I'm not helping myself today...

Kieran_Burns
Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
edited April 2010 in Commuting chat
there are roadworks in the village next to where I work and this means temporary traffic lights where the usual ones are... some prawn set the light cycle to only allow one direction through at a time and this is causing a HUGE delay all 'round the area.

The commercial park I work on has ONE exit - onto the A60 that runs into the village. Some people are taking over an hour to get out at the end of the day.

As you can imagine, it is the most common cause for complaint during any conversation in the office at the moment.

Well at lunch today there was a group having a right old whinge about the situation and coming up with all sorts of hair-brained schemes on how to get out more quickly - some of the people involved were getting quite heated about the whole situation.

I walked up, and expressed my symapthy with them all.... well... ish...

"I cycled in" I said. (while trying not to look smug)

I guess the bit when I said I'd cycle past everyone and wave didn't go down too well either.

I still think the responses were a little unfair... chasing after me in the car would be a little extreme, opening the door on me as I go past is way too much and nicking me bike is just not on! :twisted:

I might get a t-shirt printed with "Schadenfreude" on the back :P
Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
2011 Trek Madone 4.5
2012 Felt F65X
Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter

Comments

• Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    :lol: That'll larn ya :lol:
  • FeynmanC
    FeynmanC Posts: 649
    Take a pic of yourself, sat with a nice cup of tea with a clock showing how early you got home tonight, then email it to them all tomorrow.

I'd hide your bike for a few days too, just in case ;)
    us0.png
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Wait until your mates have joined the queue, cycle up to them, knock on the window, wave cheerfully, cycle off!
  • Mickey Eye
    Mickey Eye Posts: 590
    Say that since you feel it's unfair that you get away so quickly you can stop and chat for a couple of minutes with each of them on the way out.
  • Kieran_Burns
    My God. You are an evil lot....

I'm not saying I disagree or disapprove of ANYTHING said here, it's merely an observation :wink:
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    KB, maybe some new bikewear: http://www.quickerbybike.blogspot.com/ :twisted:
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Offer someone a lift home.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    A bit more sympathy would be in order - eg say something like "Yeah, worst commute of the year by far - took me an extra 5 minutes to get home; I thought it would never end"
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Kieran_Burns
    Rolf F wrote:
    A bit more sympathy would be in order - eg say something like "Yeah, worst commute of the year by far - took me an extra 5 minutes to get home; I thought it would never end"

yeah - except I had the headwind from hell this morning which means I'll get the tailwind from heaven on the way home and I'm going to blast it all the way....

I'm looking at the windmills over in the park and if anything, the wind has shifted MORE to my direction home and strengthened... :lol:
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • Why not take a flask of cocoa with you, and offer it to the poor souls? They're bound to be appreciative, they could be there ages.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    text them when you get home detailing your lovely refreshing beverage you have on the go (a picture of a beer here will work wonders) and say hope your car isn't too hot etc
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • mw22
    mw22 Posts: 78
    Kieran...
    Can remember chatting to you a while ago about routes... you going down Ruddington Lane onto clifton bridge??

Have to keep my eye out for some SCR :wink:

Mike
    Road: Kuota Kebel
    TT: Canyon Speedmax
    Work: Norco search
  • Kieran_Burns
    mw22 wrote:
    Kieran...
    Can remember chatting to you a while ago about routes... you going down Ruddington Lane onto clifton bridge??

Have to keep my eye out for some SCR :wink:

Mike

Ruddington, through to Clifton, down the hill to Gotham, then turn right to Kingston on Soar and on into Kegworth

I tried to A60 route through Bunny to East Leake, but that's just horrible with the road surface all the way through.

Actually had a guy on a flat bar Trek give me one hell of a scare on the way home. I passed him when he waited to pull out of junction... thinking I was shifting a bit so had nothing to fear from him catching me. I glanced over my shoulder to see him motoring and almost caught up with me! :shock:

So I dug into what little reserves I have at the moment and kept it in the higher gear over the hump and left him, but hell that was scary!
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X