Is my chain buggered now?

antfly
antfly Posts: 3,276
edited April 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi. I was just swapping my 9 speed chain for another used one and I used the Shimano connecting pin as it`s a Shimano chain but I stupidly put the chain on wrong. I backed out the connecting pin, put the chain on right and retightened the connecting pin again. So the question is will it be ok as it is and if not would a new connecting pin in the same place make any difference or should I just forget about it and ride? Thanks for listening.
Smarter than the average bear.

Comments

• antfly
    Thanks, that could well be the answer but is my chain likely to break as it is now?
  • stu8975
    stu8975 Posts: 1,334
    You wont really know until you have used it, may seem ok now, but once its been up/down the cassette and rings, flexed sideways etc, then you will find out if it holds, defo recommend having spare missing links, I've snapped every shimano chain (xt/xtr) chain I've had..used Kmc for the last couple of years without any probs.
  • BG2000
    BG2000 Posts: 517
    Yes, your chain is still at risk. You could take a chance, but I'd take a look at the link youv'e joined up daily. Make sure the link plates aren't splaying out, or the link is becoming stiffer.

But for the sake of a few quid, remove the link that you've joined and fit an SRAM magic link.

A bit more info...

Once you've moved a rivet in a chain (using a rivet extractor tool), that becomes the 'weakest link' and it will probably snap there - especially if it's a Shimano chain.

The rivets are cold pressed on new chains at the factory, so they are strong enough.

I've been using SRAM chains with the magic link (as per big benj_08's recommendation) on all 5 of my bikes (all get a real hammering in races) and never had a problem. Prior to that, I was snapping Shimano/Campag chains that I'd joined using a rivet tool.
  • antfly
    Thanks for the advice, I think i`ll get a powerlink.