A vintage holiday steed

bike-a-swan
bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
edited May 2010 in Your mountain bikes
P4090410.jpg

Visiting family in Dorset last week I took one (of many) of my uncle's old bikes out for a ride around the purbecks. Anybody know much about it? I tried to get onto bikepedia but it doesn't seem to be working.

Anyway, I enjoyed riding it, although the half inch or so of pogo like suspension was a little on the terrifying side on some of the downhills as a result of it's unpredictability. The tyres also seemed to be designed to slide sideways at the slightest provocation and clog up at a hint of mud. Not to mention the brakes, which seemed to be conspicuous mostly by their absence! I used to have bikes like this, and yet now it just seems worryingly old. Finally, though, I had a great day out, really enjoyed myself, so on that definition alone I think it qualifies as a good bike!
Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.

Comments

• woodnut
    woodnut Posts: 562
    Fantastic, and while the frame, fork and brakes look sooooo old, drivetrains haven't changed that much eh? If it was my Uncle I'd have begged it off him and I'd be riding it to work on slicks :twisted:
  • Anybody know much about it?

I knew someone who had one of these, perhaps the first "budget" suspension bike... if I recall the front end fell like jelly, wobbly forks, normally with knackered headset, awful.

I think there was the Activator (1), and an Activiate 2 - full suspension.

Not proper mountain bikes, just general tat.

I bet it weighed a bit, I think the frame was S Steel, not Cromo.
  • seward4or5
    seward4or5 Posts: 79
    woodnut wrote:
    .... I'd be riding it to work on slicks :twisted:

That is exactly what I am doing, only mine is the upgraded STI version, in orange - get me! Agree with all the other comments, it is extremely heavy and the suspension is useless, but to me, it is a useful bike.
    Had mine from new since 1993 ish, some I expect the one in your picture dates from about 1992/3.
    Enjoy!
  • Pik n Mix
    Pik n Mix Posts: 39
    That was the bike of my childhood right there!

mainstream bike with suspension, IME the front forks were very easy to bend (look a bit wonk on that one)

then came the activator 2 full sus lush HAHAHA.

Points for trying though Raleigh