Fitting Bar Ends to Carbon Bars ???

Levi_501
Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
edited December 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Ordered up some Easton EC90 carbon handle bars for the new build.

I would like to fit my bar ends to them. My concern is will the handle bars (as they are carbon) crush when I tighten up the bar ends around the them ?

Or should I make up some aluminium plugs (about 15mm long) that fit snuggly into the ends of the handle on the lathe ?

Is this confusing or do you allunderstand :idea:

Thanks in advance

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    what do Easton say in the manual that comes with the bars?

generally they are fine with some bar ends.

so look on Eastons webby or wait for the manual.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    Nothing in the manual, however their website lists EC90 bar ends, and they do not come with any sort of insert.

Guess, that kinda answers that then !

Thanks
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    You will almost certainly bugger them!

The older, pre CNT ones weren't bad, but the newer ones tend to jump crumple before the bar ends are anywhere near tight.

Easton say the EC70 is fine with bar ends with an 'inline' clamp like the Smica ones, but IME it's the design of the bar end rather than the actual angle of the clamp which makes a difference! The EC90 is not bar end compatible.

Bontrager Race X Lites were about the best I found on EC90s, but even they did crush the bars.

Specialized do do some alu inserts, but the weight the add is more than the difference between the EC90 and the EC70 or even better the Ritchey WCS, which has proper reinforcements.
  • dreads6
    dreads6 Posts: 206
    njee20 wrote:
    You will almost certainly bugger them!

The older, pre CNT ones weren't bad, but the newer ones tend to jump crumple before the bar ends are anywhere near tight.

Easton say the EC70 is fine with bar ends with an 'inline' clamp like the Smica ones, but IME it's the design of the bar end rather than the actual angle of the clamp which makes a difference! The EC90 is not bar end compatible.

Bontrager Race X Lites were about the best I found on EC90s, but even they did crush the bars.

Specialized do do some alu inserts, but the weight the add is more than the difference between the EC90 and the EC70 or even better the Ritchey WCS, which has proper reinforcements.

I know this thread was some time ago now! sorry i just googled carbon bars with bar ends and this came up!!

I have a set of ritchey wcs carbon riser bars and sone combined ergon bar ends and grips that fit on the bars with only one bolt to clamp on the end of the bars

So i was wondering if this is ok??
  • njee20
    Yes, fine. As I said in my last post the WCSs (flat ones at least, imagine risers are the same) have proper reinforcement in the end of the bar to resist crushing.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Even my old Bikehut carbons came with tip reinforcing for bar ends!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • njee20
    Adds weight, hence why Easton don't do it! Plenty of manufacturers just make the ends thicker.
  • dreads6
    dreads6 Posts: 206
    njee20 wrote:
    Yes, fine. As I said in my last post the WCSs (flat ones at least, imagine risers are the same) have proper reinforcement in the end of the bar to resist crushing.

Thanks dude appreciate the reply!
  • Just use handlebar end plugs with the expander bolt design - which work in the same way as for carbon steerer tubes.

31990296.jpg

I don't use barends myself but I do install them for people who do.

The trick is to gradually tighten the plug and the barend a bit at a time so that neither will deform the carbon walls.
  • wouldn't risk it on EC90s ..., yep bar end plugs are good ... these are pretty good for the job:
    http://www.xcracer.com/shop/viewproduct ... oductid=15