Cycle AT Work scheme. Any suggestions?

fnegroni
fnegroni Posts: 794
edited April 2010 in Commuting chat
Dear all,

today I had the idea of setting up something which I would call 'Cycle AT Work'.

Make one medium size bike, one helmet and one silver-rated lock available to anyone in the building to use.

Why one bike? It's the only bike we have available whose owner doesn't currently use and doesn't mind other people using.

Why a helmet? I personally don't use it, but if the lack of a helmet is the only reason that stops people from cycling to town and back, I'd rather we had one available.

Why a lock? We all know why :-(

The idea came to me today as I commuted with public transport (i.e. wife gave me a lift) and really needed to get to the bank quickly at the other side of town. Luckily for me I keep a spare lock at work for when I use my race bike, and don't mind not wearing a helmet.
We are within yards of the nearest cycle route (NCR 4) and our town is quite bike friendly.
There is a cycle hire scheme from the LBS but that's the opposite side of town and chargable, whilst this one is free for use by fellow employees.

Has anyone else put a similar scheme in place?
Is one bike too little to start with?

Bear in mind the Company currently has no interest in a cycle to work scheme, let alone sponsoring this idea.
It is just out of personal commitment.

Maintenance of bikes would be carried out by myself or the local LBS.

Is there any legal requirement to get the bike serviced if it's a sort of 'underground' scheme?

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Taking a ride on the office bicycle used to be far more fun that that. :?
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I used to work on a business park (Blythe Valley Park in Solihull), and the park management put up posters in the various offices telling us that there were a couple of men's and women's bikes available to use for free.

I think the idea was that you'd use it to get a bit of exercise at lunchtime as the business park was 'sympathetically' built around an SSSI, which was developed and protected as part of the business park development.

So it looks like it can be done.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • fnegroni
    edited April 2010
  • andyb78
    andyb78 Posts: 156
    Taking a ride on the office bicycle used to be far more fun that that. :?

New keyboard please :lol:
    Road bike FCN 6

Hardtail Commuter FCN 11 (Apparently, but that may be due to the new beard...)
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Our office (v Eco minded organisation) has two Dahon Folders in the basement. One has had a flat for about a year. The other I use occasionally (4 mile trip to other office, slightly shorter trip to the dentist!) - last time I used it I parked it up in a distinctive way - it was probably at least 8 weeks til it moved again.

It's a nice idea but you might need to work at it to keep people aware so they use the thing.

Heading to London next month so I might take the folder with me for weekend transport - including to a potential Morpeth visit :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • FeynmanC
    FeynmanC Posts: 649
    I'm sure there would be various liability issues if you were to service the bike, etc, but so long as you make sure your @ss is covered, I think it's a good idea.
    us0.png
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    My company has had pool bikes for years - as far as I know no-one has ever used them
  • fnegroni
    My company has had pool bikes for years - as far as I know no-one has ever used them

What's wrong with PEOPLE!

Ok, from what I am gathering, it might work, but most likely be a flop, and will also mean someone might sue me...

Will just have to keep it an underground secret society then! like a Dead Cyclist Society or something!