hands vs schwalbe

zrazzle
zrazzle Posts: 79
edited April 2010 in Commuting chat
just bought a schwalbe marathon tyre as was sick of getting punctures. Changed it at lunch with seconds to spare but f88k that was tough!!! Bloody knuckles and blood smeared tyre. I'll leave the blood on the tyre as a testemant to this victory. If the inner tube I fixed has gone flat when I go back and check in a bit i'm gonna throw the bike in the river.

Probably should have posted this elsewhere but what you gonna do!

Comments

• Eau Rouge
    Eau Rouge Posts: 1,118
    zrazzle wrote:
    just bought a schwalbe marathon tyre as was sick of getting punctures. Changed it at lunch with seconds to spare but f88k that was tough!!! Bloody knuckles and blood smeared tyre. I'll leave the blood on the tyre as a testemant to this victory. If the inner tube I fixed has gone flat when I go back and check in a bit i'm gonna throw the bike in the river.

Probably should have posted this elsewhere but what you gonna do!

A lot of tyre-rim conbinations are like that, impossible to fit at first. Once the tyre has been on the rim for a while it's much easier to get on and off again later.
    I had a set once that simply would not go onto the rims no matter what I tried. I eventually managed to get them on without the inner tubes in, left it till the next day and then had no trouible putting the inner tubes in.
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    When i put my Marathon Plus on it was horrific. Took and age to squeeze them on. Then when I inflated tube to 90 psi, after disconnecting track pump, and before putting wheel on bike, (was doing this in living room) there was an almighty explosion, as the tube must have been pinched by the tyre and decided to tear big time. My ears felt they were bleeding....

Lets just say that fitting the next tube I was very careful.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,414
    Had to help a colleague get some Conti Gatorskins onto some Campag Ventos once. Took two of us and nearly snapped my tyre levers. Apparently those wheels are famous for it.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • zrazzle
    I bought some elastic cords as well, which I used to hold the tyre in place as I went around. Would have been impossible without them!!
  • Buckled_Rims
    Buckled_Rims Posts: 1,648
    Welcome to the club :D How many times the word "F**k" was said putting on 1 tyre? I must have done at lest 167 :lol:

Yep, I had trouble sticking my Marathons on as well. Someone mentioned if you put a little bit Fairy Liquid around the rim it'll slip on better. I'm going to buy some cheaper wheels soon and will transfer the Marathons onto them so I'll soon find out :wink:
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • bunter
    bunter Posts: 327
    hair dryer on bead of tyre makes it hot & soft & and a lot easier to fit. Marathon + gave me sore thumbs for weeks. Only had one puncture since fitting.
  • zrazzle
    I think 'f88k' only slipped out about ten times actually! There was a workman digging up pavement next to me so I was trying to act tough and cool throughout...I did pump my fist in the air once it had all gone on though 8)
  • risi
    risi Posts: 231
    I had the same problem getting my Continental tyres onto my Fulcrum 5 Evos - I could get one on, but in the end had to go to a bike shop (Strada, Bristol) to get them to fit the other :oops: (my hands were a mess)
    The guy in there fitted it in 2 minutes flat with no tools - obviously I just haven't got the technique. The trouble is that the tyres need replacing now - anyone got any recommendations for tyres that aren't too tight on Fulcrum rims?
    Specialized Allez
    Trek 6500
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    risi wrote:
    The trouble is that the tyres need replacing now - anyone got any recommendations for tyres that aren't too tight on Fulcrum rims?

Durano Pluses. I've found these easier than Gatorskins (which I didn't really find that bad), but no idea what they're like on Fulcrums.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Broke 2 tyre levers trying to put some vredesteins onto khamsin rims. Enlisted the help of Clever Pun and Jonginge, took them a while!
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Scirrocos were not much better, whether with Vredesteins or Krylions. Actually, they were horrible with Krylions.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Hmm. Sciroccos, khamsins, ventos. There's probably a connection I'm just not seeing...
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • rjsterry
    La la la la Campy can do no wrong la la la la :roll:
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• lost_in_thought
    JonGinge wrote:
    Hmm. Sciroccos, khamsins, ventos. There's probably a connection I'm just not seeing...

Interesting!

Fulcrums too, aren't they somehow made by campy?
  • risi
    risi Posts: 231
    JonGinge wrote:

Interesting!

Fulcrum is wholly owned by Campagnolo.
    Specialized Allez
    Trek 6500
  • Mikelyons
    Mikelyons Posts: 154
    Never fitted Marathon pluses to 700c rims, but I can confirm they are an absolute swine to fit to the 16" wheels on a Brompton.

I have suffered pinch flats, bleeding fingers & thumbs & have also broken off part of tyre lever inside the tyre ready to cause the next puncture 5 minutes later

Have resorted to washing-up liquid at home which helps.

I've also found that the side-walls of these tyres is very vulnerable to damage if you ever run flat on these. I know that's a bad idea, but sometimes you have no choice.

