Can i fit a road casette on mountain bike wheels?

loxster71
loxster71 Posts: 269
edited April 2010 in MTB beginners
:?

Hi All,

Newbie needs advice!

Just bought a set of FSA XC-300 SL wheels and am very impressed with them Looks/weight).

My question is...does a road bike cassette fit onto a mountainbike wheel and if so do i need to change the rear derailleur or chain, i'm currently using an XT rear mech?

Sorry if this comes across as a bit of a daft question but its as though i need a smaller cog on the back to get more speed on the roads ( i'm currently using it to commute through the bad weather, saving my road bike for the sunny days.)

Thanks in advance for your answers.
Giant Trance X3
Boardman Limited Edition Carbon #344
BMC Streetfire ssx( converted to flat bar Hybrid)

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    yes.

But you will not get any more speed as the smallest cog is an 11T which most MTB cassettes have and most road cassettes dont have.

you need a bigger chain ring and a longer chain.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • loxster71
    loxster71 Posts: 269
    Thanks for the quick reply!

I currently have a 2010 Deore chainset on, can i swap the largest ring for a bigger one?
    Is that what you mean?
    If so where do i look for one and how many more teeth do you think will make a difference?
    Thanks.
    Giant Trance X3
    Boardman Limited Edition Carbon #344
    BMC Streetfire ssx( converted to flat bar Hybrid)
  • SDK2007
    SDK2007 Posts: 782
    You can swap the front 44 for a bigger ring but you'll also need to check if your front derailleur has clearance for a 48+