quick acceleration - more so than with saddle bags because the weight is further over the rear wheels.

That said I probably have odd taste because I use a bag like this for day rides:-
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Boblbee_MT_Cargo_Hip_Bag/5360037834/

OK so mine is a significantly cheaper version but the idea is the same.You wouldn't want to put too much heavy stuff in (mine has a space for 2 water bottles, one either side) but its alright for a tin of soup and a change of clothes for a ride to work.The weight sits on the hips very comfortably for me so its not the weight that is the problem with loading it up but more the fact that it does bounce up and down a bit when you go over bumps which I don't like.

Might be worth consideration because you don't have the weight pulling down on your back in the same way