How to fix loose front sprocket and loose handlebar?

raymccoy
raymccoy Posts: 3
edited April 2010 in The workshop
I acquired a couple of months ago a 8 months old 2nd hand bicycle, an Ammaco Madeira.

It was just 50 pounds, and even if it was not in the best of conditions, I thought that just by changing the brake pads, inner tubes and one wheel cover would be OK.

It was indeed OK for a while after making those fixes, but now the bike is getting worse each time I use it. I try to commute to work with it but it's getting harder and more annoying every day (4 miles to and out of central London).

First, the sprocket -pedals block (forget my lack of proper terminology, I'm a noob when it comes to bike mechanics, but trying to learn!) is a bit loose, and getting looser every day. This is very annoying (feels unstable) when pedalling, makes the chain skip sometimes and in fact snapped my chain recently, which I had to replace. This is a video to make it clear:

http://yfrog.us/28dsc00085z

Is there a way I can fix this by myself? I have basic tools only, but I could buy some new ones if they are not too expensive and completely necessary.

Second, the handlebar is also getting loose at the T-joint. This is due to the metal itself getting dented with the use, as the screws are already tightened to their maximum. I suppose that adding some kind of rubber layer between the metal pieces would fix it, but I don't know if I can buy a special cut exactly for this or should I do it by myself MacGyver style. Again, a little illustrative video:

http://yfrog.us/5mdsc00087z

I would take it to a mechanic if really necessary, but given that:
1) The two bike shops around my area are closed in the morning when I go to work, and closed again by the time I'm back home, and closed during weekends.
2) I work in central London so the mechanics in that area are very expensive.
3) This bike costs new around 180 pounds, and with the fixes I have done to it the 50 pounds that I paid initally are quickly getting close to those 180 pounds. It makes me feel a bit like a moron :notamused: so I want to fix it for as little as possible.

I would prefer to do this by myself. It's educational too :)

Thank you very much for any help!

Comments

• Salsa
    Salsa Posts: 753
    It looks like both crank arms are moving left/right ? Or is it just the right crank arm that's moving?
    If it's just the drive side crank that's moving either it's come loose & just needs tightening, or it's rounded off the joint & the crank needs replacing.

If both arms are moving your bottom bracket bearings have failed, you can either replace them (£4) or upgrade the bb to a sealed unit (£10-£25).
    Either get a shop to do it or buy the following tools, 14mm socket/crank extractor/C-spanner/16mm bb spanner/fixed cup wrench. Once you take it out you may find the axle has become very worn from running failed bearings in which case a sealed bb is worth getting (this involves buying another tool).
    All those tools are expensive unless you want to re-use them in the future so it's better to take it to a shop. Also this is a part that tends to get very stuck & you may find cheap tools are not strong enough to remove the bb & you will again have to get a shop to do it.

With your stem check the underneath & you should find another bolt that holds a wedge, tighten this.

I would defiantly take it to a shop & get a mechanic to give their opinion though.
  • raymccoy
    raymccoy Posts: 3
    Both crank arms, along with the sprockets, are indeed moving, so it must be a bearings problem then.

I will take it to a shop then, I was aware that there are special tools needed for the crank area only. As I own just this bike I don't think it will be worth my while to buy them just to use them once a year!

I'll check the stem underneath and see if there's something to tighten there.

Thank you for your directions, very helpful! :)
  • Salsa
    Salsa Posts: 753
    No problem, if after tightening the wedge underneath the stem it still moves you could try taking it apart.They normally have notches that lock together so you can't put a bit of rubber in, it's worth checking though. I would personally just replace it if the notches are worn.
    Ask at the shop if they have a slighty tatty used one they can do for cheap as most shops have old spares lying about.
  • el_presidente
    el_presidente Posts: 1,963
    I'd get that stem sorted asap, you wouldn't want it failing altogether while you were riding. I would think a bikeshop could change it for maybe £20 if as Salsa said they have a cheapo one knocking about. Might not be adjustable but that shouldn't be a problem.
    <a>road</a>
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    yep there should be a bolt under the stem to tighten.

re the cranks it is hard to see how you are moving it but it does look like the crank bolt needs tightening.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Looking at the bottom bracket, it looks like the left cup is not screwed in fully, which would explain the play in the cranks.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}