How are you finding the Elixirs?
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    Spiderman - cheers! Brakes feel utterly brilliant to me. TBH I haven't tried loads of disk brakes but these are roughly 5755394390578 times better than my Juicy 5s which I always struggled to trust completely.

I matched my record time for a regular route with almost no effort (previously set by half killing myself) - the better brakes and smoothness overall just makes the bike so much quicker!

More power, brilliant modulation/control and totally confidence inspiring.

The rest of the upgrades are also superb and glad I used a really good bike mechanic too.

Only thing left (on order) is a Hope rear wheel - Hope Pro 2 on xc717 rim. Should be fitted on Friday.

Cool! 8)
  • *AL*
    *AL* Posts: 1,185
    Some nice upgrades there Matt 8)

I must admit, I have a big soft spot for the Elixir CR. I have them on my Stumpy, albeit with a 185 rotor on the front and they've been absolutely faultless.
    Superstar organic pads are a nice upgrade (and far cheaper) for the summer months when the Avids pads eventually die.

You'll have to let us know your 1st impressions of the Hope Pro 2.
    I'm looking to fit my Epic's XR4.2's on my Stumpy and replace them with Stans 355 ? and the Pro 2 hubs are looking favourite at the moment.

Who's building up your rim for you ?
  • BigJimmyB
    BigJimmyB Posts: 1,302
    *AL* wrote:
    Superstar organic pads are a nice upgrade (and far cheaper) for the summer months when the Avids pads eventually die.

And they will die, quickly. Mine are fecked after <6 months of not too heavy usage - a joke really. On my old bike I had Juicy Carbons and the pads lasted 18 months....

Got some SuperStar organics yesterday, fitting tomorrow prior to a trip to CwmCarn - if they are as good as I've read, at £5.49 a pair with no delivery charge, it's a no-brainer....
  • Surf-Matt
    Al - sorry only just spotted this!

Wheel is now being bought from Hope so they'll build it at the factory (by hand) but used this guy for the rest of the work - he builds a lot of wheels!

http://www.revolvebicycleworks.com/Revo ... /Home.html

The service has been top notch and he picks up and delivers back too. Highly recommended.

Will let you know about the Hope 2s - a little nervous of how noisy they are but I'm sure I'll get used to it.

I'm ordering some Superstars as soon as they come back in stock! Would you rate organics over sintereds then?
  • *AL*
    *AL* Posts: 1,185
    Surf-Matt wrote:
    I'm ordering some Superstars as soon as they come back in stock! Would you rate organics over sintereds then?

Horses for courses Matt.

The sintered are a bit OTT for summer use (imho) they're very hard compound so you're just wearing down the discs for little benefit, but highly recommended for the winter months where highly abrasive conditions or on massive downhill sections where you're hammering the brakes that would eat up softer pads.

The organics are a softer pad and work better from cold, so you get great modulation every time you pull the lever and good pad life when you're lighter on the brakes, ideal for summertime XC or trail use.
  • Surf-Matt
    I've used kevlars (good but don't last) organics and sintered - I leant towards sintereds with the Juicy 5s mainly because I HATED changing pads in them!

If the Elixirs are much easier, which apparently there are, then I'll go for whatever stops me quickest!
  • mrfmilo
    mrfmilo Posts: 2,250
    You're not advertising your Juicys very well here Matt! :lol::lol:
  • Surf-Matt
    mrfmilo wrote:
    You're not advertising your Juicys very well here Matt! :lol::lol:

I think it's common knowledge that Juicy pad replacment isn't the best :wink:
  • MAtt, if you can find them for your brakes then the Clarks Carbon lorainne compound pads are Very good! minimal noise, Good power and life,
    the pad compound is used on Track pads for quite a lot fo different motors now!
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • mrfmilo
    mrfmilo Posts: 2,250
    these are roughly 5755394390578 times better than my Juicy 5s which I always struggled to trust completely
    ^^ :lol:

Btw I've used 3's and 3SL's and the pad replacement has been quick and easy for me? My favourite in fact..... :P
  • Surf-Matt
    Oh yes...

Maybe I'm just a pad replacing retard?

Timmo - might check them out!