Cyclist fined £700 for jumping red light

Comments

• beverick
    beverick Posts: 3,461
    No, he was fined a total of £700 for 'a catalogue of offences".

Less of the Daily Mail headlines please.
  • zanes
    zanes Posts: 563
    Good.
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    beverick wrote:
    Less of the Daily Mail headlines please.
    :D
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    it's for breaking nearly every rule trying to evate the fuzz and not turning up at court...good

Rubbish thread title though
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    That's not a cyclists, that's a bloke on a bike.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • asprilla
    Edit: double post.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • iainment
    iainment Posts: 992
    Asprilla wrote:

who happens to be a cyclist - look at your dictionary.
    Old hippies don't die, they just lie low until the laughter stops and their time comes round again.
    Joseph Gallivan
  • asprilla
    iainment wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:

I'll check out pedant while I'm there as well, shall I?
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • londonbairn
    londonbairn Posts: 316
    Good, yesterday saw a few people being fined for RLJing yesterday around the city. Maybe if they done it regulary, they'd reduce the amount of dangerous cycling that affects us all.
  • iainment
    Asprilla wrote:
    iainment wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:

Maybe I am, but I've done it for you,

Main Entry: ped·ant
    Pronunciation: \ˈpe-dənt\
    Function: noun
    Etymology: Middle French, from Italian pedante
    Date: 1588
    1 obsolete : a male schoolteacher
    2 a : one who makes a show of knowledge b : one who is unimaginative or who unduly emphasizes minutiae in the presentation or use of knowledge c : a formalist or precisionist in teaching

Still doesn't make you right though does it,

cy·clist (sklst)
    n.
    One who rides or races a bicycle, motorcycle, or similar vehicle.
    Old hippies don't die, they just lie low until the laughter stops and their time comes round again.
    Joseph Gallivan
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    iainment wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:
    iainment wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:

2 a : one who makes a show of knowledge b : one who is unimaginative or who unduly emphasizes minutiae in the presentation or use of knowledge c : a formalist or precisionist in teaching

cy·clist (sklst)
    n.

actually yes it does.

You've failed to realise that the initial point is to parallel the individuals actions with the term 'POB' (Pedestrian On Bike) as opposed to 'cyclist' which in the initial post (by Asprilla) refers to an exprienced and considerate bike rider.

The point being that Asprilla was differentiating us cyclists from idiots on bikes. A point you failed to pick up on, and then subsequently demonstrated the exact behaviour described in the term 'pedant'.

You might want to look up the term 'irony' with regards to the post of yours I have quoted....
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • zanes
    zanes Posts: 563

You might want to look up the term 'irony' with regards to the post of yours I have quoted....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AY-rVVRZoC8
  • iainment
    iainment wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:
    iainment wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:

cy·clist (sklst)
    n.

actually yes it does.

You've failed to realise that the initial point is to parallel the individuals actions with the term 'POB' (Pedestrian On Bike) as opposed to 'cyclist' which in the initial post (by Asprilla) refers to an exprienced and considerate bike rider.

The point being that Asprilla was differentiating us cyclists from idiots on bikes. A point you failed to pick up on, and then subsequently demonstrated the exact behaviour described in the term 'pedant'.

Someone riding a bike is a cyclist. they may be a poor cyclist, an inexperienced cyclist, a wilfully obnoxious cyclist but that is what they are. You may be a good cyclist - I don't know - but as is the object of the link above you and he are cyclists.

As to the irony, I'm not sure how that applies to this, I hope you can let me know. But in my post I did accept that I may be a pedant over this.
    Joseph Gallivan
  • Wooliferkins
    Wooliferkins Posts: 2,060
    "A cyclist has been fined £700 for a catalogue of traffic offences including jumping a red light and cyclist on the pavement."

So he jumped a cyclist on the pavement? Is he now on the sex offenders register? If so he got off lightly.

No Subbies left at the Argus then?
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    chill out its sunny and theres nice ridin' to be done.

I do not recognise that person as a 'cyclist' in the same way I don't recognise a 14 year old joyrider hooning their latest stolen car up and down my street as a driver or a £49.99 collection of metal, rubber and cables from Asda (and others) as a bicycle. superficially they may appear the same but realistically there are large differences between these things and the mainstream majority.

I'm thorouhly glad that he got a hefty fine, I'd like to see the baliffs at his door asking for it because sadly it sounds like he's got the same disregard for that as for everything else and I doubt any of the £700+ will get to the court coffers.

Also glad to see the cops taking it seriously and aiming a campaign at all road users. good on em.
  • Porgy
    Porgy Posts: 4,525
    the difference between a dictionary defined cyclist and what may be termed a "proper" cyclist is one of ethics, morality and culture.

A true cyclist has committed to all or part of a set of rules, ethics, values, etc. A philosophy if you will. Through a process of learning to ride, interacting with other cyclists, getting involved with cycling issues - they acquire a set of values.

