Fife - Edinburgh. Route help.

Roscobob
Roscobob Posts: 344
edited April 2010 in Commuting chat
Morning all :D

I'm going to start cycling to work in the next couple of weeks and need to know what the best route is from the Forth Bridge into the centre of Edinburgh.

Any help is much appreciated.

Cheers

Comments

• kev_gray
    kev_gray Posts: 44
    Hey,
    Used to Live in South Queensferry myself. Where about in the centre of Edinburgh is it your heading to? I know from the bridge you can actually follow one of the national cycle routes into Edinburgh, I think its no 76 but don't quote me on that one! It takes you up through some estates in queensferry and to Dalmeny through the back of HP/Agillent (or whatever they call it these days) and then up the cycle path at the side of the A90 to the Barnton. From there the path zig zags through all the estates around that area and I know its fairly straightforward and I think from memory signposted to at least Fountainpark nearly. You should be able to get info of it from Sustrans, I know they do a booklet with the route!
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    Coming off the path which dips under the bridge, turn right towards Sth Queensferry high street. You can go all the way along there, past and under the rail bridge if you want, but its cobbled and often slow as 2 cars cannot pass.

Alternatively, follow the road bending right up a ferrocious looking hill, before following the signpost to Dalmeny station. Keep going straight, out of the town, do a quick right then left, and you pop out at the road coming out of Sth Queensferry.

Follow this out of town and join the a cycle path along (but not on) the main road into the city, which spits you out at Crammond. Drop down past the pub and over the bridge, and turn right, which takes you to the junction with the Queensferry Road.

If you are on a hybrid, cross or mtb, I believe that there are various options for cutting right through the Dalmeny estate along the coast. Certainly more picturesque than the main route. Partly paved, mostly gravel, a little bit of woodland path. I can make it through on a cross bike with slicks if its fairly dry.

Either way, you end up on the Queensferry Road, after which it is bus lane/main road for at least part of the rest of the way to the city centre.
  • Roscobob
    Roscobob Posts: 344
    Cheers lads!

Is the path next to the A90 suitable for a road bike? I've heard it's not but I don't trust the person that said it :lol:
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    Roscobob wrote:
    Cheers lads!

Is the path next to the A90 suitable for a road bike? I've heard it's not but I don't trust the person that said it :lol:
    Yes - its perfectly okay for a road bike. You have to kerb hop in a couple of places (i.e. it is a bikepath only in so much as they put signs up - no actual engineering for bicycles!). It is also quite narrow and bumpy in places where tree roots are pushing through, but is paved all the way along.