Getting my new bike tommorrow, Spesh Hardrock Pro.

abarth_1200
abarth_1200 Posts: 370
edited April 2010 in MTB general
Hi everyone Im picking up my new bike tommorrow.

First thing im doing is checking all the bolts are done up right and setting up my cockpit proper and whipping the stock grips off for something more tastefull.

I have heard the Spesh tyres are crap from few reviews, I am probably going to change them after a few rides. I have narrowed it down to Conti mountain kings and shwalbe Sam sports.

Now a few questions on tyre choices. My terain for the first few weeks will be 60% tarmac, 25% dry hardpack gravel/mud, 15% thin grass covered sand.

Would these tyres be better suited to these conditions.

Also is it better to put a narrower tyre on the rear and a fatter tyre up front for traction?

Thanks guys, If there is a link to tyre choice q's let me know cheers :wink:

EDIT btw what colours look better on a silver frame sky blue, white or red? any pics of your silver bikes. Looking at DMR V8 pedals and cant decide what colour to get :?

Comments

• RealMan
    RealMan Posts: 2,166
    First of all, wait until you ride the thing before decided you're going to change everything. You might find everyone on the internet talks crap all the time, and all the stock stuff suits you perfectly.

Of course, if everyone on the internet is talking crap, then you probably shouldn't be listening to me..

Oh, and my mate who works in a bike shop told me they got 2 frames, 4 seat posts, and 3 sets of handlebars in this week in that had been broken from people over tightening bolts.
  • popstar
    popstar Posts: 1,392
    About tires, you will be fine for all of your starting general ride. Fast Tracks* do roll surprisingly really well and fast, the only reason I have replaced them ... cos of winter and some biblical conditions this winter. They may let you down when it's wet, but lowering tire pressures will do wonders, unless if you really go hardcore into rain and mud, dont see any reason why would you change them. I gave away them to a riding buddy, now as most of my riding is on dry and dusty trails I curse myself for doing that! Oh and they do grip well too ...
    What could have been (Video)

I'll choose not put too much stake into someone's opinion who is admittingly terrible though
  • abarth_1200
    RealMan wrote:
    First of all, wait until you ride the thing before decided you're going to change everything. You might find everyone on the internet talks crap all the time, and all the stock stuff suits you perfectly.

Of course, if everyone on the internet is talking crap, then you probably shouldn't be listening to me..

Oh, and my mate who works in a bike shop told me they got 2 frames, 4 seat posts, and 3 sets of handlebars in this week in that had been broken from people over tightening bolts.

OK im not going to torque the bolts up big time, I know most bolts only need about 6nm of torque and the bike shop will have done it right Im just making sure before something falls off mid ride. Im talking about getting my gear shifters and brakes levers set up the way I lke them.

Ill give the spesh tyres a go and see how they get on.

About the width thing is it better to put fatter tyres up front?
  • RealMan
    RealMan Posts: 2,166
    Depends on what you're planning on riding. On my old hardrock I used to have a 2.35 on the back and a 2.2 on the front. Makes it more fun.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    I have heard the Spesh tyres are crap from few reviews, I am probably going to change them after a few rides. I have narrowed it down to Conti mountain kings and shwalbe Sam sports.
    Can't comment on the particular tyres on your bike but nowt at all wrong as such with Specialized tyres. I love the Captains on my bike.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • abarth_1200
    Got my new bike today its great.

Tyres are pretty good an tarmac very good rolling but they still make that whizzing sound when cranking on the pedals whic I assume is a good thing for grip. Still to have a bash round my local woods.

One odd thing I noticed was the amount of stones the front wheel flicked up against the bottom of the downtube??

I only got about 3 miles in yesterday but is this just becasue of the new tyres, once they wear in a bit they will get less tacky otherwise I think I will be getting one of those long frame patches.