Back Pain

Wallace1492
Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
edited April 2010 in Commuting chat
I ride quite a lot. Mostly not long distances (less than 20 miles).
However, recently I have done a few longer ones, 57 at the weekend, and a couple of 30ish runs over Easter.

What I get is a slight pain on the lower right side at the small of my back. Doesn't stop me riding, and clears up quite quickly after stopping riding, but it literally is a pain.

Any ideas what could cause it, and/or how to sort.

I am thinking could be saddle position - although I feel it is comfortable, maybe a slight up/down forwards/backwards may help, what should I try first?

Thanks.
"Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"

Comments

• suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Maybe you're just not used to being in that position for so long. I did my first 30 mile run last week and my bottom is still a bit sore from it.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    My lower back pain was attibuted to having too long a stem.

My neck/shoulder pain was due to having too short a stem.

You may have the same issue.

I'm curretly running a stem which is arguably 10mm longer than I should have but it works for me at the moment.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Medders
    Medders Posts: 152
    Sympathise on this as I get exactly the same problem. Never used to till I bought the touche a few months ago.

Tends to come on after about 8/10 miles or really hard efforts. Stops as soon as I am off the bike.

I am going to try a shorter stem - am currently quite low and stretched out on the 58 frame (reckon I should have had a 56). That combined with saddle height maybe (which I have tweaked a few times now)...but is really quite painful when in full flow. Sitting up riding no hands to to relieve it a bit but that creates other hazards...

Sorry that didnt help very much... :oops:

I would try saddle height and position and also think about stem length.

Riding:
    Canyon Nerve AL9.9 2014
    Honda CBR600f 2013
    Condor Fratello 2010
    Cervelo RS 2009
    Specialized Rockhopper Pro 2008
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Oh aye...

I have a similar problem hurdling.
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    Greg T wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Oh aye...

I have a similar problem hurdling.

Vintage Greg T!

Chapeau Sir
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • Wallace1492
    Would adjusting the saddle height make any difference? I feel comfortable with the height as it is. Never thought about stem length. Probably have standard length on the Tricross, and it does feel comfortable for my usual commute (7 to 15 miles) But when I go over 20 that is when I get th pain. may just have to MTFU and get used to it, might just be not being used to it. As I said it is not too bad, so happy to try and see if persistance pays.

Putting in extra miles as I am doing the Etape Caledonia in mid May, further than I have ever cycled at 81 miles.... wish me luck!!
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Could be a slight muscular imbalance in your core muscles. I get a similar ache in the lower left back after a few hours on the bike, especially if there has been a lot of out of the saddle climbing. I'm fairly sure my imbalance is due to sitting at a desk all day: I tend to slump to the left a bit when I'm not thinking about posture. Core work helps, especially exercises like the plank.
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Wallace1492
    well, was at circuits tonight and did some of the plank, hope it helps! It is murder! Cheers.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    stretch your hip flexors and work on your glute strength alongside core work.