Sporty Hybrid - where do I start?

naffcat
naffcat Posts: 5
edited April 2010 in Commuting chat
Hi,

It's been a while since I bought a bike - I want a bike to do a short commute each day and the occasional longer ride at the weekends for around £750 - please can someone help with some recommendations?

:?:

Many thanks

Comments

• BR 1979
    BR 1979 Posts: 296
    On of the key considerations when buying any "sporty hybrid" for road commuting is how easy it'll be able to sell in 3 months in order to fund a road bike.

;)

(Only half-kidding - Having commuted on both I wouldn't dream of going back to an MTB/hybrid for the road.)
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Giant FCRs, Boardmans.
  • lardboy
    lardboy Posts: 343
    More details would be useful. What type of surface will you be riding over, where are you based, what kind of riding will you do at the weekend?

Have a look at these sites for a sample of what you can afford:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk
    http://www.evanscycles.com
    http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk

Don't limit yourself to hybrids. If your ride is over 5 or 6 miles, seriously consider a road bike or a cyclocross, especially for those weekend 40 or 50 milers!

Do some test rides at your local shop. Don't buy anything until you've had it out on the road.
    Bike/Train commuter: Brompton S2L - "Machete"
    12mile each way commuter: '11 Boardman CX with guards and rack
    For fun: '11 Wilier La Triestina
    SS: '07 Kona Smoke with yellow bits
  • naffcat
    thanks for the responses ... mostly I'll be using cycle paths and roads but would like to be able to go up kerbs etc. without worrying about damaging bike.

most people have said it won't be too long before I end up wanting a road bike - which is why I was hoping a sporty one might last a little longer.

Some time ago I looked at Scott Speedster (flatbar) - but I don't know if they still make these? Also I believe Scotts are known to be light

A also looked at the Boardmans but tbh I'm finding the array of choices make it difficult to decide
  • mousetoo
    mousetoo Posts: 53
    Hi I had a Genesis Day02 (before it got nicked and I replaced it with my lovely Focus Cayo). I loved it but wouldn't go back to a hybrid
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    BR 1979 wrote:
    On of the key considerations when buying any "sporty hybrid" for road commuting is how easy it'll be able to sell in 3 months in order to fund a road bike.

Arf arf arf.
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • dugliss
    dugliss Posts: 235
    Hi, I`ve got a Boardman hybrid which seems pretty good for £450 although the newer ones are now£499 I believe
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,651
    Specialized sirrus elite is a pretty good bet for a sporty hybrid. Only don't do what i did, as mentioned above and buy a sirrus then realise a few months later that actually what i wanted was a road bike, which does everything a sporty hybrid does, only better and faster. Drop handlebars aren't nearly as daunting as they might seem.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • naffcat
    Scott SUB 10 2009
    Felt QX100 2009

Plus a slightly dearer ...

Cannondale Synapse Flat Bar 105

Which looks very nice

Anyone have any thoughts on these?

Question - also do the road bikes have 700c tyres?
  • supersonic
    Can you visit the shops and try them?
  • Scott SUB 10 2009
    I have this and it's great. I've changed the pedals (for cleats) and grips (ergon for comfort). It's fast and great for my daily commute. I've done lots of 30-40 mile rides on it.

That said, I've never owned a road bike :shock:
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    You will. It's only a matter of time :twisted:

OP - road or cross, forget the hybrid and I say that as a hybrid user 8)
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,197
    This is around your budget and very good spec for the money:
    http://www.boardmanbikes.com/hybrid/hybrid_pro.html

Good for what it's designed for (commuting!): also I've done 40-50 milers on mine no problem. But if you want to do plenty fun/weekend riding the ideal solution is to have a hybrid and a roadie - that's what I'm planning.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • linsen
    linsen Posts: 1,959
    I have a Giant TCX which I absolutely LOVE.

It is the ultimate commuting bike, and were it not being rested I would ride it every day

Seriously, if you get a cyclocross you will be able to wait at least a year or five till you upgrade.......
    Emerging from under a big black cloud. All help welcome
  • Personally I would go for a cheaper hybrid (max £300 ish) as even with an expensive one I still think you will want a road bike by June(finger in the air estimate)

Then when you want a road/CX bike in June you will not feel so bad about having spent the £300. Also, the hybrid can be made into a full-on winter bike so not to wear out the good bike as fast!

