a tyres thread

snellgrove
snellgrove Posts: 171
edited April 2010 in Commuting chat
OK please forgive me, but I'll start this thread by gloating a tad....

I bought my bike in 2006 and it came with Conti. sport 2000 tyres on it.

It's done thousands of miles now, through winters and crap roads etc.... and I just had my first puncture this morning

:D

I believe this down to bike+rider = 60kgs more than any other factor.

But, anyway.. I need new tyres, bike shop did advise me a few weeks ago that they were a little thin :lol: So, recommendations?

Although I commute, I use the same bike to do weekend rides and sportives etc. So primarily, I want a fast, fun tyre not an armoured heavyweight commuting tyre that never punctures.

I quite like the look of the conti grand prix 4000 black chili (probably better than my sport 2000's in all aspects, due to it being a more premium product)

What tyres have you used and how many punctures would you say you've had on them, and perhaps importantly, did you enjoy using those tyres as well?

Comments

• Wooliferkins
    Wooliferkins Posts: 2,060
    See what happens when you are weightless! I use Gatorskins to commute and have had no problems but I am considerably heavier than you. They last me about 2-3000 miles. Going from discussions here and elsewhere you get a better PF factor if you keep them inflated on the high side of the recommended.
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • When I used to cycle as a student I rarely had punctures in fact two at most.

I weighed about 6 stone less then so I'll let you all know if heavier cyclists get more punctures over the coming weeks. :wink:
    Giant Escape M1....
    Penny Farthing
    Unicycle
    The bike the Goodies rode
    Pogo Stick
    Donkey on Roller skates.......OK I'm lying, but I am down to one bike right now and I feel bad about it,
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    I use Durano Pluses for commuting - they are the business.

However, if you want to ride the bike during the summer sportives, then invest in some quality tyres: you know, it's a bl00dy great feeling cornering on grippy tyres in the summer. :D
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    Schwalbe Stelvios seem to work for me.

Not puncture proof, but not too shabby - I never felt I had an untoward number of punctures until the tyre was clearly knackered.

Reckon the rear lasts for somewhere between 2000 and 3000 miles, the front on the sadly departed commuter must have been on about 6000 (but really did need changing).
  • amnezia
    amnezia Posts: 590
    if you are doing sportives on the same bike then get the GP4000s, i used to have them on my commuting bike. Very quick and surprisingly puncture resistant.
  • BR 1979
    BR 1979 Posts: 296
    I use Bontrager Hardcases. Little chance of a puncture, and when you ride over any sort of ironworks/manhole covers in the wet you get a lovely little flutter in the ticker. :shock: :o
  • jangle
    jangle Posts: 114
    I have the Conti 4 Seasons, bit priceier but I have never had a puncture on them and I commute through town and country. They are very grippy in the wet and dry and are suitable for sportives as well.
  • Zulu dawn
    Zulu dawn Posts: 11
    I fully concure with Jangle, I run on Conti four seasons and like wise roll through a mixture of countryside and urban roads. I have run mine for at least 2000 mls with no visits from the flat fairy. In perspective I am 30 kgs in advance of yourself, a one time criterium racer and now long haul commuter and find them fast and grippy no matter the weather.
    ..............................................................................................

You have much to learn Padawan.

Do or Don't ... there is no try.
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,707
    BR 1979 wrote:
    I use Bontrager Hardcases.
    Great tough, long lasting tyres. But they're a touch heavy and slow for comparing with, say GP 4 Seasons. After all, the OP stated "I want a fast, fun tyre not an armoured heavyweight commuting tyre that never punctures".

I've just swapped to the Bontrager Race X Lite Hardcase and they definitely roll better than the cheaper version. Although it's early days I'm liking the lighter version (also with the "triple protection") rather more.

Otherwise I'd say that Krylion Carbon, Schwalbe Durano - which has heavier Plus or lighter S versions - and Rubino Pro III are worth a look.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    I have been running Vittoria Open Corsa Evo CG's and have been impressed. Not cheap, but reasonably light, grippy and tough. Worth considering.
  • 0scar
    0scar Posts: 219
    My back tyre is just about gone - Conti 2000 like the first poster - but the front is still fine. If I put a new Conti 4000 on the back but keep the old Conti 2000 on the front will that give me any funny results?
    Commuter: Taped-up black Trek 2200 (FCN 5)
    Shiny bike: Pinarello FP2 (FCN 3)
  • System_1
    System_1 Posts: 513
    I've never really got on with Conti tyres. Used Gatorskins, Ultra Sports and GP3000 in the past and they've all had two things in common: a PITA to get on rims and they go in the bin due to big cuts long before they wear out. That's just personal experience of course, and thousands of folk swear by them, but I've been put off the brand in general.

I've been running Vredestein Fortezza Tricomps for years now. Lovely tyres! I wouldn't describe them as a commuting tyre but IME if your after a fast comfortable tyre they have good puncture protection (I won't tempt fate and tell you how few punctures I've picked up over the years), fantastic grip both wet and dry, and they feel much more supple/comfortable than anything else I've used, even at high pressure (130psi). They do wear a bit quicker than most (maybe 1500-2000 miles under my fat a**e) but they brought out a 'Quattro' version last year, which is their 4 seasons tyre with extra protection/durability, that might be better suited to commuting.

I've also heard very good things about Vittoria Diamante Pro, and they may just be the tyre that tempts me away from my beloved Vredesteins when they're next due for renewal.