Someone just hopping on a bike does not necessarily have this set of values. They may well be opposed to this set of values - eg, a motorist who has lost his license for careless or dangerous driving. The cycling community cannot hope to have any influence on this sort of cyclist as they are not part of the cycling community.

There - that's my attempt at defining a difference.
  • iainment
    Porgy wrote:
    the difference between a dictionary defined cyclist and what may be termed a "proper" cyclist is one of ethics, morality and culture.

A true cyclist has committed to all or part of a set of rules, ethics, values, etc. A philosophy if you will. Through a process of learning to ride, interacting with other cyclists, getting involved with cycling issues - they acquire a set of values.

Someone just hopping on a bike does not necessarily have this set of values. They may well be opposed to this set of values - eg, a motorist who has lost his license for careless or dangerous driving. The cycling community cannot hope to have any influence on this sort of cyclist as they are not part of the cycling community.

Blimey.
    Joseph Gallivan
  • Wooliferkins
    Wooliferkins Posts: 2,060
    Save a few bob generate your own headlines
    http://www.qwghlm.co.uk/toys/dailymail/
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • Porgy
    Porgy Posts: 4,525
    iainment wrote:
    Porgy wrote:

Blimey.

is that blimey good, or blimey bad?
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    Porgy wrote:

Well done for just excluding thousands of cyclists from the "cycling community".
  • iainment
    Porgy wrote:
    iainment wrote:
    Porgy wrote:

Blimey.

is that blimey good, or blimey bad?

It's blimey O'Reilly.

Erm maybe a tad majestic in it's description of cyclists, who after all are just people riding a bike.
    Joseph Gallivan
  • Slow1972
    Slow1972 Posts: 362
    He's got a point though, most of the people I see RLJing going into Manchester aren't people who are doing longer commutes or look like people who ride their bikes over any length of distance or for the pleasure of it, they are people doing a few miles during their working/university day on a hack bike purely as a means to get from one place to another.

For this reason they have no affinity with other riders, don't give a flying fook whether or not RLJing causes animosity from pedestrians and motorists towards cyclists in general and RLJ because they are going so slow that if they stopped at the lights, they'd never get to work/university ;)

EDIT: "Cool Dude" fakengers on fixies excepted, they obviously spend a few quid on their courier copycat rig and RLJ simply because they don't think the rules should apply to someone as cool as them or, more usually, because they can't stop or trackstand
  • Noel PT
    Noel PT Posts: 627
    I hate to fuel an already heated argument, but would it be fair to say that not everyone that rides a bike is necessarily a cyclist in our dictionary, but thats only because many of us have such a passion for cycling and we hate to be associated with some muppet on two wheels. Someone that drives a car is motorist whether they are good or bad at it. :wink:
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    Slow1972 wrote:
    He's got a point though, most of the people I see RLJing going into Manchester aren't people who are doing longer commutes or look like people who ride their bikes over any length of distance or for the pleasure of it, they are people doing a few miles during their working/university day on a hack bike purely as a means to get from one place to another.

For this reason they have no affinity with other riders, don't give a flying fook whether or not RLJing causes animosity from pedestrians and motorists towards cyclists in general and RLJ because they are going so slow that if they stopped at the lights, they'd never get to work/university ;)

EDIT: "Cool Dude" fakengers on fixies excepted, they obviously spend a few quid on their courier copycat rig and RLJ simply because they don't think the rules should apply to someone as cool as them or, more usually, because they can't stop or trackstand

Most of the people I see RLJ-ing in London are "all the gear" roadies!
  • Noel PT
    Noel PT Posts: 627
    I honestly couldn't tell you who specifically does it. I see all sorts RLJ. But since seeing a guy getting hit by an ambulance last year, I will never do it again. Talk about irony.
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    I'm thorouhly glad that he got a hefty fine, I'd like to see the baliffs at his door asking for it because sadly it sounds like he's got the same disregard for that as for everything else and I doubt any of the £700+ will get to the court coffers.

He will no doubt swap it for Community Service.....I think 1 hour of CS knocks £5 off your fine so....clickety.....3500 hours of community service should do the trick.....
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • mcj78
    mcj78 Posts: 634
    "A cyclist has been fined £700 for a catalogue of traffic offences including jumping a red light and cyclist on the pavement."

Hehe - spotted, although it appears to suggest he jumped a cyclist, and a set of red lights - both of which were on the pavement, sounds like quite an impressive maneuvre - who was this man?...

DM0314.jpg
    Moda Issimo
    Genesis Volare 853
    Charge Filter Apex
  • amnezia
    amnezia Posts: 590
    Save a few bob generate your own headlines
    http://www.qwghlm.co.uk/toys/dailymail/

HOODY WEARING LYCRA LOUT ON BENEFITS RECEIVES £700 FINE. ARE NEW LABOUR TO BLAME? :P
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    This madness won't stop until cyclists are forced to pay road tax like everyone else - AND registers their bikes....

I'm outraged.
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Greg T wrote:
    This madness won,t stop until cyclist's are forced to pay road tax like everyone else - AND registers there bikes....

I,m outraged.

edited for realism...
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter