Bike Frame Protection

CavemanDavvy
CavemanDavvy Posts: 121
edited April 2010 in MTB general
i have recently bought bike shield for my bike frame. Works great but is there any other ways to protect the frame.
Also if u had a new trek remedy 9.8 or something similar which has a matt affect type carbon from, how would you protect that as the bike shield is shiny.
I hate getting scratches on my frame.

Comments

• JamesBrckmn
    JamesBrckmn Posts: 1,360
    edited April 2010
    you can get this stuff, quite cheap and strong: http://www.biketart.com/products/framewrap
    and there's helicopter tape too, which is clear, and thinner than frame wrap for less obvious and better looking protection, but its less strong.
  • RealMan
    RealMan Posts: 2,166
    helicopter tape?
  • abarth_1200
    abarth_1200 Posts: 370
    I think they use it on the leading edge of helicopter blades I've heard of it but not sure
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Frame wrap is just self amalgamating electric tape, nothing special. Good stuff though.

Helicopter tape's just a sort of slangy name for 3M's clear protective tape, comes in various forms, I taped up my last frame with a motorbike tank protector I had lying about which I cut into strips and shapes, exact same stuff. Very effective.

Both these things are just commercially available produts rebadged as bike kit but they're not badly priced- you'd pay almost the exact same for self amalamating tape from Maplin. though it can be had cheaper. So probably not worth stressing over. The motorbike kit I had probably cost about 1/2 the price of biketart stuff by size but then it's a funny shape and that's still only a few quid.
    Uncompromising extremist