Rider Down - apparent fatality

il_principe
il_principe Posts: 9,155
edited April 2010 in Commuting chat
Rider Down - Oxford Street: http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/ ... -street.do

Argh, according the the LFGSS thread this has become a fatality. RIP.

:cry:

Comments

• jamesco
    jamesco Posts: 687
    That's just awful. You'd think the drivers would be trained to hit a car rather than a person, if they have to make the choice. The bus is on the sodding pavement. Unfathomable.
  • RIP :cry:
  • Ugh! RIP to another unknown cyclist, condolences to her family and friends, and I hope the pedestrian also struck down pulls through.

From the lfgss page it sounds like the roadworks there were an accident waiting to happen.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    :cry::cry::cry:
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • linsen
    linsen Posts: 1,959
    very sad indeed, especially as these things are so avoidable
    Emerging from under a big black cloud. All help welcome
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,200
    Terrible - condolences to the family. :cry:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    i noticed the road was closed with a police officer when i was riding home from RP this evening. didnt think it was something like this. terrible news

:(

its becoming too common unfortunately
  • hells
    hells Posts: 175
    It is incredibly tragic and avoidable. But I do not blame the bus driver. I blame the car driver who suddenly and dangerously pulled out. The bus driver did what anyone would naturally do, something unexpectedly pulled out with no warning in front of him/her in a split second his/her brain instinctively made him/her swerve away from the object in front of them. Unfortunately this time there were people in the direction of their swerve. No matter how much training they are given a person will still act on natural instinct in such sceanarios. They do not have the luxury of time to think in these situations. The bus driver will forever have this on their concious and probably is thinking why didnt i drive into the car instead of swerving.
    Scott Addict R2 2010
    Trek 1.7 compact 2009
    Tank race elite 2007
    Marin Alpine trail 2007
    Specalized Langster 2010
    Kona Jake the Snake
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    hells wrote:
    It is incredibly tragic and avoidable. But I do not blame the bus driver. I blame the car driver who suddenly and dangerously pulled out. The bus driver did what anyone would naturally do, something unexpectedly pulled out with no warning in front of him/her in a split second his/her brain instinctively made him/her swerve away from the object in front of them. Unfortunately this time there were people in the direction of their swerve. No matter how much training they are given a person will still act on natural instinct in such sceanarios. They do not have the luxury of time to think in these situations. The bus driver will forever have this on their concious and probably is thinking why didnt i drive into the car instead of swerving.

a) its far too early to be casting blame and without knowledge of all the facts, you are simply jumping to conclusions.

Wait until all the facts are known before starting to blame individuals

You are basing your blame on the basis of what? half a sentence in a news report? Hardly the most reliable evidence is it?
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    spen666 wrote:
    a) its far too early to be casting blame and without knowledge of all the facts, you are simply jumping to conclusions.

Wait until all the facts are known before starting to blame individuals

You are basing your blame on the basis of what? half a sentence in a news report? Hardly the most reliable evidence is it?

You should be quoting Jamesco as well if you want to give the impression you are open minded :wink:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Very sad.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • R.I.P. Condolences to the family.

This is just awful! :cry:
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    Nasty indeed, RIP
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    it is awful, but more people die crossing the roads on foot than on bike.

I'm not sure I can pull off selective horror at one persons death while ignoring others.
  • BBC is reporting it as a collision between two buses:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/engl ... 621087.stm
    Never be tempted to race against a Barclays Cycle Hire bike. If you do, there are only two outcomes. Of these, by far the better is that you now have the scalp of a Boris Bike.
  • jamesco
    jamesco Posts: 687
    Rolf F wrote:
    You should be quoting Jamesco as well if you want to give the impression you are open minded :wink:

Fair point, definitely jumped the gun, judgement taken back and suspended :P
  • hells
    hells Posts: 175
    My post was based on what info has been given so far and in response to Jamesco who said drivers should be trained to drive into the other vehicle not people.
    Scott Addict R2 2010
    Trek 1.7 compact 2009
    Tank race elite 2007
    Marin Alpine trail 2007
    Specalized Langster 2010
    Kona Jake the Snake
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    RIP
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Tragic. RIP. Hope ped injured in same incident makes a recovery.

:(
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    Jamesco, Hells and others - please note.

It is less than 24 hours since this tragic accident and the papers are now saying
    Police sources said the driver of the double-decker appeared to have lost concentration and crushed the cyclist as she passed a bus stop. The bus became impaled on part of the shelter, with its windscreen smashed.
    This is in the Evening Standard.

That is now 3 versions of events:

1. Car pulled out in front of bus
    2. Two buses collided
    3. Bus driver lost concentration

This is exactly why it is foolish to start apportioning blame. A simple but tragic accident and 3 different accounts have already emerged in less than 24 hours.
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    spen666 wrote:

It is less than 24 hours since this tragic accident and the papers are now saying
    Police sources said the driver of the double-decker appeared to have lost concentration and crushed the cyclist as she passed a bus stop. The bus became impaled on part of the shelter, with its windscreen smashed.

2. Two buses collided

This is exactly why it is foolish to start apportioning blame. A simple but tragic accident and 3 different accounts have already emerged in less than 24 hours.

+1.

Though there will be at least one person who will try and disagree with you. :roll:
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    spen666 wrote:

2. Two buses collided

This is exactly why it is foolish to start apportioning blame. A tragic accident and 3 different accounts have already emerged in less than 24 hours.

Fixed that for you.