Fingerless gloves vs gloves

hard-rider
hard-rider Posts: 460
edited May 2010 in MTB beginners
Just wondering what people prefer. I can't make up my mind if I should get mitts or gloves. I like the idea of more protection for the fingers the gloves provide but where I love it gets pretty hot and wonder if gloves are going to get too uncomfortable. I ride mostly dry loose gravel or rocky singletrack

If I choose something like the 661 Raji which look light will they offer much more protection in a fall over what a mitt would provide?

Comments

• JamesBrckmn
    JamesBrckmn Posts: 1,360
    i use rajis, good protection, still very well ventilated, so good for summer, not so great for winter, but i'd definetly recomend them
  • i use 661 comps (cause i bought them from halfords, and didnt know the range available) and they are fine to ride in any weather :)
  • hard-rider
    Great. I'll go for a pair of 661 Raji's then as they look light.
  • phoebian
    phoebian Posts: 497
    Also have a pair of 661 Comps, they a quite ventilated and light.
  • I have some 661 comps and some cheapy fingerless ones! Both comfy in the warm weather we have had lately! The 661's are a good glove imo

Richard
  • I would go for full fingered ones..much better and more comfy, as said before the 661 Raji's have got great reviews from WMB and MBUK as an excellent summer glove.
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    661 Raji's or Royal Air's are the best summer gloves available IMHO

Currently using the royal's and have been through all of winter. They were not to cold but would have rathered winter gloves for the snowy rides. I know this is obvious but for those of us that can only afford 1 pair of gloves at a time (is cheapskates :lol: ) it is better to get some summer gloves than winter gloves
  • Atz
    Atz Posts: 1,383
    Personally I hated the Rajis I got and I gave them away. Other than the coldest part of the year I wear Fox Unabomber gloves and have never had a problem with my hands getting too hot. Always go for long fingers, there's no reason not to and the protection is worth it if you ever have a fall.
  • ads4
    ads4 Posts: 698
    Funny how views change with experience. I started mountainbiking last year and kitted myself out with fingerless gloves, bottle and cage, and bar ends....within a few months the gloves went for long fingered ones, the bottle and cage to a Camelbak and the bar ends just went :)

Specialized BG Ridge gloves for me, mesh backing makes them very light and well vented.

http://www.cyclesurgery.com/1028290/Spe ... Glove.html
    Adam.

Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

Current ride - Yeti ASR 5a X0
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Do the rajis still fall apart as fast as they used to?

I'll just carry on wearing my Fox Sidewinders, til those die but they show no sign of it. Not sure I've ever suffered from the misery of Slightly Warm Hands so I just wear 'em all summer, lovely.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Will Snow
    Will Snow Posts: 1,154
    hmmm... in the summer i cant wear gloves at all, even when dhing. though i find 661s dont last to long without repair. My tuppences worth
    i ride a hardtail
  • hard-rider
    661 Rajis are on order from CRC. Hopefully they won't fall apart to soon.
  • dzamars
    dzamars Posts: 1
    I've buyed a pair of 661 Comps, work just fine for me.
  • nikstar1
    nikstar1 Posts: 103
    Fox full fingered are currently my favourite but I think the Rajis will do just fine. You need to find something that is comfortable foryou but I would recommend full fingered as they give far more protection.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    I usually wear full finger gloves Fox Incline at the moment. However I sometimes like to go out with the camera and just pootle along looking for nice views then it is fingerless mitts. Makes it so much easier to use camera without all the hassle of taking gloves off dropping them then riding off without them.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Ah, now that makes perfect sense, I'd never thought of that... I love getting pics on rides, I should probably try a set of mitts for that. Cheers!
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,406
    Would have thought that full finger gloves will be too hot where you are this time of year. It was too hot for anything other than fingerless gloves last weekend in Kent ! That said, I get very hot when I push it.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Skonk
    Skonk Posts: 364
    I used fingerless last summer thinking they'd be cooler but then got some Specialized gloves (forgot the model) which are full fingered but have thin mesh between the fingers for cooling and they are as cool to wear as the fingerless while being more comfy and offering more protection.

So I reckon a good set of vented full fingered gloves are the ones to go for.
    Canyon Spectral AL 9.0 EX
    Planet X RT90 Ultegra Di2
  • Hitby
    Hitby Posts: 218
    I have a set of assos 851 early winters for when it's cold and some specialized gel mitts for the summer. Best of both worlds, I don't like my hands being too hot which they would be in full fingered gloves in the summer.

Having said that, the meshed ones skonk has sound good.