Did 12 miles yesterday - ecstatic

DomWint
DomWint Posts: 59
edited April 2010 in MTB beginners
Hello to you all

Newbie to this cycling lark but got a weekend's riding in the Peak District set up for June so need to get some miles in. Did nine miles last week along roads, then 12 miles yesterday on roads and a bit of off-road around a reservoir. Couple of steady climbs. Feel absolutely brilliant. Am not the fittest but enjoyed being out in the fresh air immensely. Much better than being stuck in a gym. Hoping to get out another couple of times this week and put in a few mammoth rides as the weeks progress.

Still not so good at going down steeper hills though. Very nervy when the back wheel starts skidding.

Was a bit annoyed when I worked out I did the distance in 1h 30mins - so at that pace, a marathon runner could finish a marathon on foot faster than me on my bike! Still...

Comments

• Don't worry about the pace you were going at. Marathon runners don't have the extra weight of a bike to deal with when they're going uphill. And they don't normally have to go off-road either.

Just concentrate on all the positives you mentioned and your pace will get quicker without you even noticing it.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    good work, I must say I feel sorry for people who sit in traffic to get to the gym, and then spend an hour on an exercise bike staring at a wall or watching Sky Sports News!

If you enjoy, you'll keep doing it. I did over 60 miles last week which is a record for me, by a fair bit. Not once did I think "Urgh, better go out on the bike", instead I got home from work, looked out at the sunshine and thought "wow, I really want to go for a ride" :D
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • DomWint
    60 miles? Jebus.

I think I could have kept going for a little while longer but I was mindful of the time. Didn't even think I'd been out as long as I had. It would sometimes be nicer to live somewhere that didn't have so many hills (Saddleworth). Eyeing up a ride across Wessenden moor and back through Marsden (20-ish miles) but can see myself getting stuck halfway up a hill and having a long trek home.

Do any of you guys use MapMyRide (or something similar) to work out routes or do you just get on your bikes and bomb off?

One final question: does your bum get used to the pounding (if you'll pardon the expression)? Got some padded shorts but, well, OUCH! :oops:
  • forgotrafe
    forgotrafe Posts: 637
    Well done you! I remember the first time I did more than 10 miles - it felt fantastic.

Re downhill/the back wheel, you need to get your bum a bit further back in the saddle and all will be good.

Get on a beginners MTB course if you can, it'll cost £60-£80 (or in the free if you're anywhere near Swindon as I'm running some free courses over the summer) depending on who you do it with, but you'll get more from that than any bit of bike bling.
  • DomWint
    Thanks for the offer but I'm a bit far from Swindon.

TBH, I think I buck the trend when it comes to bling. I'm as tight as a duck's arse. Same with buying kit for my guitar. I'd much rather stubbornly stick to what I've got and just work with it.

I'll have a look for any courses around me. Think it may well be worth my while if I'm to get over the fear of falling off.
  • forgotrafe
    forgotrafe Posts: 637
    Def get on a course if you can - there's bound to be someone that runs them in your area.

I can highly recommend Helen @ http://www.getmountainbiking.co.uk/ (Milton Keynes/Northampton) or Emmy @ http://www.mountainbikeskillscourses.co.uk/ (Peak District) if any of those locations are better for you.

I'm envious of tight people - I spend money to readily! However I can promise you that even as someone adverse to spending money, you will feel you've invested wisely.
  • kaytronika
    kaytronika Posts: 580
    I think I know exactly how you feel! I managed 14 miles on the East Lancs on Friday after doing little or no cycling for ten years. It's a great feeling to get back and have that 'I want to go out again!' feeling in the back of my head again. Think I'll try Rivington next, make sure I can still actually ride off road. I used to haunt that place when I was 16, every Sunday on my Timberline FS.

Well done! Your confidence on the downhills will come with time.
    --
    '09 Carrera Fury
    '94 GT Timberline FS
    '89 Saracen Tufftrax
  • Porgy
    Porgy Posts: 4,525
    DomWint wrote:
    One final question: does your bum get used to the pounding (if you'll pardon the expression)? Got some padded shorts but, well, OUCH! :oops:

It does go - but if you ever have more than a couple of weeks off the bike and then start again it comes back.
  • DomWint
    @kaytronika

You must be up round us then. Supposed to be riding somewhere around Winter Hill with the brother-in-law at the weekend. Did another six miles yesterday just to keep my legs moving. Am hoping to tackle the road up over Wessenden Moor and through Marsden next week when I've got a day off. Got a real taste for it now. Every hour I'm sat at work I'm thinking "I'd rather be out on the bike."

@Porgy

That's good to know. I'll keep at it. Cheers.
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    DomWint wrote:

Give your ar5e a break.

Get yourself some proper Lycra cycling shorts and wear them under a pair of baggy shorts. If your planning on upping your distance they could be (will be IMO) one of the best investments you will make. You will not regret it, you will only regret not buying them sooner!

It took me 2 years to build up the courage to even wear a pair, Ignorance is bliss as they say.

I don't ride anywhere without them now.
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    The downhills come with time, or... stick yourself at the top of a big 'un and bomb down :wink: soon you'll love having all the hills around to bomb down :D
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy