Bad bottle / Good bottle

Zombie_donkey
Zombie_donkey Posts: 359
edited April 2010 in Commuting chat
When I got my bike on Saturday I purchased a £3.99 water bottle at the same time.

It stank of plastic fumes and even after washing there is a definite plastic smell to it.

I stumbled across a Thermos Hydro active water bottle for £4 in Tesco today and it had a 'BPA free' sticker on it. There is no plastic smell with this one and it looks nicer too.
Giant Escape M1....
Penny Farthing
Unicycle
The bike the Goodies rode
Pogo Stick
Donkey on Roller skates.......OK I'm lying, but I am down to one bike right now and I feel bad about it,

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,714
    SIS bottles are brilliant. Most bottles are, well, just bottles.SIS are almost worth talking about.
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    whyamihere wrote:
    SIS bottles are brilliant. Most bottles are, well, just bottles.SIS are almost worth talking about.

I have an SIS bottle and a camelbak one that has a bite valve and an internal straw so you dont have to lift it high to drink from it, all I need now is another bottle holder lol

Ohh neither really smell of plastic or have an after tase but after washing I make sure I dont seal them back up so if they do give off any fumes they don't collect.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Raleigh bottles are rebranded Zefal which I've bought recently not for the Raleigh name but for the Zefal name you can't see :(
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    IIRC there is something you can wash out plastic bottles with that removes the "new" smell from them but I can't remember what the heck it is :(
  • nation
    nation Posts: 609
    Bicarbonate of Soda removes the plastic smell/taste, in my experience.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    The Camelback Podium bottles are the business.
  • snailracer
    snailracer Posts: 968
    nation wrote:
    AKA baking soda. Not to be confused with baking powder.
  • snailracer wrote:
    nation wrote:
    AKA baking soda. Not to be confused with baking powder.

Yes I used Bicarb.

BPAs have been linked with several types of cancer as well as some other nasty things and are already banned in baby bottles in the EU.

Better to buy BPA free for all food related plastics.
    Giant Escape M1....
    Penny Farthing
    Unicycle
    The bike the Goodies rode
    Pogo Stick
    Donkey on Roller skates.......OK I'm lying, but I am down to one bike right now and I feel bad about it,
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Oh dear god next you'll be saying beer is bad for you :roll:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123

+1

They remove the risk of pulling your front teeth out trying to bite the valve open !
    Misguided Idealist
  • Recommend Camelbak bottles, they are excellent

£1.25 for sign up http://www.quidco.com/user/491172/42301

Cashback on wiggle,CRC,evans follow the link
    http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/MTBkarl
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155

+1

They remove the risk of pulling your front teeth out trying to bite the valve open !

And they are designed to confuse people of limited intelligence, like say - Clever Pun...