Back in the swing of things!

DevUK
DevUK Posts: 299
edited April 2010 in Commuting chat
I moved flats in February and went from a 2.5 mile commute each way, every day come rain or shine, to a soul destroying bus journey on busses full of students. I cycled it a few times, intending to do the 9 miles each way at least once or twice a week. Sadly, that slipped due to poor weather and a hateful route on some busy A roads in rush hour, and at night. I bought a decent light (Deal Extreme 900 lumin jobby) which helped a lot, but I still wasn't too comfortable with the journey by bike at night. I managed the commute about 6 times since the end of Feb.

Now, with the change in the weather I'm finally getting back into the swing of things :) I'm trying to cycle every day this week (though I missed Monday due to some work issues). I did Thursday and Friday last week, which is the first time I've done it on consecutive days. I actually felt stronger on the Friday and set my personal best of 35 minutes (yes, 9 miles in 35 minutes isn't that good going, but I'm a 5'6 20stone lard arse on a hybrid ;)).

I've got my routes to and from work nailed down, so I avoid the most dangerous section. The route I take now wasn't really possible during the dark mornings/nights as it's completely un-lit B roads with some notoriously bad sections. I'm now doing 9 miles too work and 10.5 home (to avoid a monster 1 in 4 hill!)

Anyhow, I wanted to get that off my chest! It feels great to be back in the saddle, and to have some good weather! Now I just need to do it on my fixie!
FCN Daily commute = 11
FCN Fixie commute = 5

Comments

• Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Well done, excellent work. Very good times too, get yourself on the 1 in 4!! It helps build muscle.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • snellgrove
    snellgrove Posts: 171
    Sounds good 8)

Bet it beats the hell out of public transport :D

Rear lights are the most important at night, and be careful of side visibility. The smart 1/2 Watt is a good'n because it's pretty bright and about £11!

I've got a 500 lumen on the front, and it's adequate, I find. 900 must be lairy, do you ever get flashed by the oncoming?
  • DevUK
    snellgrove wrote:
    Sounds good 8)

Rear lights are the most important at night, and be careful of side visibility. The smart 1/2 Watt is a good'n because it's pretty bright and about £11!

I've got a 500 lumen on the front, and it's adequate, I find. 900 must be lairy, do you ever get flashed by the oncoming?

I've been using 2 smart 1/2 watt rear lights, one flashing and one constant. Also a knogg front and rear and a smart polaris 5 LED on the front to spread out the sources of light a little.

The front 900 lumin has been OK actually. Not been flashed by anyone but I have noticed cars in junctions waiting to pull out have thought twice, thinking I'm a motorbike or something :lol:

I'm not using lights now, as I travel around 5/6pm so it's still light :)
    FCN Daily commute = 11
    FCN Fixie commute = 5
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I'm sorry but when did 9 miles in 35 minutes become something to apologise about?

It seems we're doing our new cycling journey at the same time - mine is a 10.5 mile jaunt and is taking anywhere between 35 and 45 minutes.

As to the side visibility I've got some valve lights which really make you noticeable at night.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • snailracer
    snailracer Posts: 968
    snellgrove wrote:
    Sounds good 8)

:?:

"...Nighttime bicycle/auto collisions show an interesting pattern. Only one quarter of these accidents are the dreaded overtaking from the rear. Three quarters involve motorists coming from the bicyclist's front..."

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/reflectors.html
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    I'm very impressed with the distance/time record. Takes me that long to do less :shock:
  • DevUK
    It took longer this morning, somewhere between 50 mins to an hour. I think I'm going to average about 45 mins. Mind, I'm not bothering with my bike computer at the moment.

Legs feel pretty drained today and had a horrid head wind for much of the journey this morning. I was taking it quite easy to say the least :) Still, the sun's out and I'm actually looking forward to the homeward journey :)
    FCN Daily commute = 11
    FCN Fixie commute = 5
  • holybinch
    holybinch Posts: 417
    Well done sir.
    I had to ramp up my commute progressively, it really drained me initially.
    I took 3 days off the bike Sat to Mon this week, and had a lot more energy on Tuesday.
    Guess you need to give your body some time :S
    FCN 4(?) (Commuter - Genesis Croix de Fer)
    FCN 3 (Roadie - Viner Perfecta)

-- Please sponsor me on my London to Paris ride --
    http://www.diabeteschallenge.org.uk/cha ... n_to_paris
  • DevUK
    Chatting to someone at work today he seemed to think your body needs 48 hours to repair muscles etc. I'm going to see how I feel in the morning about cycling in. Might bus it tomorrow to rest up a little.

The trip home this eve was nice, if a little windy. Being passed by the resident roadie/fitness nut from work was a bit annoying, although he gave a friendly "hello!" on his way past. Gave me someone to aim for for the short amount of time he was in view :lol:

Could be worse routes to cycle home - Nice scenery :)
    FCN Daily commute = 11
    FCN Fixie commute = 5
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I'm doing 3 days a week at the mo - Mon/Wed/Fri

I was tempted to go in this morning, but I do realise I have to give myself time to recover as I've just started as well.

As much as I want to be fit again, I know it takes time
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Good stuff :) . I hate buses, so chapeau on managing that.

No harm in building up and having a rest day while you get used to it.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • DevUK
    I think I'm going for the rest day today. I'm hoping to be able to take tomorrow off work as my flat mate is off. The plan is to go out riding somewhere local so will hopefully clock up another 10 - 20 miles (most likely closer to 10 ;))

Thanks for the support guys :)
    FCN Daily commute = 11
    FCN Fixie commute = 5
  • sarajoy
    sarajoy Posts: 1,675
    Well I'm hijacking this thread as it's title fits me rather well...

I cleaned my chain and got back in the saddle last night for the first time since being knocked off (also I've been abroad almost two weeks so I can kid myself it might've been earlier) - mostly because I didn't want to waste the time walking to and from the swing dance night (eh, see what I did there?) when I could be dancing or in bed instead!

Arm's pretty well healed though I now have a bruised upper bum from some enthusiastic massage by the physio who's glute-fixated in terms of body balance and posture. Owow.
    4537512329_a78cc710e6_o.gif4537512331_ec1ef42fea_o.gif