So, what bike? (Anyone have a Honky Inc?)

Aidy
Aidy Posts: 2,015
edited October 2010 in Commuting chat
Yes, yes. I know I should try them if possible. And yes, I know, this is *another* thread on the subject.

Trying to work out what I want to replace the stolen commuter with.

It'll be an insurance thing, so I might have limited choice if I don't want the hassle of arguing for a cash payout. Should be about £1k to play with.

I'm pretty much after something with drop bars, disc brakes, able to take a rack.
Race geometry rather than tourer geometry. Steel would be cool, tho' aluminium doesn't entirely offend me. Shimano gearing (for spares compatibility with other bikes). I'm not tooooo bothered about weight, but lighter is better, obviously.

Favourite at the moment is the Genesis Croix De Fer.
If only it was a bit more subtle than white, and had better wheels. It does seem a little overpriced for what you get, too.

Alternative thoughts are to argue that they don't have anything which will be a sufficient replacement, and build up a Planet X Uncle John, or a Cotic RoadRat. Although I'm not convinced by the gear hanger arrangement of the latter.

Comments

• prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    Genesis or kona honky inc for me.

Unless you fancy a custom bob jackson, they'll put discs on mmm. God I wish I was rich.

No not you rich158 :P
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Aidy
    Hmm, I do like the look of the Honky Inc - do you know if it has rack mounts?
  • prawny
    I think so, even if it doesn't youo can get good racks that don't need mounts, I was running one on my boardman until lkast week, I took it of because it was slowing me down, back to sweaty backs for me :?
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Interesting you say, "Race geometry", but then list CX bikes. Surely the short top-tube makes them anything but racy?
  • BR 1979
    BR 1979 Posts: 296
    That Crois de Fer is absolutely lovely. Almost makes me want to lock my bike up with a cable lock too.... ;)
  • Aidy
    prawny wrote:
    I think so, even if it doesn't youo can get good racks that don't need mounts, I was running one on my boardman until lkast week, I took it of because it was slowing me down, back to sweaty backs for me :?

Yeah, I've managed it before - I kinda like the idea of actually having a bike set up for it properly, though.
  • Aidy
    Interesting you say, "Race geometry", but then list CX bikes. Surely the short top-tube makes them anything but racy?

Well, I'm keen to have disc brakes and rack mounts, so it kinda limits options. CX geometry is better than tourer geometry, in any case.
  • prawny
    Aidy wrote:
    prawny wrote:

Yeah, I've managed it before - I kinda like the idea of actually having a bike set up for it properly, though.

Looking at the Kona website it says it's set up for fenders, and it looks like there are mountings on the seat stays but even if not you could use one of the seat collar do dahs.

There's not really any kona dealers round my way to have a look at one, might have a look when the CTW scheme opens again though.
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    The Genesis all the way - it is a really classy bike. Plus I'd be very interested to hear how the Shimano mechanical discs compare to the Avids.
  • Aidy
    Roastie wrote:
    The Genesis all the way - it is a really classy bike. Plus I'd be very interested to hear how the Shimano mechanical discs compare to the Avids.

Yeah, I'm sorta feeling the Genesis.

It does feel like it should come slightly higher specced at the price point it's at though.
  • BR 1979
    BR 1979 Posts: 296
    I saw a fat lass sweating away on a Crois de Fer at the lights by Hyde Park Corner this morning.

I sort of held up my hands (photographer style) to crop her out of the view and, yeah, it's a very good looking bike. Love it.
  • prawny
    I was thinking about this again this morning, an extra £100 gets you 105 10 speed over tiagra 9 speed and a carbon fork. If these things are important it's quite good value.

For commuting though, I quite fancy a steel fork, god I want a croix de fer :cry:
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Aidy
    prawny wrote:
    I was thinking about this again this morning, an extra £100 gets you 105 10 speed over tiagra 9 speed and a carbon fork. If these things are important it's quite good value.

For commuting though, I quite fancy a steel fork, god I want a croix de fer :cry:

Yeah, the Honky Inc does look much more reasonably spec'd for the price.

That said, rack mounts are important to me on a commuter, and really, I'd rather keep things as 9 speed (I'm slightly unconvinced by the longevity of 10 speed chains, and the other bikes are 9 speed, so there's spares compatibility).
  • Aidy
    After talking to the insurance company's preferred agent, the current favourite is the Honky Inc. With some extras. :)

I'm halfway tempted to make the effort to downgrade it to 9 speed, though.

No Croix De Fers until the end of June, boo.
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    Honky is nice :); bummer on the Genny availability.
  • Aidy
    Roastie wrote:
    Honky is nice :); bummer on the Genny availability.

Yeah, if it wasn't for the fact they'd given me a proper silly valuation for the Allez, I'd be looking to take the cash and run - but I'm kinda anxious to keep on their good sides to try and make it all go through smoothly :)
  • Mithras
    Mithras Posts: 428
    http://www.vandesselsports.com/crb.html

Van Dessel Country Road Bob.... 8)
    I can afford to talk softly!....................I carry a big stick!
  • Aidy
    So, has anyone actually got a Honky Inc?

Can't seem to actually find a review of one.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Last years Croix de Fer is better spec than this year - full 105 and carbon forks
  • Aidy
    Last years Croix de Fer is better spec than this year - full 105 and carbon forks

Yeah, if it was my money I was spending (rather than going via the insurance company), I'd be hunting for a 2009 CdF.
  • Aidy
    Hm, think I'm going to buckle, and wait for whenever it is they'll have them in stock (was last told mid-July).

Having eyed the specs, the geometry is very similar to the Airborne Valkyrie I'm riding - which is probably the best fititng bike I've ever ridden. And whilst the Kona would probably be awesome, any niggles I had with it would always make me wish I'd stuck it out.

Think I'm gonna bodge something cheap and cheerful together in the meantime though. Because exactly what I need is even more bikes.
  • Ngalbrai
    Ngalbrai Posts: 279
    In answer to the earlier question, I have a Honky Inc. Couldn't find a single review myself, very frustrating. Rather than bleating on about it if anyone wants to know details then ask me.

First drop bar bike, also first steel bike, also first disc braked bike.

F'in love it.
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    I have a RoadRat, and have falling in love with it.

The handling is awesome, very nippy and very smooth as it's a steel frame, but still feels light (though mine is a SS).

I've done about 1000 miles on it. and the wheels are still holding up. even though I plough over potholes - perhaps they are bombproof :)

The downside to this bike are the brakes.

The Tektro discs are not that powerful, but at least they are consistent in wet. I actually fitted an Avid BB7 to the front as it was in the sale - it's a big improvement - Cotic should really use these as standard, even though they are heavier than the Tektro.

It fits mudguards, racks, big tyres, thin tyres, drops, flats, etc etc :)