The last puncture i ever had on my Brompton was in the middle of the IMAX r/bout near Waterloo. Got to other side of r/bout & fiited spare tube & pumped up, only to see the tube bulging out through a split in the side wall of a tyre that was only 1 month old.

The only consolation was Evans were down the road & I could replace the tyre at home.

Mike
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    risi wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:

Interesting!

That's just the thin end of the wedge!

I just typed 'fulcrum' into my google search thingy. The first popup result was: 'tyres difficult to fit on fulcrums' :lol:
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • lost_in_thought
    risi wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:

Interesting!

*strokes imaginary beard in a thoughtful manner

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Do campy also make tyres?
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    What's all this talk of slippery rims...? :roll:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • rjsterry
    itboffin wrote:
    What's all this talk of slippery rims...? :roll:

Greg T is back now, leave it to the pros :wink:
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• essex-commuter
    essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
    Eau Rouge wrote:
    . Once the tyre has been on the rim for a while it's much easier to get on and off again later.

I can confirm this is indeed true. Back on the 27th October 2009 (I keep records, saddo!) I fitted a new Marathon Plus...and posted on here the nightmare I had. About a month ago I got a very slow puncture (loses 50psi a week) and only today did I change it..wasn't looking forward to it I must admit! Tyre off, new tube in, tyre back...all with just two levers and about 10 minutes of my time...piece of cake...phew.

Couldn't find the puncture, thinking it might be a leaky valve...I've left the tube pumped up in my garage to see what happens anyway.
  • Eau Rouge
    Eau Rouge Posts: 1,118
    risi wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:

Interesting!

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

I had no trouble getting some Vittoria tyres on my Fulcrums. Maybe it's an Italian conspiracy?
  • lost_in_thought
    Eau Rouge wrote:
    risi wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:

Interesting!

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

I had no trouble getting some Vittoria tyres on my Fulcrums. Maybe it's an Italian conspiracy?

That would not surprise me one bit... Pesky i-tals.

My french wheels and german tyres seem to get along, but you try putting a dutch tyre on italian wheels... and you get what's coming to you.
  • Tariq
    Tariq Posts: 55
    I have twice put Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres (700 x 32) on two different sets of rims, on each occasion I had no trouble. I used some cable ties to hold down each section as I went around and used one lever for the final section only.

I have had one puncture in approx 3000 miles and the tyres have plenty of tread left. Using these tyres has transformed my cycling enjoyment. I pump them up to 95psi, I just hope they do not blow up one day as I am pumping them, what a noise that would be.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Eau Rouge wrote:
    risi wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:

Interesting!

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Putting Vittoria Open Paves on my Scirroccos for the first time was a complete nightmare.
    About half an hour for each wheel :shock:
    So no Italian conspiricy there.

It eased the more times I took them off and put them on.
    I recommend fitting tyres a couple of times without inner tubes just to "break" them in.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Tariq wrote:
    I have twice put Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres (700 x 32) on two different sets of rims, on each occasion I had no trouble. I used some cable ties to hold down each section as I went around and used one lever for the final section only.

I have had one puncture in approx 3000 miles and the tyres have plenty of tread left. Using these tyres has transformed my cycling enjoyment. I pump them up to 95psi, I just hope they do not blow up one day as I am pumping them, what a noise that would be.

It is a very loud noise!!!! Mine went in the living room as I was pumping up, rim of the Marathon Plus must have pinched tube.....
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    I think a lot of this is down to technique. I can fit any tyre onto my Fulcrum rim with no tyre lever in less than 2 min.

In fact the Open Paves took me probably even less than that.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • the_prophet
    the_prophet Posts: 426
    When i put my Marathon Plus on it was horrific. Took and age to squeeze them on. Then when I inflated tube to 90 psi, after disconnecting track pump, and before putting wheel on bike, (was doing this in living room) there was an almighty explosion, as the tube must have been pinched by the tyre and decided to tear big time. My ears felt they were bleeding....

exactly the same thing happpend to me on sunday, abeilt with a different set of tyres. was blood all of the rims, the carpet and the table. carnage. ears were ringing for a good while after....
  • lardboy
    lardboy Posts: 343
    Conti Gatorskins on Velocity Aeroheads 650s are an absolute behotch. 2 broken tyre levers, numerous scraped knuckles and a hairdryer. They'd better stay inflated now. Especially as I can't get any spare tubes for a few days.
    Bike/Train commuter: Brompton S2L - "Machete"
    12mile each way commuter: '11 Boardman CX with guards and rack
    For fun: '11 Wilier La Triestina
    SS: '07 Kona Smoke with yellow bits
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660

don't be so sure, did you hear a little creak before the world went bang? I have a problem with one of my marathons (big uns 700 x 38's) that they or the rim aren't exactly the right size, I have one that blows like this very readily when the mood takes it, damn near took my fingers off once, invariably the tube is ok but it has ripped big style before, I use 2 layers of rim tape and still don't dare pump it up to full pressure. the noise is quite special innit.