Talking about pains

Kieran_Burns
Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
edited April 2010 in Commuting chat
My feet were KILLING me when I set off last night :?

I mean so painful I couldn't press down on the pedals without wincing.

I stopped and retied the laces on the shoes to make them a little looser, and this did help. I did still have a slight pain, mainly on the outside of the foot on both feet for a while longer. It did fade to a dull ache after 5 miles or so and I was pretty much fine afterwards.

Any explanation? I figure the laces were too tight but I've never had this problem before
Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
2011 Trek Madone 4.5
2012 Felt F65X
Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter

Comments

• kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    I've had something similar. Might be something to do with nerves being pinched, then the problem resolves itself when its released.

My attempt at a medical explanation :?
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    over tight shoes force your feet to flex incorrectly as you apply pressure. so all the multitude of tendons, muscles and ligaments can go screwey fast and then stay annoyed for a while.

I found it very easy to over tighten my velco straps and not notice till 2-3 mins into riding.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    all the multitude of tendons, muscles and ligaments can go screwey fast and then stay annoyed for a while.

Dammit! He explains it so much better than me! :x
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    +1 to MM.

I managed to pull something in my foot (probably but not 100% certainly) by having my shoes over-tightened. The pain you're describing down the outside of the foot sounds exactly like what I had - opposite the arch?

It's very easy to overtighten shoes, I now do them up really loosely and tighten them if I feel the need to.

My foot hurt for about a week...
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Yup - along the outside of the foot - a VERY sharp pain. I couldn't even stand on them for a while.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Yup - along the outside of the foot - a VERY sharp pain. I couldn't even stand on them for a while.

Yeah, sounds like you've had a harsher reaction, but mine was like a cramp in my foot. Then I ignored it for a while and then my foot went numb.

Good times.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Yep, sounds like what happens to me when I overtighten my shoes.
    My right foot is affected more that my left probably due to having stress fractured a metatarsal (stupid running) and knackering tendons playing 5-a-side footie... I now put 'do not go beyond' marks on the straps/ratchets.
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides