Advice on building up to it.

underdog
underdog Posts: 292
edited May 2010 in MTB beginners
Basically, as the title suggests, I needs some advice onto building up to a decent level of fitness and riding. I bought my bike a few weeks back and have done about 60km on it this week however the one time I tried an ambitious trip up and around the mountain I spent a lot of time walking up hill :oops:

So is it best to put the road miles in and build up the fitness, or just keep going for it up hill and hope you walk a little less each time? I got so frustrated and annoyed with myself having to push the bike, though coming down the other side was quite excellent :lol:

Also living very close to afan forest I am resisting the urge to get in there and making a fool of myself and or getting in everyone's way right now, but when is the right time to give the trails a go?

Comments

• Hercule Q
    Hercule Q Posts: 2,781
    the best thing to do is keep riding it and you'll just get fitter

pinkbike
    Blurring the line between bravery and stupidity since 1986!
  • cgarossi
    cgarossi Posts: 729
    I would work on stamina fitness first. find a a trail with some hills but is relatively untechnical and keep riding it as quickly as you can. rest for a day, then do it again.

Then come back and do some techy bits for a day or two, then repeat.

Keep you hydration levels up with an isotonic drink. Little and often is good. After a ride, go for a carb/protein meal. Before rides, stock up on carbs, up to 12 hours before. So, if you're going out in the morning, have a good meal the evening before. And eat breakfast too, something not too stodgy. I find beans on toast gives me a big boost.
  • phoebian
    phoebian Posts: 497
    Going out running helped me boost my fitness faster, although running is way more boring than cycling...
  • MacAndCheese
    MacAndCheese Posts: 1,944
    I found pacing myself for hills better has done wonders...don't be ashamed to be using the granny ring and going really slowly at the bottom of the hill....I used to use a middle gear and go all out to about half way up and then have to stop and walk. By going up slowly in the lowest gear you tend to get there faster in the long run and you can increase the gear as your fitness increases, plus you get motivated by getting up hills without walking.
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • nikstar1
    nikstar1 Posts: 103
    I would go easy on yourself! It doesn't happen overnight!

Keep building up on the road and going for longer and longer each time - not significantly but just enough to push yourself a bit harder. Once you have built up the strength a bit - have a go at the hill again.

If you do it then great - if you don't then keep on going because eventually you will and it will feel great!

Take you time and don't go over the top - but definitely don't punsih yourself because you can't do it immediately!.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Don't forget to stretch after a session on the bike.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • ireland57
    ireland57 Posts: 84
    Steady as she goes.

Don't smash yourself at this early stage. I.e. no 100% efforts yet.

They take too long to recover properly from until you're fit. Build a good base first.

Dependant on age and fitness, size; maybe 6 months for starters.

I do flat ground and hills both on and off road but spin on the hills (not less than 75 rpm).

Pushing big gears when starting out wears some of us out quickly.
  • nikstar1
    nikstar1 Posts: 103
    Very good point!

Doing other exercise around cycing will be beneficial too. Swimming is great to get every muscle in your body working!
  • Ho hum
    Ho hum Posts: 236
    I found pacing myself for hills better has done wonders...don't be ashamed to be using the granny ring and going really slowly at the bottom of the hill....I used to use a middle gear and go all out to about half way up and then have to stop and walk. By going up slowly in the lowest gear you tend to get there faster in the long run and you can increase the gear as your fitness increases, plus you get motivated by getting up hills without walking.

Agreed.

It is very disheartening getting beaten by a hill because you are in too high a gear.

Start with a low gear and then work your way up as your fitness increases :)
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    underdog wrote:
    Also living very close to afan forest I am resisting the urge to get in there and making a fool of myself and or getting in everyone's way right now, but when is the right time to give the trails a go?

I would give the trails a go now :D

I started off riding Penhyd (sp?) with zero MTB experience and rubbish fitness. I couldn't ride all of it, but it was bloody good fun and gave me the encouragement to WANT to get loads better and fitter to be able to ride it faster! Experienced riders can either ride around you, or you can pull over and let them pass. And don't let making a fool of yourself stop you - I don't know of any MTBer who doesn't do this on a regualr basis regardless of how good they are!!!

You're so lucky living where you do, I would just get get in there and have some fun :D
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    keep riding, the harder you push yourself for a session the stronger you'll come back given decent recovery time. The trick is to avoid over-training, because then you get disheartened really quickly. Going out and seeing just how fast you can do your local lap becomes very very addictive and you'll find your fitness improving pretty quickly.

Try to keep the increase in mileage small though, no more than a 5% increase in a week.
  • 5pudgun
    5pudgun Posts: 402
    Don't dismiss the benefits plenty of road miles will bring. Mix up your riding and take your time and enjoy. Don't let it become a chore :lol:
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    And don't get too hard on yourself, the hills around Afan are pretty serious beasties.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • You gradually build up stamina as you keep riding, that's what I've found anyhow. You know your becoming fitter when you complete a circuit quickly. :)
  • Afan forest seems to have trails for everyone so just get out there and ride them within a month of taking up mountain biking i rode the red trail at glentress (by accident though)