Stem size confusion, bleeding metric rubbish!

itboffin
itboffin Posts: 20,064
edited April 2010 in Commuting chat
Er this might be the wrong place however it does have a lot of foot fall so here goes.

Who's ever measured their "bike" stem? (easy Greg T not twice in one day)

Well having recently built several bikes I just ordered stems to fit they arrived and I fitted them, simple right? well no!

I'm riding along today on the way home thinking this position just does feel right, the geometry it pretty close to my Road bike so why the odd out of place feeling, I eventually put it down to the saddle being to far forward because the stem is too long, so i'm not central.

Anyway when I got home I was just about to remove the stem but thought I'll just measure it to be sure and sure enough it 110mm not 100mm I ordered :evil: bastards have diddled me, before I start firing off stinky emails I'll just measure the other I bought yet 90mm spot on.

So what gives....? I then measured the 100mm Bontrager stem that comes as standard with Trek bikes, uh! it's 110mm yet it clearly says 100mm, WTF is that all about, sure enough another stem 110mm.

Now i've always measured stem length from the centre of the bold to the joining plate centre, if it works for 90 why not for 100.

Can anyone explain this?
Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.

Comments

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,365
    ...and another thing, why do they put plastic around everything, can never get the bleedin' stuff off and milk cartons I can never get them open and plastic bags in supermarkets and don't get me started on those feckin' self service express checkouts........
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • itboffin
    ...and another thing, why do they put plastic around everything, can never get the bleedin' stuff off and milk cartons I can never get them open and plastic bags in supermarkets and don't get me started on those feckin' self service express checkouts........

dude I will come over there and kick you in the ******k****ls :evil:

Now tell me what was wrong with inches eh!
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin
    damn you useless bunch i'll answer my own question.
    center of the handlebar to center of the steerer, along the stem angle, not true horizontal (unless it's a 0deg stem)

:x
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    not all clamps have a split line that is Perpendicular to the axis of the stem and as you have implied above it should be from the intersection point of the stem axis with the steerer clamp axis.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • itboffin
    nicklouse wrote:
    not all clamps have a split line that is Perpendicular to the axis of the stem and as you have implied above it should be from the intersection point of the stem axis with the steerer clamp axis.

Very true but then why is the Deda 90 spot on from c-c but the 100 not? same degree of angle.
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    itboffin wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:

Very true but then why is the Deda 90 spot on from c-c but the 100 not? same degree of angle.
    If you hold three fingers up in front of your face, how many fingers do you see?

I think you've had a blow to the head, dear boy. This has put paid to your chances of completing your assault on the twin peaks of Everest, this year at least. Always Tyred and I will go together, without the two of you.