indexing and adjusting sram rival

odichu
odichu Posts: 116
edited April 2010 in The workshop
Hi,

My chain snapped the other day so I replaced it. I've noticed a number of things since and it's messed up shifting. I fixed the shifting to best of my ability (which means they go high and low on both rings and don't jump off the cassette or chainring.

What I can't stop is the loud sound of the chain running through the rear derailer. It's alot noisier than before on the outer gears and not so noisy in the middle.

My fingers red raw from barrel adjustment and cable pulling and wheel stops and I simply cannot stop the loud ticking noise when pedaling. It makes the same noise backward pedaling.

I am about to cave and go to an Evans in London or LBS to have them sort it which I really don't want to do but I think these setups require an amount of precision that I can't quite master unfortunately.

Any suggestions to what I might be able to try would be great, unless it's just the sound of a clean chain that I'm not used to ;/

Thanks

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    you have routed the chain correctly through the mech?

it is sitting correctly on the jockey wheels?

the chain is the right speed?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • odichu
    I didn't initially but yes the chain is routed correctly.
    sits on the jockey wheels straight.
    Chain is for sure the right speed.

Looks like I cut the chain too small first time round. Have a new chain.
    But still the derailer adjustments are a painful process for me, I am still having trouble.

Rubbing on the front derailer or big ticking sounds from the chain going through the rear derailer.

still tinkering.
  • odichu
    Annnnd done.

front derailer was touching chain, adjusted properly when I understood how the barrels and screws work together.
    Jockeys rubbing on cassette at extreme angles result of short chain.

Measure twice cut once!

Using sram 1070 chain instead of shimano 105.

net saving £-40 but still better than taking to a shop.

Thanks
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,624
    Odichu, when your chain is on the smaller chainring, there's half a click on your left shifter with sram rival which moves the front mech slightly. This prevents rubbing when the chain is running at extreme angles.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    odichu wrote:
    Annnnd done.

front derailer was touching chain, adjusted properly when I understood how the barrels and screws work together.
    Jockeys rubbing on cassette at extreme angles result of short chain.

Measure twice cut once!

Using sram 1070 chain instead of shimano 105.

net saving £-40 but still better than taking to a shop.

Thanks

jockey wheels rubbing needs the B adjust setting.

remember you should not use the opposite extremes the big ring with some of the big cogs and the small ring with some of the small cogs (size).
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown