So am racing at Darley Moor on Sat maybe.

freehub
freehub Posts: 4,257
edited April 2010 in Amateur race
Is this circuit the crazy one where people keep having crashes?

It's Mcr Wheelers Road Race.

Comments

• Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    I'm racing there on Saturday, although with the older age group than yours.

There ARE crashes there, but no more than anywhere else. Tight turn on one corner.

VERY windy circuit.

It's one of the places where a lot of beginners go to race for the first time, so possibly why people think there are lots of crashes there. I've seen a few over the years I've been going there - including one where the air ambulance had to come take a guy away...

But will probably be very similar to the Salt Ayre races. Just with more wind and the circuit is longer.
  • Slow1972
    Slow1972 Posts: 362
    You'll be okay Will. The worst races on Darley Moor for crashes are the BC Cat 3/4 races where I've seen 100+ in the field. It all gets a bit nervy down to the hairpin and through the chicane, that's where the crashes usually happen.

Wouldn't expect those numbers in the Wheelers TLI race on Saturday so things should be okay. You'll be fine
  • Pokerface
    The TLI race is broken down into age/ability groups also - so smaller groups.
  • Pokerface
    On the plus side - show up - and if you don't win your race - you can have another crack at it in the handicap race right afterwards! 2 for the price of one.
  • freehub
    Yeah I might have a go twice, that'd be awesome.

Where is the circuit? Is it near chesterfield?
  • Pokerface
    Nowhere near Chesterfield. It's outside of Ashbourne.

In order, you would go Macclesfield, Leek, ASHBOURNE, Derby. So it's between Derby and Leek
  • freehub
    Ah right, I was going to cycle out from Mcr city center to the race but I'm doing a club ride on Sunday so getting a lift now.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Just to add a slight clarification to the directions - from Ashbourne you want to head south on the A515 - it is a couple of miles south of Ashbourne on that road on the left and well signed. If you headed towards Derby from Ashbourne you'd be on the A52. The circuit is flat and as has been said very windy and cold - it was originally an airfield but apparently was never used because it proved too windy - they had to build another one which is now an industrial estate at the top of Ashbourne (uninteresting fact number 345).

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • Pokerface
    Glorious day for it. Hopefully it won't be hurricane force winds there today as per usual!
  • freehub
    Where did you get to Pokerface?

I did the same mistake again. Ended up on the front for ages. I moved around trying to get people to come past but they would not, so next time I'll slow right down. I came like 8th or something, so pretty crap, out of 10 or 12 people it was. I got blown away at the sprint as I never had enough energy.

So on the Handicap round, the front group had a 1 min headstart, our group caught them and I went on the come 2nd and won 20 quid.

I'm improving, at least I never got lapped this time :p
  • Pokerface
    I went off the back after the first lap. One race was enough for me - I was a more burned out than I thought - plus the pace of your race was faster than the one before.

With so many people in that race trying NOT to be on the front - you have to be pretty sneaky to remain further back in the pack! The back straight into the wind really saps your energy.

Before I left - I had a look at the race and saw you at the back of the main bunch. But you weren't struggling or anything. Coming around the bottom corner before heading back towards the start/finish line.
  • freehub
    I ended up on the front eventually on the short straight, that turned onto the bit with the finish line on. I was on the front quite abit and probs used tons of energy, I felt ok but obviously and now I know it must have sapped away at my top end power cause they all left me on the finish, I crawled back to the finish at like 10mph.

Still I know for next time. It's as if the adrenaline blocks thought process though, I dunno why the hell I just did not move all the way to the left and slow right down to a slow pace that would force people to overtake.
  • Pokerface
    I tried that (moving over and slowing down) - and everyone behind me just did the same thing! Finally they got fed up and went past me.

BC races are much harder and have a lot more movement in them - plus much bigger fields. But it was still a good day.
  • freehub
    I like the idea of much bigger fields, today it was made harder due to mega tiny amounts of people. Still a good event like.

I don't think that can be true for all BC races being harder, I know they have larger turn outs but all can't possibly be harder. I do want to do BC like but I'm not going to this year so gotta stick with TLi's.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/30333702

And for the HC:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/30333697
  • Pokerface
    Are you doing the TLI Cheshire RR series? Tuesday nights - starts in just over a week.

No - not all BC races are harder. But with more people and more attacks/higher pace - they FEEL harder!

The race I did today (40+) was definitely one of the easiest I've ridden.
  • freehub
    Pokerface wrote:
    Are you doing the TLI Cheshire RR series? Tuesday nights - starts in just over a week.

No - not all BC races are harder. But with more people and more attacks/higher pace - they FEEL harder!

The race I did today (40+) was definitely one of the easiest I've ridden.

What sort of speed was the 40+ doing?

I dunno, I'm going to look into the RR series now, I might consider doing it.
  • Pokerface
    About 20MPH average I'm guessing.

30MPH one way - but only 12MPH coming back.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    You should have done Salt Ayre today, cracking race!!
  • Karl2010
    Karl2010 Posts: 511
    Alright guys im not too clued up on all of this.

What is a:
    TLI?
    TLI Cheshire RR series?
    BC?
    Darley Moor? - I think this is a race track they have motor bikes on there aswell is that right?
  • freehub wrote:
    So on the Handicap round, the front group had a 1 min headstart, our group caught them and I went on the come 2nd and won 20 quid.

As you don't have any other source of income does this make you a pro cyclist? :lol:
  • freehub
    Yeah, I'm a pro cyclist now, only way is up! :lol:

Some pics:

th_DarleyMoorTLI170410417.jpg
    th_DarleyMoorTLI170410432.jpg
    th_DarleyMoorTLI170410469.jpg
    th_DarleyMoorTLI170410522.jpg
    th_DarleyMoorTLI170410526.jpg
  • tomb8555
    tomb8555 Posts: 229
    Looking good! Well done. :-)

Nice low body position in the sprint
  • Pokerface
    Karl2010 wrote:
    Alright guys im not too clued up on all of this.

What is a:
    TLI?
    TLI Cheshire RR series?
    BC?
    Darley Moor? - I think this is a race track they have motor bikes on there aswell is that right?

TLI: www.theleagueinternational.com
    BC: www.britishcycling.org.uk
    TLI Cheshire RR Series is a series of 5 road races on Tuesday nights through May.
    Darley Moor is a circuit outside Ashbourne used for circuit races on a regualr basis. Motorbike racing there also.
  • Pokerface
    Here's me, leading the pack at the race before yours Will:

Cycling2.jpg
  • freehub
    Your bike looks well small :P

Are you on tubs? They sound abit of a let down, I heard NapD had a puncture in his race, and you had one in your race too?
  • Pokerface
    freehub wrote:
    Your bike looks well small :P

Are you on tubs? They sound abit of a let down, I heard NapD had a puncture in his race, and you had one in your race too?

Yes - on tubs. Great for some surfaces, not so great for others I guess! Lots of small bits of gravel on the Darley circuit.

The bike isn't small. The rider is just too big. :)
  • freehub
    Just thought I'd share some more pics.

I look like I'm about to kill someone on the sprint!

th_WheelersTLIRR_054.jpg
    th_WheelersTLIRR_085.jpg
    th_WheelersTLIRR_104.jpg
    th_WheelersTLIRR_145.jpg
    th_WheelersTLIRR_146.jpg