My situation was I went for the cheap hybrid last August but within a couple of months I wanted a road bike. I managed to last until the beginning of this month before succumbing to the road bike(which is way, way better). If it was not for the winter, I am sure I would have brought it a couple of months ago and wish I had now brought it last August! Although I now have a winter bike
  • supersonic
    Do the roadies ever want for more speed and go for a TT bike?
  • ROADIE

p.s. I have a hybrid.
  • Eau Rouge
    Eau Rouge Posts: 1,118
    supersonic wrote:

I have seen TT bikes in our bike sheds at work, but rarely.
    Road bikes are about comfort and efficiency. TT bikes are just about speed. They compromise comfort especially, they are pretty uncomfortable to ride and have pretty crap handling characteristics when your on the tri-bars.
    Thats ok in a TT, where you're giving it your all, against the clock and looking to save every second you can. That's not your commute, when you have to work or have just finished a full day's work and have to deal with traffic, lights, etc. The speed difference is very real, but only a matter of seconds over most people's commutes. It's just not worth the loss of comfort outside of an actual TT event. Put any extra weight on the bike (panniers or rucksack) and the already edgy handling must be even worse.

You don't see people going for weekend rides on TT bikes (or even with clip-on TT bars) too often, even if they are riding about on their own. Come to think of it, when the Pro's were faced with a 61km TT in last years Giro, they all rode their road bikes instead of their TT bikes too.

So yes, there are no doubt some nutters who commute every day on a TT bike.
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    you can do a short commute on any bike to be frank.

need to think and try some bikes for the longer weekend rides.

a hybrid with 700c tires and say some disk brakes would make a very effective do anything bike.

though most folks opt for bikes for tasks hence the N+1
  • Stevo_666
    a hybrid with 700c tires and say some disk brakes would make a very effective do anything bike.
    Well said that man - although you risk social exclusion on this forum for saying what others dare not say :wink:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    Cannondale Synapse Flatbar, which is essentially a roadbike with flat bars. Definitely the best out of the three youve listed.
  • supersonic
    Eau Rouge wrote:
    supersonic wrote:

Road bikes are about comfort and efficiency. TT bikes are just about speed. They compromise comfort especially, they are pretty uncomfortable to ride and have pretty crap handling characteristics when your on the tri-bars.
    Thats ok in a TT, where you're giving it your all, against the clock and looking to save every second you can. That's not your commute, when you have to work or have just finished a full day's work and have to deal with traffic, lights, etc. The speed difference is very real, but only a matter of seconds over most people's commutes. It's just not worth the loss of comfort outside of an actual TT event. Put any extra weight on the bike (panniers or rucksack) and the already edgy handling must be even worse.

You don't see people going for weekend rides on TT bikes (or even with clip-on TT bars) too often, even if they are riding about on their own. Come to think of it, when the Pro's were faced with a 61km TT in last years Giro, they all rode their road bikes instead of their TT bikes too.

This is my point - some people think similarly about road bikes and consider a hybrid, simply because they prefer flat bars (which are wider), and associated shifters and what can be a more relaxed riding positions. And the speed difference between a drop bar road bike and a flat bar hybrid of the same weight at typical speeds? Maybe a few seconds over a few miles, just like in your example.

It is all about what works best for the rider. Are many types of hybrid too so you can really tailor the feel.
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    supersonic wrote:
    some people think similarly about road bikes and consider a hybrid

They are described as hy-curious.

Listen, we've all done it, just most of us pretend that it's never crossed our minds - certainly wouldn't tell our wives and girlfriends / husbands and boyfriends about it....

Imagine having to tell your Dad!
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • Eau Rouge
    Eau Rouge Posts: 1,118
    supersonic wrote:
    Eau Rouge wrote:
    supersonic wrote:

This is my point - some people think similarly about road bikes and consider a hybrid, simply because they prefer flat bars (which are wider), and associated shifters and what can be a more relaxed riding positions. And the speed difference between a drop bar road bike and a flat bar hybrid of the same weight at typical speeds? Maybe a few seconds over a few miles, just like in your example.

It is all about what works best for the rider. Are many types of hybrid too so you can really tailor the feel.

