New brompton or something else?

anono
anono Posts: 52
edited April 2010 in Commuting chat
Just been told that my 6 year old brompton is fatally damaged (crack to frame around seatpost). So, do I replace it with new brompton or go for something different? Budget is about £700, needs to fold quite small, and put up with almost no maintenance. Anyone out there switched from a brompton and wished they'd done it years ago?

Comments

• Hi Anono,

...sorry, I'm hijacking this a bit - but I too have a half dead Brompton - do you fancy offloading your broken one?

Making one good one from the two would help out my commute!
    What do you think?
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    there isnt a better FOLDING bike than a brompton, there are better bikes that fold. but there are no better folding bikes.
  • spasypaddy wrote:
    there isnt a better FOLDING bike than a brompton, there are better bikes that fold. but there are no better folding bikes.
    +1

I am amazed by the engineering ingenuity everytime I fold or unfold one. Plus, cool being able to buy something that was built within cycling distance of where you live :-)
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    for a small fold: no, for a nicer ride: take your pick. depends what you do with it.

I got a Birdy over a Brompton because it is ridden mainly and is far nicer, but the fold is way bulkier and more prone to muck and protruding bits.