Question Time?

sonny73
sonny73 Posts: 2,203
edited April 2010 in Pro race
I was given an old second hand ex-library Tour de France book by a mate for Christmas; in the back its got some cracking and useless facts and I thought you chaps may enjoy guessing at one or two of them. Some I am sure will know the answers to but hey.

1. Which current pro-cycling commentator was once an elephant keeper?
2. Which team was unable to make the 1975 Tour because their sponsor had been kidnapped and once the ransom had been paid there was too little money left for the team?
3. Which multi Tour winning rider had a Dutch woman turn up at his house demanding he make love to her immediately. When he refused she began swearing; he recognized they were swear words because he'd heard them from the Dutch cyclists in the peloton.
4. Who describe Eddy Merckx as 'The biggest cry-baby in the business... if he is beaten it is because of some mishap; if someone else wins then either Eddy would have won if he had been riding or the other man beat nobody.'?
5. What year saw a stage cancelled for the first time due to weather; July 8th snow closed the Iseran and Galibier passes?

Enjoy :wink:

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I know the first one !
    And the 5th - was it cancelled or shortened ? I was waiting at the top of the Telegraphe when they all came over in their team cars. I think Riis won that short stage ?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    no. 3 is definitely Hinault - I've heard that story before.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    4 is probably Maertens, given the mutual love in there.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • sonny73
    edited April 2010
    cougie: 5. Well it says cancelled, but indeed if you read on in the book it says they did a shortended version, 46k but no more and correct it was won by Bjarne Riis at Sestriere and the year was?

RichN95: 3. Correct Hinault it is.

Timoid: 4. Not Maertens.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,114
    Number one is Liggett.

Number 5 was 1996.
  • sonny73
    andyp: 1 and 5 correct.
  • ju5t1n
    ju5t1n Posts: 2,028
    4. De Vlaeminck?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    For no. 4, the phrase 'cry-baby' makes me think it was said originally in English and hasn't been translated, which would mean either Barry Hoban or someone dutch, like Zoetemelk. But they don't really seem like a good fit.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • sonny73
    RichN95: bravo i'll give you that, you should be a copper it was Barry Hoban!!