People do seem to have this misconception that road bikes are uncomfortable and designed for speed, which of course isn't the case at all. TT and hybrid bikes are very similar, they optimize one thing and compromise the other. TT bikes optimize aero efficiency at the cost of comfort, while hybrids optimize a relaxed cruising position at the expense of being efficient. There isn't really any need to compromise though, you could just buy a road bike and get a great balance of both (and still tune it between touring, sportive riding or racing)

The same logic that says you don't commute on a TT as it's too much of a compromise for little gain applies to hybrids, too much of a compromise for little gain. The less compromise (flat bar road bike) the less you gain (bars that aren't any more 'relaxed' than the tops of drop bars yet without the more efficient hoods, no option to use drops, and splaying your hands out into the air to slow you down)

Your right, some people just prefer a hybrid. Perhaps they don't worry about the compromise or can find other gains (such as preferring a type of shifting technique)
    Other people do seem to have the misconception (essentially they think a road bike is the compromise a TT bike actually is) This leads them to think a hybrid is what in reality a road bike is (that mix of comfort and efficiency they are looking for) and it's only later they realise their mistake.
  • supersonic
    To some people they are less comfortable. The balance you talk about is purely subjective.
  • Kazz_uk
    Kazz_uk Posts: 73
    Personally I would go for a cheaper hybrid (max £300 ish) as even with an expensive one I still think you will want a road bike by June(finger in the air estimate)

Then when you want a road/CX bike in June you will not feel so bad about having spent the £300. Also, the hybrid can be made into a full-on winter bike so not to wear out the good bike as fast!

My situation was I went for the cheap hybrid last August but within a couple of months I wanted a road bike. I managed to last until the beginning of this month before succumbing to the road bike(which is way, way better). If it was not for the winter, I am sure I would have brought it a couple of months ago and wish I had now brought it last August! Although I now have a winter bike

Yeah, this is what i'll be doing. Currently riding about on a friends old MTB and after doing a lot of reading up / having a go at various bikes id love to go for a CX, but my budget doesn't stretch that far at the moment.

When i first set out with the idea of starting cycling my mind was made up, i wanted a hyrbid. But i guess it was the idea of getting an all-in-one bike that can do anything.

Looking to spend something around the £300 mark on a hybrid, then look at a CX (Giant TCX, oooh :D ) later in the year / next year. The Scott Sportster P5 looks ideal for commuting and weekend rides on roads / trails with the option to lockout front suspension if you fancy it.

Hope my perspective is of help to you naffcat :).
    Cycling Newbie
    I reserve the right to ask dumb questions :)
  • maharg22
    maharg22 Posts: 50
    As one who is new to this forum and new to a 'quality' bike I cant knock the one I just got my hands on....

Bianch Camaleonte Cross, see Here

Cost was about £500, its helped to cut my commute time by about 8 minutes at the moment and until my back gets better I'm not pushing things. I for one will not be going back to a cheap generic MTB.

Ant
    British Cycling SkyRide leader

Roadie - 'Arnie' HOY Sa Calobra .004 Ultegra 11 Speed
    Winter Road Bike - 'Edoardo' Bianchi Via Nirone 7 c2c - Sora 8 Speed
    Commuter - 'Edoardo the 2nd' Bianchi Camaleonte Cross
  • naffcat
    Thanks for all the replies - here's the thing - I'm going to do a one off Ride2Work scheme to get a nice bike - however - I'm really torn between Hybrid and Road now.

I did what some suggested and test rode a couple of nice road bikes trek and kona both felt amazing and really light and fast although perhaps a little clumsy due to having never riden a road bike before.

I seem to spend a lot of my time stand 'ridng' on my existing MTB and my flat work shoes mean my feet slide forward so pedal positions probably are wrong - I've been told this is in effecient??.

On the short test rides of road bikes I suffered from toe catch and occasional knee catch on the drops when trying to stand and do slow moves on turn - I guess this was down to lack of experience though?

Having thought about it as much as I might like to think I would be able to have time to do lots of riding at weekends reality is probably different so I suspect my daily commute of 6 miles or so will equate to 80% of my riding.

Couple of bikes I've been looking at are the Boardman Hybrids which seem, Boardman Road, Trek 1.5t and Scott Speedster.

I guess all are probably too good for my short commute however I may extend it a little on nice days :o)

What do people think based on my new comments above ??
  • Stevo_666
    Hard to say really - can you get any more test rides of the ones you want? (I realise Halfords are a bit tricky with Boardman test rides). IMO if the reality is that 80% of your riding is a 6 mile commute, get a hybrid. Then if you feel the road bug bite and you get more time for longer rides, get a roadie for that. 2 bikes better than 1 :)